Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I spent a few much needed hours pottering with My 420SE. You see, I broke it in early November and abandoned it thereafter- I'm ashamed :eek:

Today I was reminded what I beautiful car the W126 is- I was starting to forget!

I adore the way the beautiful leather airchairs bounce, the magic carped ride qualitly, the refinement and unruffled urge of the V8, and the feeling of driving a machine of substance and weight- of quality. I love the huge leather rimmed steering wheel and the organ pedal accelerator- and the swathes of restrained walnut and leather- the W126 truly feels special- and makes me feel special as a result. It could be an eBay banger, it could be old money.

I've spent the last 2 months in a W124 230TE- no big steering wheel, no bouncy leather (facelift un-sprung seats) no long bonnet and no V8 rumble. And to be honest, the quality on some of the trim isn't there either. Its just like an ordinary car- and I was starting to get used to life without that 'special edge'. I'm glad I found my 126 again.

My friends's Mother made a comment after a trip out in the 420SE a few months ago- "the only time I've ever been in a car like that, Rex, was when I got married"

Enough said!

Rex

Attachments

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hope you got it running again! :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's running- I even took her for a little spin earlier, although the front brakes appear to be binding, and the disks need doing as they are warped. The passenger side rocker cover gasket has blown and is pissing oil out onto the exhaust manifold- lots of smoke- and she's leaking water from one of the pipes coming from the rad which has split, although I think there may be other leaks. All easily sorted- and can be done for a small amount of cash, touch wood. I had images in my mind of head gasket, radiator, new calipers etc... but I'm feeling more optimistic after today.

Started first turn of the key, after two months. No whuu-whuu-whuu, she just caught straight away and started, flicked over to LPG and purrred :)

You wouldn't catch an 18 year old Jag doing that!

Rex

·
Registered
118 Posts
There's no substitute for the feeling of driving a SUBSTANTIAL car. I don't think one can duplicate the ride with lighter machine - I like how well you explained it. I drove a new C230 home (loaner, while my SEC is in the shop) and it felt like my daughters' Honda Civic. 126s make me feel safe. I'd like to spend some time behind the wheel of a W140 for comparison.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
We just came back from dinner in a sort of upscale area in town. When we came out, our car was parked across the street surrounded by a newer S500, a 5 series and a 7 series BigMoneyWasted and a new Cadillac. Our 17 year old Colonel Klink stood out heads and tails compared to the new luxury sedans.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
W126 regarded as rubbish cars in the UK. Why? u

I never understood why the W126 was so underappreciated and unloved in the UK, I haven't been there for years, but they were always regarded as nothing more than another car over there. The first W126 500SEC I saw in Britain, was I believe in Bath, and it was arctic white, with Swiss diplomatic plates on it ("CD" and "CH") in 1984.......It looked stunning, and mint new.

Yet people there ALWAYS bought and drove new cars, even though they were often as not little dustbins and crapmobiles of cars like Renaults, Peugeots, Citroens, Ford Mondeos and Ka's, GM Vauxhalls, Nissan Primeras, or even larger Jaguars and Rovers that were fancier crap boxes. BUT THEY ALWAYS WERE NEW!!!!

This can't be laid wholly at the feet of the MOT tests, because classic British car magazines are chockablock full of Old Right-hook Mercedes in good nick.

Why, then?:confused:

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Here's video proof!!!

Look at how this beautiful red W126 300SE gets deliberately destroyed on the motorway in Britain!!!!! It even has the upgraded W140 later series wheels.

YouTube - Fifth Gear Motorway crash

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Unbreeched

The thing worth noting is that the passenger compartment of the Mercedes is totally intact. Now that is safety engineering!!!

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
I just hate the fact that they destroyed a totally mint merc :(
Worst mistake they made since General Cornwallis lost the battle of Yorktown, and the United States of America was born...:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts