Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI All,
Here is a my newbe question. I have seen four Mogs but I have never seen the stock jack. HI Lift's, yes. Stock, no. Can some one post a quickie picture of the stock 404 jack and also describe where it is stowed? How and where is it used?

I have read through the various Mog manuals and have come up short. I'm probably just missing it.

Thanks, Sparky

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HI truktor,
Wow, thanks. I guess I did not ask such a simple question. I hope you did not take all those pics just for me. Terrific.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Sparky

·
Registered
1984 406
565 Posts
Found this on German E-bay.
Orginal Unimog Wagenheber Artikelnummer: 270244218841

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
HI Mr. Mud,
Could you provide a link?

Thanks, Sparky
was not to hard to find. Just search net for "Ebay Germany" follow resulting links to ebay germany. cut and poste the auction number in the search box and Whalaaaaa.... it appears.

You can read it using google laungague tools. Just cut and copy the URL into the proper place on the tool page.

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
Hi Sparky,

FYI, the Highlift has some 'shortcomings', pun intended, when lifting a 404. Because of droop of the axles, the jack is not usually tall enough to get a tire off the ground, even the 60" version. A jack under the axle is the way to go.

If a Highlift is all that's available, or the axle is buried in mud, etc, a short chain loop around the axle and frame will lift the axle as the frame is jacked up.

A length of wood with a notch for the axle, placed at an angle against the axle, and upon which the mog is driven (lifting the wheel) is handy to have.

Bob

·
5,857 Posts
Hi Sparky,...
A length of wood with a notch for the axle, placed at an angle against the axle, and upon which the mog is driven (lifting the wheel) is handy to have.
Darn and I thought that was my orginal idea. Watch out for brake lines. Do not want to crush them.

Oh..... and you'll want to use 4wd if its a rear tire. Maybe even locked axles.

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts

the above jack is a Tangye 13000kg u13/2 Euro Superline jack :thumbsup:

not to good for a mog unless you have 2 blocks of railway sleeper to stand it on, though i do carry one in my mog along with a normal one like below as i allways use 2 jacks & blocks of railway sleeper just to be safe ;)

though that’s to short to lift the wheel fully off the ground unless there are one or two 2" blocks under it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
HI B101UK,
Thanks for the pics. I don't know what railway sleeper is. Do you have a picture? Commonly available?

It's funny. I just received my User and Service manuals yesterday. I can't find a single mention of the jack or jacking procedures.

Thanks, Sparky

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
I don't know what railway sleeper is. Do you have a picture? Commonly available?
railway sleeper (UK) = railroad tie (USA)

it is the wooden bit (can also be concrete) that joins the two steel tracks together stopping them splaying apart & also that bare the weight of the train on the ballast (stone) bed - they are also often treated with creosote or tar so don’t rot but will take a lot of weight I.e. as in jacking on as e.g. something like a EMD SD90mac locomotive is ~192 metric tonnes (~212ton US) and sits on 6 axels.

“blocks of railway sleeper” would refer to the railway sleeper being cut into 2ft (~60cm) lengths which form a stable base when stacked sensibly & are easy to handle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HI b101uk,
Got it. Thanks. And to think. We both speak English. ;)

Yes, I figured out that a HI Lift jack would be a problem because of axle droop. I'm currently looking for a hydraulic jack with the proper height and throw that is small enough to easily stow and doesn't cost a fortune.

BTW, where are the jack points?

Do any of you have any ideas about where to find one? I have not yet done the measurements. Tonight I hope. But then again, the Lakers are playing so maybe not.

Sparky

·
5,857 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts