Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 250SL & 87 560SEC
93 Posts
Yes, I agree. It seems that the Japanese don't like "old" things, so values plummet as well. I picked up my Euro "Japanese import" from a guy that brings them into the country (Canada). He does all the inspections, registrations etc. I'm not sure the average consumer would want to go through the issues of auction, payment, shipping, insurance etc. for a single car.

·
Registered
67 250SL & 87 560SEC
93 Posts
You would think so, but the guy who I bought from brings in only Japanese auctioned cars, and all of the "German" models are LHD (the Japanese cars are indeed RHD).

I'd think you Aussies would prefer the RHDs... [;)]

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
I have seen both in Japan. My friend's Mustang was LHD and the taxi over there are a mixed, both LHD and RHD.

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
It's actually considered a status symbol to be able to own a LHD vehicule.

·
Registered
14 Posts
but to bring canadian car to usa ,you have to deal with dot right? or anybody knows other way to deal with it?as far as i know its not easy to bring canadian car to usa. if anybody knows the easy way please let me know

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
It should only cost about $2500 to import one from japan to the west coast, then it'll sit around forever with customs or whoever does the inspecting, then theres the vin part ect., I've seen (and own) euro mercs that haven't had any real modifications done other than the intrument cluster (on mine anyway) I don't think its very hard to import one from japan, could make a vacation out of it, go over there and pick one out then have it imported back, there are importers/exporters next to any us military base (atleast most of them) so it shouldn't be to difficult to locate an exporter. Main reason I'd like to do that is because used cars are 1/2 to 1/4 as much as they would be in the states and the mileage is usually around 60,000 for an 80's car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts