Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML 320: Engine:112942 31 305548, Transmission: 722662 03 807606, FrontAxelAL431020714752162233
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple of days my ML 320 has been running so nice that it feels as if it has been born again. It feels like it has new energy and behaving like it probably should have from the factory. It has only 61,000 miles yes that's right 61K on an almost 10 year old vehicle. Assembled in Sept 2002 but is a 2003 model year.
I started driving it at 38,000 miles almost 3 years ago and 2 of those years and all the years before that it was garaged and driven very little.

I have really stepped up the pace on driving it almost daily now and its like its awakened from a deep sleep.

It use to stumble and growl and never felt quite right. Almost like something was holding it back, or something was clogged.

The only thing I have ever done to it is a few oil changes, differential oil change, transfer case fluid change, cleaner the MAF a few months ago and put new tires of the correct size instead of the undersized snow tires it use to have. I reset the adaptive transmission, and put in a new battery a while back. Changed the air filter, cabin filter about a year ago.

I use to have a diesel car a few years ago and they say its not really broken in until 50,000 miles. I almost feel like this is the same thing with the ML. It runs better now that I drive it more often. I will now be using it about 20,000 miles per year.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
I have really stepped up the pace on driving it almost daily now and its like its awakened from a deep sleep.
Good for you. What took you so long?

It used to stumble and growl and never felt quite right. Almost like something was holding it back, or something was clogged.
Stumble and growl are not good - and they don't fix themselves.

The only thing I have ever done to it is a few oil changes, differential oil change, transfer case fluid change, cleaner the MAF a few months ago and put new tires of the correct size instead of the undersized snow tires it use to have. I reset the adaptive transmission, and put in a new battery a while back. Changed the air filter, cabin filter about a year ago.
You worry me plenty with the few oil changes statement. For a 03, you should have changed the oil based on the FSS (basically every 10-13K or once a year). Also, why did you do the other stuff when the car was just sitting there? What's with the undersized tires situation? You seem to have done a few things that seem to have given the truck new life but I'm wondering why you did those things.

I use to have a diesel car a few years ago and they say its not really broken in until 50,000 miles. I almost feel like this is the same thing with the ML. It runs better now that I drive it more often. I will now be using it about 20,000 miles per year.
I hope you are right. I'm just not as enthusiastic because the logic of all this seems illogical. Please keep us posted - great ML stories always keep us excited.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts