Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=119790 [;)]

·
Registered
98 ML 320
40 Posts
Just want to confirm, i called 800-for-benz and they confirmed that the campaign is true. I didnt recieve the letter, just called in. After I called them I called my local dealer and they were ready for me, so my appointment is tomorrow. I asked if there was any fees and they said no. So will see tomorrow.

FYI- Im located in the SF Bay Area and the dealer that its going to is Claridges in Fremont.[:)]

·
Registered
98 ML320& 05 ML350SE
147 Posts
DOH!! [:0]

Just had mine replaced on the '98 ML recently = on my tab!! Shoot, there was no SB out on it at the time.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,489 Posts
jangr320 - 4/7/2005 7:03 PM

DOH!! [:0]

Just had mine replaced on the '98 ML recently = on my tab!! Shoot, there was no SB out on it at the time.
I believe you'll get reimbursed if you have your receipts. Call MBUSA and talk with your dealer.

·
Registered
03 ML320
46 Posts
I see that it was for 98 to 2001 in the other note.

Does that mean 2002 and 2003 V6's DON'T have the "bad" harmonic balancer.

2002 and later cars don't need worry about them?

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2008 GL550, 2008 Ford F250 Superduty
815 Posts
stupid question but how do you know if yours is defective? what exactly does a harmonic balancer do?

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
Troy,
The harmonic balancer is the pulley on the front of the crankshaft that provides the power to run the belt. It's made up of three pieces. There's the steel inner part, which bolts to the crankshaft; there's a rubber sleeve around that which dampens crankshaft vibrations; and then there's the outer steel part, which has grooves for the belt.

and most of the ML problem was the rubber sleeve around the inner parrt of the pulley that always came out. Hope this helps to your question.

So if the rubber sleeve on your pulley has the sign of coming out you have a bad Harmonic balancer.[:)]

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2008 GL550, 2008 Ford F250 Superduty
815 Posts
salamat jimb! i'll call my SA to see if my ML is included in this recall. welcome back[8D]

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
Walang anuman and Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had some work dome at my local MB dealership and they had checked the harmonic balancer and said it was ok. They told me I would be receiving a letter from MB and in the meantime gave me a number to call (800-222-0100 MB Customer Service) to give them my VIN # and see if mine was an affected vehicle. I called the number and was told that there was no such recall or program - go figure?

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Perfect timing thanks for the early info guys!

I had my dealer replace mine for me since the ML was already there for some other work. It's nice to have peace of mind--especially for free! He said a letter would be coming out as well.

·
Registered
98 ML 320
40 Posts
Hey beltway when did you call? I called yesterday 4/8/05 and they knew about it. Might want to call them again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Called this afternoon (04/08/2005) after I got back from the dealer, spoke to Robyn who said that there was nothing doing - sent an e-mail for clarification and will post the reply when I get it.

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to see Mercedes finally did the right thing. [;)]

·
Registered
ML430, 2000, Silver
36 Posts
hello. I have a question to "sage3"

You said you live in sf area and the dealer that its going to is Claridges in Fremont.

Is it the only dealer for that service within SF bay area? Any Benz dealer will be OK?

·
Registered
98 ML 320
40 Posts
Well just got the ML back and no problems with the dealer. They even washed it. Everything was free, so no extra charges.

nicky95- You should be able to bring it to any dealer. I just took it to Claridges because that was the nearest one to me.

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
tsanjose - 4/8/2005 10:57 AM

stupid question but how do you know if yours is defective? what exactly does a harmonic balancer do?
Meka leka hi, meka leka lo!

(Just tryin' to be part of the club...hehe.)

There is a serial number that you can see when the pulley is in the right position....easiet with the plastic engine cover popped off.

If it is within a certain range, it needs to be replaced. I had mine done when this came to my attention last year. The dealership did it free when I acted like I knew what I was talking about.

Check out the link:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=89179&posts=6&hl=harmonic+balancer

and:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=63512

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,143 Posts
I just had my done early last year by an independent mechanic for $143.00(the dealer wanted $1,600 because it damaged the oil pan). I wonder what they will do to the damaged parts if one flies apart before you can get it fixed[?]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Just spoke with my dealer and they said that they needed a letter from MBUSA to be able to replace the Harmonic Balancer. Any ideas on how I would get a letter ?? Thxs!

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Dealers don't need to see the letter from MB.
Call the dealer and give your VIN, ask them whether the Harmonic Balancer recall campaign applies to your vehicle. Answer will be YES/NO.

The letter MB sends to owners as an FYI. Nowhere on that letter it will say "this letter must be shown at the dealer to provided the service".

I called local dealer (in Chicagoland area), they were able to look up with my VIN and tell me that my vehicle IS part of that campaign.

Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts