Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 W164 ML500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Does anyone have any idea of the pin-outs for the japanese version of the NTG2

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
I would have said they were all the same, and the only difference is in the comand, I can check but its very time consuming.

·
6,543 Posts
Oh dear that really is different, I think that I would fit something else, my 2008 comand is very dated, that will be a headache to work out.

·
6,543 Posts
Yes it is all there in WIS,but doing this job in a very confined hole in the dash is very hard to do, all the connections are only just long enough to be able to unplug them.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
Yes it is all there in WIS,but doing this job in a very confined hole in the dash is very hard to do, all the connections are only just long enough to be able to unplug them.
He just asked the pin-out. I have no idea what he is trying to do (was not explained here) and cannot judge if it is too complicated or not (and I don't know how experienced he is). I'd better leave conclusions for the OP.

·
Registered
2007 W164 ML500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys

Thanks for the Dialogue.
The Japanese version of Comand NTG2 as shown has almost no functionality out of Japan. The radio is going ( using a band extender ) also CD and CD changer. But the Navigation doesn't work and the clock is running on Japan time and cannot be changed.
I have bought a UK NTG2 with video input.
My plan is to Graft the UK unit into the car. Then the only thing that won't work is the phone. I will eventually install a Fiscon Bluetooth phone module.

Would some kind soul with access to WIS help a stranger from New Zealand :rolleyes:

·
6,543 Posts
It is a pig trying to print of diagrams as just so many pages, I will try and print off some details for the NGT2 and see if I can merge them all on one PDF.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Would some kind soul with access to WIS help a stranger from New Zealand :rolleyes:
Printing the pdf is a couple of clicks and a couple of seconds. It takes more time to find the correct diagram and this may be even impossible if the vehicle is unknown. Are you after your W164 diagrams?

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 W164 ML500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the effort guys.

I have attached a pic of the kind of diagram I am looking for. This is for the UK NTG2 that I want to fit.

I am looking for a similar diagram for the Japanese unit.

Some extra info might help:

Chassis No. WDC1641752A025967
Comm No. 0583909268
Comand part number. A 164 820 05 79

Attachments

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
I am looking for a similar diagram for the Japanese unit.

Some extra info might help:
Comand part number. A 164 820 05 79
The connectors and pin assignments can be found from the wiring diagram as well. Each connector has pin numbers indicated, WIS typically does not have connector photos or equivalent drawings. StarFinder would be better for that.

According to EPC, your current COMAND head unit should be either A1648208189 or A1648700989.

For some odd reason the 529 COMAND wiring diagram was not included, perhaps there is another head unit with the same wiring but WIS should have mentioned that too.

·
Registered
2008 ML550 (W164)
9 Posts
Steve - I am really interested in this thread as I am looking to buy an ML500 import in Auckland and have run into the same issues.

Have you looked at the Dynavin MBML replacement option? If so I would be interested in your comments. This system is installed in Auckland by Autogravity and their website seems to indicate that they can successfully get the whole thing working with the Harmon Kardon sound/GPS/bluetooth/iPod integration/etc. I will give them a call on Tuesday to check. Only thing it is a pretty expensive option - will be around $2.5k installed.

Also I have seen a thread about the dashboard clock which says that it is picking up satellite time from Tokyo and that it cannot be reset through Comand - have you worked that one out yet?

Be keen to get your feedback as I have a good vehicle in my sights but don't want to purchase until I am sure of how I can sort this issue out.

·
Registered
2007 W164 ML500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Dave
As II understand it the clock takes its time from the Comand which is currently not getting any signal from the Jap satellites and is therefore stuck on Japanese time. If you remove the comand and have the car coded to say that a Comand is not present a new menu will appear on the steering wheel controls that will allow the clock to be adjusted.
I agree the Dynavin looks like the best option. I think the Dynavin MOST unit is available for other car types but not the ML. If it does not have MOST ( the fibre optic connection ) it will not drive the Harman Kardon amplifier.
A standard Dynavin unit ( not MOST ) is the way to go. The standard analogue outputs will be connected directly to the speakers and the car coded so that the clock works.
I have picked all of this info up from the web or by discussion with third parties. I cannot guarantee that this is entirely correct. Auto Gravity will be able to clear this up.

·
Registered
2008 ML550 (W164)
9 Posts
Thanks Steve - that makes sense to me and also correlates with what I have read on the Net. It seems a real pity to bypass the fibre interface and the HK amplifier, but maybe if I put in a new high quality amp it will be ok. It looks like this lot will come to around $3K by the time one is finished. I will give Autogravity a call tomorrow and see what they have to say and post back here.

·
6,543 Posts
Thanks Steve - that makes sense to me and also correlates with what I have read on the Net. It seems a real pity to bypass the fibre interface and the HK amplifier, but maybe if I put in a new high quality amp it will be ok. It looks like this lot will come to around $3K by the time one is finished. I will give Autogravity a call tomorrow and see what they have to say and post back here.
Do not forget that the Harmon amps will sell very well, they are very expensive.

There is an adapter made for the Bose loudspeaker connections, not sure if there is one for the Harmon

·
Registered
2008 ML550 (W164)
9 Posts
Hi Malcolm thanks for that advice.
Steve I got the following response from Autogravity - I think this is the route I will go:-

Hi Dave

Thanks for detailed information regarding your purchase of ML500.
Yes, we did exactly the same model before, the job was one of the most difficult job for installing Dynavin unit.
The unit provide full original steering wheel control, USB, Ipod, bluetooth, bluetooth hands free, NZ GPS and compatible with instrument cluster display for radio station name, phone calling number, etc.
Regarding the installation, last time we have used two sets of SONY crossover and 1 set of Pioneer amp
the full price include unit, GPS map, extra two crossover, 1 extra amp and installation will be $1699+$200+$200+$800, 2 days job.
if you provide crossover and amp, we charge $2499
reverse camera normally $699, for this package deal, we do $399.
let me know what you think, cheers.

Regards

Kyo
Auto Gravity

·
Registered
Some older and newer SLs
1 Posts
Hello everybody

I have the same problem with a japanese Comand in a W220 from year 2003. Nice car, but no radio is a show stopper. Anybody knows on any adapter cables or any other ideas to make it work? Is it only a question of the pins or is there another issue?
Thanks for any help on this topic!

·
6,543 Posts
I would change the comand over, the comand 2.5 as fitted are very dated now, but this earlier version could be plug and play, making a simple job.

I think it may all come down to if the car has Bose, if it has then keep to a 2.5, if not change it to another of your choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts