Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weak start on my sons 92,once running alternator checks out,headlights on ,get 13.8vdc at terminals of battery, battery won't hold a charge so thinking of Autozones Duralast,twice the size that's in there!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,394 Posts
In the past, this has become close to a 'what's the best engine oil?' type thread. For every 'great' battery story, you'll get a negative story for the same battery. As always with you, price point will be your main consideration. What I did was go with a John Deere tractor battery of the right group. Robert was gonna do the same thing, but his local JD dealer was hosing him on price.

Good luck!

Kevin

·
Registered
W124
5,169 Posts
I'm interested in hearing more feedback on Kevin's John Deere battery. In the meantime, the OEM batteries are great and around $125 without any discounting.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
Costco has 100 month warranty on $60 batteries.
Mercedes batteries are good. We had the Spanish made lasting over 12 years in our ML, but the 24 month warranty sucks.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,388 Posts
I've been happy with Bosch group 49 batteries. Only $100 and comes with 8 year pro-rated warranty and free roadside assistance.

If it wasn't for the warranty or the free roadside assistance, I'd opt for the genuine MB battery.

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm only going with the Duralast because the one in my Chevy truck has been in there for 9 years,and still cranks that beast up like new! around $120,put one in the SE and what a difference! good thing I just sold exactly that amount over nite on ebay!!! why is it on my day off the temps here are 100F!:eek:

·
Registered
'91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
547 Posts
Duralast are fine batteries. Opinions will vary, but I have used plenty of them in various vehicles in the past and they hold up just as good as the OEMs the replaced.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree! the Bosch one lasted 3 years in the SE, just installed the new one for Jr's car,twice as long as the group 48 battery,was $119 out the door!

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
Since I have the diesel, I ponied up the extra cash and went with the Duralast Platinum. Seems like a well made battery and it has no trouble starting the car. I've only had it about 6 months, but hopefully it will last awhile.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The 300TE had an Interstate, lasted a good while and was replaced with a Bosch group 49 IIRC.

My W123 uses a group 49 also, previously an International Sears DieHard, now replaced with an MB white battery. The DieHard lasted 9 years but I only replaced because it started generating the white powdery stuff at the terminals. Cleaned it up and tossed in the MB battery, and it's been good since.

My W201 used to have a Duralast, they're good batteries too. Replaced with a Bosch of the same size as recommended by my mechanic, who has 3 W124's and all have the Bosch type.

Diesels require a higher cranking battery due to higher engine compression and glow plug heating they need to overcome on startup.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
I just use the highest amp Costco battery.

100 month warranty, 36 month free replacement.
I've been using them for last 20 years. The batteries are not the highest quality, but I had a pair for my Ford diesel. After a year I had some hesitation on start up and measured one battery 0.2 V lower then the other. Took them back over a year after the purchase and got full refund for the purchase of new batteries. No question ask.
The other battery for W210 lasted only 49 months, but I got the 50% or $40 + tax refunded. Bad news they no longer carry vented batteries.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I believe Johnson Controls manufactures Diehard, Interstate, Duralast, Varta and some OEM MB batteries. I run Duralast in my entire fleet of gas and diesel cars. I've used Interstate in the past with excellent results as well.

·
Registered
C200 Elegance
32 Posts
Any well known brand should be OK.

Due to the large capacity and position of the battery in the rear of the car, away from the heat, you should get, with normal use, at least a life 6 years.

Car batteries do not tolerate complete discharging and recharging they will soon sulphate up and have to be replaced. A major cause of a short life.

If your battery is going flat then I expect their is some piece of electrics not switching off. Check for any significant discharge with an ammeter. I think the resting current consumption is about or less than 0.30 amps

·
Registered
94 E320 Estate
63 Posts
excellent point joebagnara,i was just about to state that. one of the best ways to let your battery last as long as possible,is to always keep it charged up(like when a car sits for long periods and is not a DD,..and certain constant driving condition,like everything electrical is on all the time,puts more of a strain)(many vehicles have some kind of tiny constant draw too,like a clock,computer,etc..).

an excellent investment is a quality,fully self-regulating trickle charger. the type that turns itself off(extremely important<--pay attention here) when the battery is fully charged.

i replaced several batteries on an aprilia superbike(large,twin,high compression pistons aren't easy to turn/start for a motorcycle type battery unless it's fully up) i still have that wasn't driven every day UNTIL i bought and used one of these chargers. the new battery installed at the time i bought the charger is still great,even when the bike sits for long periods(which is not a good idea for other reasons but the battery is not an issue any more). you would think that this bike draws nothing(literally,there is nothing on that you see at all) from the battery when off,but the computer(verified by other aprilia aficionados too) is always draining a tiny bit.

easy to use too. find a convenient,sweet spot somewhere. going for a drive?,unplug and snap on cover/seal. come home un-snap cover and re-plug. easy-peasy. never a battery problem.

none of this means that all batteries are created equal.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Anyone using Optima batteries. That's what my 300D came with. They are expesive! Why are people so obsessed with warranties. As far as I'm concerened, I don't want to have to use any warranty.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts