Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,063 Posts
I'm in the "THIS SUCKS" category.
I will now have more free time on my hands, I guess.
I came to this forum because I enjoyed it.
No joy, at the moment.

·
Registered
21,746 Posts
It’s the people, not the platform that we love. The risk of it all going away has always been there because we use the platform that’s provided by omeone who really couldn’t give a rat’s ass about MB 107 chassis cars.

Henric / @48hp went off and created the AMGClassic.com forum for a similar reason. Unfortunately that’s a ghost town. It was hot once upon a time, but most seem to have moved to Facebook. Facebook would not work for the EGv107, but it seems that maybe if someone has the main source for the egv107, then it could be created elsewhere and maintained by someone who really cares about it, on a server that that person can control.

Unfortunately, we have never owned this content we have created.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
It’s the people, not the platform that we love. The risk of it all going away has always been there because we use the platform that’s provided by omeone who really couldn’t give a rat’s ass about MB 107 chassis cars.

Henric / @48hp went off and created the AMGClassic.com forum for a similar reason. Unfortunately that’s a ghost town. It was hot once upon a time, but most seem to have moved to Facebook. Facebook would not work for the EGv107, but it seems that maybe if someone has the main source for the egv107, then it could be created elsewhere and maintained by someone who really cares about it, on a server that that person can control.

Unfortunately, we have never owned this content we have created.
I owned and hosted an "Online Business Forum" on my own servers for several years. It's no picnic hosting and moderating a forum so I fully understand the reasons behind changing the platform of a general consumption forum purely out of necessity.

Ours is a little different need in that there are no new 40 year old cars being manufactured so the things that keep us coming back are comradery and knowledge... not the latest bells and whistles. I'm mean... do you really care if you can login to the forum using Google or FaceBook? Probably not.

This forum is basically irreplaceable, but that does not mean we can’t augment it with something we have total control over as insurance against having the rug pulled out from under us. Trust me… it happens. The thing that originally prompted me to create my “Online Business Forum” was the fact that I was a moderator on another business forum that one day just disappeared. Not a word from the forum owners… just crickets. All the members were trying to login but the forum just wasn’t there.

What would we do if one day this forum was gone? What would we do? Think about it and together lets come up with so contingency plans in the event the unthinkable happens. Getting used to a new format is one thing… losing all the past and future content is something else entirely.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Peachparts is cool. Can we replace egv107 over there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fonzi,
I use Peachparts, mainly because they have the best diesel group. However, they are owned by Pelican Parts, I think. Whatever, they have their own rules. For example, you can't use the name of any competitive firm. Even links to Kents videos on Mercedes Source. Their software has built in censorship.

They also have their own DIY section. Some of it quite good, some not so good.

Anyway, I doubt our EGv107 would fit in there. Not sure about MBWorld. They have a lot of forums. I used the GLK one when we had the GLK250. The 107 forum is not at all active. It could stand getting a boost!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
back in the day when I ran my own web servers, there was software that could copy an entire website, links and all, to the local drive. Does an equivalent app exist for copying this forum? I'm thinking one command to download the entire EGv107.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
back in the day when I ran my own web servers, there was software that could copy an entire website, links and all, to the local drive. Does an equivalent app exist for copying this forum? I'm thinking one command to download the entire EGv107.
The standard forum packages store the forum content in a database. If the forum is not setup to allow database download (I'd be real surprised if it was) then you will not be able to download content. You may however be able to download structure but that is of little value without the content. :(

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Another problem is that a lot of the content of EGV107 is already broken. Links don't work, images don't appear etc.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It would be a total shame to lose all of this content. It's invaluable. I hope that VS can come up with something.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Fonzi,
I use Peachparts, mainly because they have the best diesel group. However, they are owned by Pelican Parts, I think. Whatever, they have their own rules. For example, you can't use the name of any competitive firm. Even links to Kents videos on Mercedes Source. Their software has built in censorship.

They also have their own DIY section. Some of it quite good, some not so good.

Anyway, I doubt our EGv107 would fit in there. Not sure about MBWorld. They have a lot of forums. I used the GLK one when we had the GLK250. The 107 forum is not at all active. It could stand getting a boost!
Another problem with PeachParts (Pelican) is they dump all SLs in one forum which gets confusing at times.

·
SuperModerator
13,195 Posts
Please post those broken links up in the Community Help Feedback section. Our they may never get fixed.

And how much other stuff is in the archives that's broken. Doesn't bear thinking about but I guess if we bring it up as we see it.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Please post those broken links up in the Community Help Feedback section. Our they may never get fixed.

And how much other stuff is in the archives that's broken. Doesn't bear thinking about but I guess if we bring it up as we see it.
A preliminary list of the broken links from our EGV107 sticky has already been posted there. Over a week ago. No feedback by forum admin on how they will fix them.

I have found many many more bad links on 107 and 210 forums. But not wasting any more time on this - Verticalscope screwed the forum up - they can try and fix it. And if they don't, much of our work will be lost and users will move on (as discussed above)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I think I've figured out a few things about our new environment. I noticed a little dot (I've seen several different colors for this now) on my member avatar at the right side of the ribbon at the top of the forum page. This apparently is an indicator that you have alerts of various types . . . quotes, thumbs ups, etc.

I also noticed when you hover a cursor over a members name, a window flies open revealing stats, location, and at the bottom, links to Follow, Ignore, or Start Conversation. I think the Start Conversation is a personal message (PM). I'm going to test it with MBGraham as soon as I finish this post.

I hope we don't loose participation here - let's take some time to discover everything and see if the hosts can fix our data.

121 - 140 of 172 Posts
About this Discussion
171 Replies
42 Participants
MBGraham
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing