Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hard top side post locks are very reluctant to engage I've noticed. The left side goes with some resistance but I realized my right side turns so little the peg is not engaged at all! The pegs aren't being obstructed, as the unit won't turn more than a few degrees even when completely free of the body.

Any ideas?

Also, what's the name/part-no for the washer in the assembly? It's just missing on the left side.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
My hard top side post locks are very reluctant to engage I've noticed. The left side goes with some resistance but I realized my right side turns so little the peg is not engaged at all! The pegs aren't being obstructed, as the unit won't turn more than a few degrees even when completely free of the body.

Any ideas?

Also, what's the name/part-no for the washer in the assembly? It's just missing on the left side.
What I see in the pic is the lock nut is screwed down, away from the upper one. A good adjustment is in order, which will likely solve your problem. I think the procedure is in the manual, with specs. If not, I am sure someone here can supply as I have seen the specs and procedure somewhere before.

Don't know about the urethane washer... Check EPC and your dealer. I bet it is available. Sorry about the picture. Cellphone camera was handiest. My '88 560.

Edit: Found it in the manual. Locknut is not mentioned or illustrated although...

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the nut and it wasn't actually screwed down -- just sitting there loose! i moved it back onto the threads but no change in operation.

Thanks for the manual scan -- I'll take a crack at disassembly and adjustment and see if anything obvious appears.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,341 Posts
I have a couple out of a '72. I will post pics of the disassembly tomorrow. Pretty simple.

·
7,166 Posts
At first blush, the EPC does not list the washer you need as a separate item. Still, I don't take this as gospel, necessarily. You will notice the shaft with the pins is threaded into the body that is fastened into the hard top by the (two) nuts. If it were threaded to its extents, I can see how you might not be able to turn it to engage/disengage the lock...

If you wish a higher resolution pic, try http://www.rmsmithco.com/epc_ht.jpg... (filename is epc_ht.jpg)

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,341 Posts
Ears. Above and left of the assembly are 53, 50, 56, 47, 41, 44. Any idea what those are?

·
7,166 Posts
Ears. Above and left of the assembly are 53, 50, 56, 47, 41, 44. Any idea what those are?
Well, Hell's Bells...
I stand Corrected by the Benzworld EPC Guru!

Nice Catch! So, what is the part number of the washer he needs?

EPC doesn't like JAVA 6.x, I guess... I had trouble loggin on tonight. It failed numerous times, locking up at odd times. Of course it could be my old machine...

Hey Rowdie... I just reviewed the EPC, and I think the items you are referring to are the rear latch pin... In fact, I am sure of it! So, I stand by my earleir statement, it looks like the individual parts are not available... Time to sweet-talk a MBPG

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,341 Posts
Could be but it does the same for me. Locks up at odd points. I really just caught those earlier today but they didn't look like the latch parts. Sitting out there like that I figured that was what they had to be.

·
7,166 Posts
Could be but it does the same for me. Locks up at odd points. I really just caught those earlier today but they didn't look like the latch parts. Sitting out there like that I figured that was what they had to be.
See previous edits... I think his part is N/A...

I think I'd check and see if a high-quality garden hose washer is the same size... Especially before I paid what the entire latch assembly cost.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did a slow walk-through of my local hardware store (which would likely fit in the checkout area of your normal Home Depot) and didn't find any likely looking washers. I did notice, though, that the clear nylon tubing was an almost exact fit, so I bought a foot of that and spent an afternoon trying to cut a reasonable copy of the old washer.

Installation was a bit of a pain, but I got them in and adjusted through trial and error. They don't really cinch down much tension but it started raining so that'll have to do for now.

Many thanks for the info on how to disassemble and adjust!

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,341 Posts
The only adjustment I could see was screwing those in to tighten and out to loosen.

PS. Don't lose the caps on top. They are NLA as a part.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The frozen post looked to simply be over-tightened, or perhaps adjusted slightly too high (or some combination thereof). When reassembled and adjusted both sides move smoothly. Adjustment is as rowdie says, by screwing the bit with the locking pins into the top mount. The lock nut then secures the assembly to the hardtop.

Good advice about the top-cap -- i sent one sailing clear out the car while taking it off! Luckily it didn't bounce anywhere inconvenient.

The biggest hassle was getting the e-clip off that holds the plastic bit onto the bolt, but in retrospect the vinyl was flexible enough to get right over the locking pegs. The job also gave me a good excuse to go buy a good set of metric spanners!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts