Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 sec
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and im sure not many remember me for my lack of posting. Anywho, i have a new addition to the family. an 87 560. I feel I did good on this one, a little rust among other small things, and a rough idle, all which I will sort out in the near future.

Its currently at my mechanics garage where it will be looked at, and stored for the mean time along with my 85.

I am not sure what exactly i will do to it. In a way i would like to keep both cars, and i still might, but im thinking of taking the 2 and making one i like and possibly selling off or parting out the 85 once i take certain stuff off of it. Since the wood in the 85 was all purchased from MB brand new around 2005 it still looks gorgeous, where the wood in the 87 has seen much better days. the 85 also has the burgundy interior which i love, while the 87 has tan/brown. The interior needs some love and if the wood is all the same between the 2, i will likely take it out and put it in the 87, along with the Euro headlights, and the AMG kit excluding the springs, since the rear springs in the 85 are slightly sagging and the 87 also has the self leveling rear.

I will likely buy h&r springs for the "new" one and if possible euro bumper mounts since i notice the bumpers on the 87 stick out more than my 85. I will also buy wheels, i used to have 18'' chrome brabus reps on my 85, i might go with something like that or i may spoil myself with some OZ/AMG wheels but that is all later to come. Also i will be painting it, i do not like the 2-tone look.

I know there are threads concerning this question, but while we are both here, anyone feel free to chime in their opinions of h&r springs, should i keep the sls?

The 85 is still nice body wise, but like my other 4 cars, sitting has taken its toll on it, and like many of us may be, i am past the point of no return on what i have invested in it however, i know i will be happy with the 560 because other than the upolstry, all the little things that add up to a ridiculous figure thats wrong with the 85, are fine on the 87 and without the amg bits, the 85 is nothing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I remember you. Congrats and welcome back!

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
The console wood for the climate control and shifter will NOT interchange from 85 to 87, best to source out better condition wood pieces for the 87 or have all of it refinished. Nice looking coupes though.

·
Registered
85 sec
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The console wood for the climate control and shifter will NOT interchange from 85 to 87, best to source out better condition wood pieces for the 87 or have all of it refinished. Nice looking coupes though.
I was thinking that because the layouts and such do look a little differnet, first thing i noticed was the locations of the mirror switch and the speaker control.

thanks for the suggestion. if thats the case i will likely keep the other coupe, that wood was expensive. are there any known companies that does refinishing like this? I am quite good at refinishing antique furniture its something my father and i have done a lot of, but the thought of doing this intimidates me LOL.

·
Registered
85 sec
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any input on the bumpers/bumper mounts? i think i remember reading somewhere you could change them, i havent had a chance to talk to the guy who does my body work.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
any input on the bumpers/bumper mounts? i think i remember reading somewhere you could change them, i havent had a chance to talk to the guy who does my body work.
Front/rear bumpers will interchange. the 85 rear will be a direct bolt on but you will need to trim the lower/outer edges on the front of the 87 frame horns and it will bolt right on. Been there done that.

Madera concepts in Ca, for the job of wood refinishing unless you decide to tackle the job yourself to save some $$$.

·
Registered
85 sec
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bud, i appreciate the advice. I think i still have the wood that was in the 85 before i changed it out, i may experiment with it before i decide whether to send it off or not.

Ill have to find it....i know im not the only one here with a parts shed so you all know lol

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Thanks bud, i appreciate the advice. I think i still have the wood that was in the 85 before i changed it out, i may experiment with it before i decide whether to send it off or not.

Ill have to find it....i know im not the only one here with a parts shed so you all know lol
Anytime, parts shed sounds nice, I've got a parts barn literally! let me look to see if I still have the console wood from my 89 560, if you need a replacement, it was in very good condition when I removed it and I will not have a need for it again, I know I don't have the shifter wood anymore.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC, 1997 S500, 2002 CL600
168 Posts
Welcome back to the forum...Good luck making your decision. I'm glad I don't have the decision to make....:crybaby2:

·
Registered
85 sec
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
lol the main thing that i hate is that the wood cost me more than i could probably get for the car, and if it doesnt interchange...then what. i will probably end up keeping both. i have too many vehicles....first world problems lol

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
SEC wood for door map pockets! (pic's).

I was thinking that because the layouts and such do look a little differnet, first thing i noticed was the locations of the mirror switch and the speaker control.

thanks for the suggestion. if thats the case i will likely keep the other coupe, that wood was expensive. are there any known companies that does refinishing like this? I am quite good at refinishing antique furniture its something my father and i have done a lot of, but the thought of doing this intimidates me LOL.
Yes!

Madera Wood concepts in Goleta (Santa Barbara.)

First class operation, I have toured the factory.

You can get it!

see:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1598134-amg-sec-burl-door-trim-wood.html

Expensive but the VERY best - engineered and handcrafted exclusively for an SEC.

I have it on my 1991 SEC.

·
Registered
85 sec
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YES i viewed the amg style door pieces they had, i am thinking about buying those if they are still available when i start doing all they. I will be looking for the console and climate control sections hopefully i can find some that matches the other wood i have in the 85. if not i may have it refinished. Another thing. my 85 has a burgundy interior which i love very much so, and i dont see it often in our cars. The seats i can have re upholstered and all but i was wondering for the door panels and the other trim that is colored, can it be dyed in a fashion that it will last and look good? i am not a fan of the tan in this car, but if there is no right way to change it i can live with it. Also i would like to put the rolltop console from my 85 in this one (i paid 650 for it from mercedes and dont want to do that again and i am [no disrespect toward the Jewish] jewish at heart lol. I do want to do this car right and make it what i wish my 85 was. Has anyone done an interior color change? opinions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts