Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Old Fart Moderator
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The roaring I've had for the past several weeks turned out to be the front differential which I suspected. Part is ordered and truck will be ready Wednesday. I guess I get to enjoy this C300 for a couple of days.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 ML350 Bluetec pkg 2, 08 BMW 135i, 2012 F250 PS Diesel
213 Posts
Good to hear the dealer figured it out. Same deal I had. As I said before, the ml drives butter smooth ever since. If you get a chance, ask the service advisor how much this repair would cost outside of warranty. I'm curious and forgot to ask.

·
Super Old Fart Moderator
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear the dealer figured it out. Same deal I had. As I said before, the ml drives butter smooth ever since. If you get a chance, ask the service advisor how much this repair would cost outside of warranty. I'm curious and forgot to ask.
I'll ask them when I pick it up. I did ask them how many balance shafts they've repaired and they indicated maybe a dozen. They've done a whole lot more differentials, though.

·
Registered
2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
711 Posts
my 2006 ml350 has about 82k miles and no warranty. i had lengthy discussion with mbusa and they indicated that not all vehicles need balance shaft repair regardless of engine serial number. there isn't a star bulleting on this differential thing is there? although i probably don't want to know as i am sure based on my engine serial number that i would be screwed.

i have to admit these mercedes do make me nervous. wifes 2001 ml320 has been trouble free for quite a while since replacement of crankshaft position sensor and maf sensor, and harmonic balancer replacement all which were pretty cheap. i am hoping that with 82k miles the 2006 will be ok as problem would have showed up by now. but that may be wishful thinking on my part. i traded in a 2008 front wheel drive base model ford edge for the 2006 ml350 when i took up snowboarding and wanted to get out more to hill on snowy days. i figured i could gain creature comforts and 4 wheel drive with ml. maybe a bad call, but i only paid $22k for it. but no warranty. so far i have only paid about $800 to replace front sam for windshield washer circuit, and $140 for lock to fix myself the rear hatch not locking properly. i saved a few grand by buying ml350 with high mileage. if i have a big repair i give it all back. we will see!

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
I'll ask them when I pick it up. I did ask them how many balance shafts they've repaired and they indicated maybe a dozen. They've done a whole lot more differentials, though.
Could this be another instance of the "soft metal" issue causing premature wear ?

·
Super Old Fart Moderator
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could this be another instance of the "soft metal" issue causing premature wear ?
I don't know but, so far, it seems this particular model year far surpasses it's predecessor in expensive flaws and repairs. Let's see, we have the transmission valve body and control module, balance shaft failure, front differential, none of which you'd want to bear the expense for.

·
Super Old Fart Moderator
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the ML back. It drives slicker than snot on a slug.

Couldn't get any info about repair because all the paper work said was 'WARRANTY' all down the line. It stated bearing in front differential failed and replaced front differential. Also replaced the popping rear hatch strut.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
I have the ML back. It drives slicker than snot on a slug.

Couldn't get any info about repair because all the paper work said was 'WARRANTY' all down the line. It stated bearing in front differential failed and replaced front differential. Also replaced the popping rear hatch strut.:thumbsup:
Does that mean it's not caused by the wear and tear you have been putting on the car ?

·
Super Old Fart Moderator
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pmount said:
Hi cmitch,

Did Huntsville do it or Birmingham? I have had good luck with both. Sometimes it seems that Crown is more forthcoming than Regal.

Have purchased cars at both.
Huntsville did the repairs, since they are much closer. Huntsville is sorta hit and miss on honesty. However, J. W. Johnson and his bunch at Crown are impeccable. I wished I lived closer to them because I would get more work done there. I took the 2002 ML320 in last year to Crown to have them disable the noise feature on the radio. He got into it and said he didn't know what was causing my fluctuating volume but the feature had already been disabled in the AAM. They spent about 45 minutes on it and refused to charge me for their time because they didn't alleviate the problem. There needs to be more service managers like J.W.

Does that mean it's not caused by the wear and tear you have been putting on the car ?
The parts guy said they've repaired a lot of differentials on these vehicles. A differential failing at 53,000 miles is well below the norm, since they should go for several hundred thousand miles with proper oil changes. I'll bet they had sub-standard bearings in them to begin with. Of course, it's Mercedes, as usual, hoping these things last out through the warranty so the owner will have to bear the full expense for repair. Fortunately, I'm covered another year from the 17th. to 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
2013 E350, 2009 ML350
1 Posts
2009 ML350

I just picked up a 2009 ML350 with 64,000 miles on it for my daughter. At delivery I noticed an issue with the front end, stopped the deal and asked the service department to check it out the next morning. Thank god I did! After a few days of diagnostic work they identified it as a Front Differential failure and that it needed to be completely replaced. All parts and labor would be nearly $4000.....thankfully at their expense if i want to proceed with the deal. Had I driven off the lot with no warranty, who knows! They are a great dealership are 100% willing to fix it but it makes us nervous in general. A 2009 with that sort of failure already???

·
Super Old Fart Moderator
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just picked up a 2009 ML350 with 64,000 miles on it for my daughter. At delivery I noticed an issue with the front end, stopped the deal and asked the service department to check it out the next morning. Thank god I did! After a few days of diagnostic work they identified it as a Front Differential failure and that it needed to be completely replaced. All parts and labor would be nearly $4000.....thankfully at their expense if i want to proceed with the deal. Had I driven off the lot with no warranty, who knows! They are a great dealership are 100% willing to fix it but it makes us nervous in general. A 2009 with that sort of failure already???
You'll see mine failed at 53,000. That 2006 was a vehicle with terrible quality. 5 months of it was all I could take.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.