Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280Sw116/380SELw126
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since parting with my w126. But I'm starting to save up for another. I'm determined to get another one by the end of this year- one that will last a long time, particularly a 300 SD- arguably the most durable and reliable 126 ever next to the sterling service 280 SE/L which is another option if I find one here in the U.S. Officially I'm in the market for a 300 SD so I would like some feedback from 300 SD owners. What do I look for when buying one? What usually goes wrong with these cars? What is the average year cost of maintaining one? Thanks

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Arguably the most durable and reliable?? I highly doubt there will by any argument over that fact. Not only are the engines more reliable, the engine related parts are less expensive. Comparing the price of parts between my 1985 300sd and 1986 300sdl, some of the 300sdl parts are TWICE as expensive. As far as what to look for when buying one, I would say, look for the same things as you would with any other w126. Look for a low mileage example, with a good interior, and a clean engine bay, indicating now leaks. For the most part my 300sd has been a dream. Recently I spent about $1000 trying to solve a hard start and dead battery problem. If I had not been so cheap in the first place though, I probably could have only spent $500. I guess you live and you learn though. Other than that, check the suspension components because if they have not already been replaced, the probably will need to be soon. And that is a somewhat expensive job as well, I think mine cost $900, which was done about 3 years ago. Also check the transmission service records, because the diesels are more detrimental to transmissions from what I hear, but don't let that worry you though, average expenctancy for them is around 200,000 miles. But mine has around 320,000 on it and stills shifts great. I am a fanatic about having the transmission serviced, I try to have it done once a year. Cheaper to maintain than replace in my book. Hope this has been helpful.

·
Registered
280Sw116/380SELw126
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JR Rider, very informative. I'll keep this in mind when searching for one. It's posters like you that make this an awesome MB forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts