Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
OK - found another way to PM and view old private conversations . . .

Click on your avatar at the top right of the forum ribbon. Click Conversations. When I do this, I see old PMs from the old environment. I also see a "Start Conversation" button at top right. This appears to be the same PM functionality as what we knew before.

Also available under the choices when you click on your avatar is "Bookmarks". This is a post level mark feature "Following" is like subscribing to the entire thread.

The more I test drive, the better I like the new vehicle

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
I hope we don't loose participation here - let's take some time to discover everything and see if the hosts can fix our data.
Brad, I don't see any serious issues with the new software. Or at least none that could not be fixed if we provide feedback (and the admins are cooperative and competent?).

I somehow don't see the broken links and lost data being recovered. There are hundreds and hundreds of links that need checking. Unless this can be automated, it probably won't happen.

We have such a technically competent, cooperative and friendly group here. It would just be too bad if Verticalscope causes it to unravel.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I've been trying to remain optimistic about this new format hoping that the numerous issues that keep popping up will soon settle down, but all I'm seeing (and experiencing) are issue after issue that leave me with the sinking feeling that this new format is so much WORSE that anything I've encountered since joining. I routinely check out 5 different forums daily (107, 212, GLC, General, and Detailing, and frankly, this whole forum is not as enjoyable.

Interestingly enough, the MBCA forums underwent their own changes a few years ago and, including some changes before that, the whole experience over there went right into the toilet leaving a disaster in it's wake. In the past week, thev've only had eight (8) entries under their entire forum network. I'm still a member of MBCA, but IMO, the forums are a ghost town over there, and they have become totally useless!

I'm quite sure there's another more appropriate forum to place my feelings, but this is the place I hang out most of the time, so these are my thoughts on the recent changes, like it or not!

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Lets hold up on anyaction till next week. I complained on the Community Help form and they denied changing any Moderators status. I sent a PM to one of them this afternoon but they don't work weekends so it will be next week before I get an answer.

Also posted about it one the Moderators forum. Only a couple of responses. That forum has been suspiciously silent since the downgrade.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dave, unless VS forgot to push a button, or two, your still being able to access the Admin. acct., and mods forum would tell me that you are still a mod.

Cush, and rowdie, I would agree that we give things a little more time to see if VS can come up with a solution regarding the restoration of, and our continued access to lost data.

I wonder if VS could simply create a "closed" sticky of our old forum in it's entirety, which could give us continued access to it's content?

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,827 Posts
They screwed up and accidentally gave a bunch of green Mods full authority across all forums. Then they didn't read the posts in the Mod's forum telling them about the problem. Then they read said thread. A general panic commenced. Then they pulled a bunch of permissions across the forum. Then they went home for the weekend.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
They screwed up and accidentally gave a bunch of green Mods full authority across all forums. Then they didn't read the posts in the Mod's forum telling them about the problem. Then they read said thread. A general panic commenced. Then they pulled a bunch of permissions across the forum. Then they went home for the weekend.
Almost sounds like a government operation...:oops:

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
And I can still Moderate across all forums.:devilish:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Just want to make sure I didn't miss how this is done as last post here says advanced search was just too advanced for us mere mortals to be trusted with but really...there is no way to search a topic like say The Encyclopaedia Germanica Volume 107?

All I see is the Search Community input at the top. That it? Really?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have no problem giving VS a chance to improve but don't like being lied to.

They have the "GDPR Complaint" displayed on pretty much every page I see but ran a check and this site and it is not in compliance. My guess is having to do with cookies. If you didn't agree to accept them, that's one GDPR issue right there.

But there are a lot of other privacy and security issues to be concerned with. Do they check their advertisers to make sure they are not linking to an infected site? Do they even have security in place to protect usernames and passwords?

This alone in their "About Us" link gives me pause. I never agreed to use this new site or accept their policies.

THE INFORMATION, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES OFFERED ON OR THROUGH THE SITE AND ANY THIRD-PARTY SITES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW, WE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE SITE OR ANY OF ITS FUNCTIONS WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT ANY PART OF THIS SITE, INCLUDING BULLETIN BOARDS, OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKE IT AVAILABLE, ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.

WE DO NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE USE OR THE RESULTS OF THE USE OF THE SITE OR MATERIALS ON THIS SITE OR ON THIRD-PARTY SITES IN TERMS OF THEIR CORRECTNESS, ACCURACY, TIMELINESS, RELIABILITY OR OTHERWISE.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A number of complaints have been posted concerning the obnoxious adverts which at first glance appear to be a part of the ongoing “discussion”. I have been in Italy since the site makeover took place. I noticed in the last few days that these ads appear to be targeted by location, if not by using other criteria as well.

Occasionally, but not always, I see one of these ads in the Italian language. I guess we don’t all see the same ads! Anyone else notice?

·
Registered
415 Posts
The old system avatar had a list of vehicles. I don't see anything in the new system. Is it available? This is very handy when reading add-ons to threads that started days or weeks before.

I have found (even before the new format) that google did a better job of searching the site. The search within creates pages of threads, of which most are unrelated to the search. Maybe I was not not doing it right. The new search looks even worse.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anyone know how to just search the 107 forum? Yesterday was trying to search for info on Alternator problems for the 450sl and know matter how I tried to word my query I got results for the whole BenzWorld site - way too much to try and wade through to find something specific for the 450.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Nope. Search on specific forums didn't make the cut on the downgrade. They say their "Working on it"

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Enter this into Google:
Code:
site: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/ alternator 450sl
Close - don't include the space after the "site:"

Code:
site:https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/ alternator 450sl

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
A number of complaints have been posted concerning the obnoxious adverts which at first glance appear to be a part of the ongoing “discussion”. I have been in Italy since the site makeover took place. I noticed in the last few days that these ads appear to be targeted by location, if not by using other criteria as well.

Occasionally, but not always, I see one of these ads in the Italian language. I guess we don’t all see the same ads! Anyone else notice?
Did not notice as I have UBLOCK. https://ublock.org/
Highly recommended, no ads at anytime.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,063 Posts
141 - 160 of 172 Posts
About this Discussion
171 Replies
42 Participants
MBGraham
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing