Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THERE IS THIS GUY THAT IS SELLING ME A 1985 500SE EURO, IT PROBABLY NEEDS THE TOP END OF THE ENGINE REDONE, BUT TRANSMISSION IS REAL GOOD, AND INTERIOR IS GOOD ALSO, THERE IS A CLACK CLACK IN THE VALVE TRAIN, SO I HAVE TO REPLACE CAMS, AND VALVES AND TIMING CHAINS, ETC, THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT IS REGISTERED IN NEVADA SINCE THERE IS NO SMOG THERE AND I WOULD HAVE TO REGISTER IN CALIFORNIA, HOW CAN I MAKE IT PASS A SMOG TEST IN CALIFORNIA, THE CAR STILL RUNS AND IT HAS EURO HEADLIGHTS, AND HE IS SELLING ME THE CAR FOR $500 AS IS. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THINK, THANKS A LOT

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
sounds like a very good price for a parts car... you could make most of your investment back by selling the headlights.

just my opinion.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,261 Posts
WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?
At $ 500 you can't really loose. The car probably needs quite a bit of work, but should be worth more just in parts.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Thinking outside the box.

Forgetting for the moment the old saying that "the cheapest Mercedes Benz often turns out to be the most expensive one" have you ever considered the idea of buying it from the guy, then registering it in Nevada for a year at his address, while you attend to the motor, and then, once it's done, re register it and smog it in California.

Of course, there could be problems with Insurance, and when you got stopped by the CHP with Nevada plates and California CDL, but a quick thinnking reply could get you out of trouble.

I'd registered my old 1967 Cougar at a Reno address (a friend's mother) while a California resident, (to avoid aftermarket smog crap that was required) and it worked perfectly - for 2 years, for me, and including a traffic stop by the CHP, which was pulling over every Nevada plate car in the SF area, that they could find at the time, looking for aftermarket required smog equipment evaders - such as me!

I gave them a totally BS story about temporarily relocating to Nevada, and immediately registering the car there, but not changing my CDL until I got work, and after a month in Nevada, could not find a job, so came back to California so the CDL was correct and I never got around to changing out the Nevada plates on it to California ones.

And that story, concocted on the fly, WORKED, when I got pulled over by the CHP. They BELIEVED it. (This was around 1975, I think).

I sold the car in 1977 in California to some people while it still had the current Nevada plates on it.

They never re registered it.

Instead, they wrapped it around a tree in Redwood City within a week.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If it's a Euro version and it's in the country, it had Federal paperwork. Make sure you get it because the car had to modified to US specs and emissions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts