Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any 600 owners in Canada? I am dealing on a 93 sl 600 jap import. As I don't know much about these cars, is there things to worry about? the car has about 80,000 miles. This one is for a drivable investment, can you give me a rough estimate as to price, in the US, & or Canada?

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
Jap imports have some problems on there owns, I dont want to scare you out of purchasing what might be an EXCELLENT car (well any R129 is) but there are things to be careful of.

1993-1995 have issues with the wiring harnesses usually, and the introduction to Canadian climate from Japan almost seems to accelerate this effect on the wiring harness. The insulation will crack and cause shorts.. But all of the 1993-1995 cars face this..

Your heatpad will be torn at customs for a drug inspection, so that will need to be replaced almost certainly. If your lucky they'll forget to destroy this..

Keys also seem to go missing in the shipping process?... My car happened to loose 4 keys when it arrived here...

ONCE the car has arrived you will need to pass an inspection, you will be hassled about the lighting and having proper reflectors. You will have two options, either replace the lighting for the DOT US lights at the dealer, or go to a Canadian Tire store and purchase some bike reflectors that say either DOT or SAE on them and stick them on. Aim your headlights with the adjuster switch and that should be of that

After you have passed your inspection, and there are no issues, drive out, remove the reflectors you've taped on and ENJOY!

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
and the introduction to Canadian climate from Japan almost seems to accelerate this effect on the wiring harness.
In all respect to the OP, I do not wish to hijack this topic thread by any means...

However, I'd be very curious to see any evidence or data you may have that supports the above assertions.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure about the wiring harness accelerated deterioration, but I brought a mint Mercedes from California & it suffered from the climate change! (Wood , leather, headliner, surface corrosion on rotors & exhaust, ect) So if there is no records of the harness not being changed , then its a bad deal? Also how much is this car worth? My estimate is they are worth about 14.000 US? maybe double in Canada?

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
Technically speaking - warmer weather is tougher on insulations than snowy cold.

Aside the 600 specific watchouts, you will need to verify roof hydraulics.

What the heck - the r129 is a beautiful machine - and like any other car ever made - it has its fallacies. If the price is right, get it! We need members around here and spread the sect over :D

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Technically speaking - warmer weather is tougher on insulations than snowy cold.

Aside the 600 specific watchouts, you will need to verify roof hydraulics.

What the heck - the r129 is a beautiful machine - and like any other car ever made - it has its fallacies. If the price is right, get it! We need members around here and spread the sect over :D
That's what I am trying to find out, If the price is right? I might get it for as low as 8,500

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,186 Posts
If no record available, then just assume you'll have to replace the wiring and hydraulics, and figures that into the price. And don't forget the ADS.

·
Registered
522 Posts
In all respect to the OP, I do not wish to hijack this topic thread by any means...

However, I'd be very curious to see any evidence or data you may have that supports the above assertions.
If I had known last year when I got the car I would have taken photos, but alot of the wiring in my car that I had seen is now in much worse shape than 12 months ago. There is plastics in and around the motor bay which if I touch will just turn into powder literally..

When I asked one of the car importers in Vancouver, alot of the cars imported suffer here because of the really humid weather in Japan, so wood interiors, leathers and plastics end up suffering from this.

·
Registered
2007 B200T; 2006 Smart Car CDi; 1991 500SL AMG
77 Posts
My 91 500SL has been in Canada for 4 years (Alberta vs BC); stored during winter. I haven't seen any mass deterioration of plastics but most of my problems have been electrical. My indie mechanic also said that Japanese imports suffer from electrical wiring deterioration.

(Interesting info in a previous post about inspector ripping hood pad; I thought it was just old - now I know how to fix it!)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is it really economically viable to be importing cars to Canada from Japan? Especially with the piss poor state of the US economy and the resultant low used car values?

Just wondering...

George

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well we have to import from somewhere! As most of the Mercedes cars in the early years were down east & are now rust buckets.Leaving quite a void for older 80's Mercedes.The US prices are going up a bit, I think due to Canadian money at par, & for low mile well optioned cars,we get the cream of the crop from japan.(where the US cars are mostly plain & if it is special or low km car they want 20,000 or so.for w126 anyway) Not sure why we like to import Jap cars, Possibly in Japan the older cars are getting too expensive for them to license, due to there strict policies? Thus dumping them,making it cost effective for Canadians to buy. As for the sl500 cars I would go to California, as the price is right,& they are plentiful. plus totally rust free. but the sl600 is a little more rare.I am looking at 2 extremely low km cars right now both from japan,& one already in Canada which was also a Jap import.I don't know if things will work out but I really do want to be a sl600 owner

·
Registered
522 Posts
My 91 500SL has been in Canada for 4 years (Alberta vs BC); stored during winter. I haven't seen any mass deterioration of plastics but most of my problems have been electrical. My indie mechanic also said that Japanese imports suffer from electrical wiring deterioration.

(Interesting info in a previous post about inspector ripping hood pad; I thought it was just old - now I know how to fix it!)
Its the humidity in Japan apparently that ruins our wiring, and the hoodpad missing... Well thats Canadian Customs making sure the hood of your car isnt packed with cocaine. I've not yet seen one Mercedes import with the pad intact..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Check out this site if you want to get an idea of prices.

Terra2 Imports - Let us help you import a JDM vehicle from Japan to Canada

I bought mine from the first owner after import and I thought I got a good deal and I'm sure he made something. But I think prices have equalized a bit (US imports and even Canadian originals have to compete).
That 500sl is pretty nice, but it's a 93 (albeit with a pile of upgrades). Don't know that you'd find something like that in the states. Did anyone notice the flip out din head unit in the sunglass compartment at the top of the dash.

That E30 M3 is to die for. Shame its only 23 years old and can't make it into the States. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
870 Posts
Wonder what caused the discoloration under the hood - looks like something exploded.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wonder what caused the discoloration under the hood - looks like something exploded.
Oh I thought that was just a terrible armor all job. Slather everything and then take the pic. Doesn't even look like they took the time to wipe it down.

Typical used car dealer stuff.

George

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
870 Posts
Its more than that, the armor all heighted the nice black, but where something sprayed a corrosive chemical - all over in the engine bay and on the sides, radiator, cabin filter cover, fuse box, etc, you can see the armor all did not make the spots black, but grey.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are buying car direct from Japan, ESPECIALLY an older BENZ, make sure you get a copy of the auciton sheet from your Agent in Japan. For example- Same ks and condition cars can be completely different quality in reality, one may be a one owner car serviced from new every year from Japanese Benz dealer, other maybe Grey import from Europe and never serviced! your agent will be able to tell the difference, in fact, if the car has been serviced, the auciton sheet sometimes will mention the dates of the services. Also get him to check the roof hydraulics, in many cars here the seals are faulty/old and when you open the roof, fluid drains out the front seal and onto the front seat!!. Transmissions also need care to be checked though direct from auciton the cars van not be driven, so make sure your agent knows what he is doing or ha experience with these cars. All electrics etc must be thoroughly checked also. More good info for first importers here -
http://ezinearticles.com/?Importing-a-Car-From-Japan---First-Time-Tips&id=5501994

Paul

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
491 Posts
The prices for the cars from Japan can be very low. They have a graduated vehicle registration fee that makes it expensive to keep driving older cars, thus they are sometimes parked until they can be exported elsewhere.
The advantage with German cars from Japan is that they are usually left-hand drive, like ours, instead of on the wrong side of the car. ( I think it is a status symbol over there. They want people to know they are driving a German import.)

Canada allows cars older than 15 years to be brought in to the country without having to meet all the current requirements. Anything newer is not worth trying to pass requirements, unless the car is from the USA because the Canadian and USA standards for safety, emmisions, etc. are near identical. (Usually only need minor tweaks, such as always-on daytime running lights, or child seat retsraints.)

Some of the cars that I have seen from Japan are real crap, and cheap. But there is one importer I met who finds some very nice cars. If you live near Calgary, check out Zen Autoworks. Sean and is a good guy. I know people who have bought from him. If you are looking for something specific, his buyer in Japan will hunt for a good specimen.

For myself, I'll likely buy my next car in the USA and either drive it, or have it shipped home. My '01 SL500 was from California. I figure that if I focus on cars that spent their time anywhere in the southwest, there will likely be no hidden rust due to high humidity or salty winter roads.

The prices seem so low compared to here, that I think I can fly there and back and have the car shipped home and still save a bunch of money. Or I could get a one-way flight and make the trip home a holiday road trip.

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
721 Posts
I spent 2 years, about 12k on wiring issues. ( inventing the wheel) most interior and radio electronic parts would be stable but in need of replacement for a "show" quality. The cost benefit issue would be 7-8K purchase, 6-8K parts and 10-18 years before the resale value starts the other direction. Not a turn to profit in the short term.
They are fun to drive when right!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts