Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this topic was covered before. Why West coast have more W126 as compared to rest of the USA. Its all about Benjamin????????????????.
One more question- Why West coast MB Owners more helpful than East cost MB Owners- not always but generally.?

Sahai

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Forgive me if this topic was covered before. Why West coast have more W126 as compared to rest of the USA. Its all about Benjamin????????????????.
One more question- Why West coast MB Owners more helpful than East cost MB Owners- not always but generally.?

Sahai
Nobody likes sunrises, puts you in a bad mood all day. We get sunset's out here, which make a nice end to a day.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
When you live on the west coast and you go to work in the morning, the sun is in your eyes. And when you go home at night, its in your eyes again. That's why the east coast is more populated than the west coast. Of course, it doesn't matter if you get up around noon and go down to the beach and hang out all day.

This topic has been discussed before and I think it was well proven that there are lot more W126 cars on the east coast than on the west coast. in fact, I think it was proven that there are more W126 cars within 500 miles of Chicago than 500 miles of LA. See for yourself. Go to cars.com and see how many w126 cars are for sale within say, 100 miles from LA and 100 miles from an east coast city. (no, its not fair if you pick Charleston SC.).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The northern West Coast...

..overrun by Euro W126s, most ex-Japan market refugees. Nothing seems to rust here either.

And the NA market 126 is very well represented - a handful seen on the daily commute, probably the only 20+ year old cars used as DD around here.

·
9,038 Posts
This topic has been discussed before and I think it was well proven that there are lot more W126 cars on the east coast than on the west coast. in fact, I think it was proven that there are more W126 cars within 500 miles of Chicago than 500 miles of LA. See for yourself. Go to cars.com and see how many w126 cars are for sale within say, 100 miles from LA and 100 miles from an east coast city. (no, its not fair if you pick Charleston SC.).
I still find that remark funny. If you say so:p

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I still find that remark funny. If you say so:p
Hello! Dr. Grillz- I don't intend to hurt East or West coast but in my experience some how west coast members are more active on BW as compared to east coast.

Sahai

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I think I've said this before, but it seems to me it's mostly about snow. The most populated/wealthy areas in the west are often climates without it, while the biggest cities in the east usually do have snow... Save for a few exceptions on each side... but I'd be willing to bet the majority of the population that lives in the east lives in snowfall areas, and the opposite for the west.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
I think I've said this before, but it seems to me it's mostly about snow. The most populated/wealthy areas in the west are often climates without it, while the biggest cities in the east usually do have snow... Save for a few exceptions on each side... but I'd be willing to bet the majority of the population that lives in the east lives in snowfall areas, and the opposite for the west.
That is a big part of the reason: because snow and salted roads over time leads to rust and rot.

There are hardly ANY cars left of any year make and model after 20 years, on the roads where that is an issue. Other than some die hard collectors that cherish them, and are mint, many continue to ply the roads of So Cal, but yet, even now the w126 has never really been given its proper due as a collector car.

~~~~~

It's been mentioned before, (but not here on this thread) but another reason is that California, but most particularly, Southern California, is not only ground zero for car culture not ONLY in the USA but probably in the whole world.

Its the home of a massive freeway system, and the bus system is spotty and disdained by EVERYONE but the very poor and very old, who have no choice, and a few die-hand "eco-weenies" (as P.J. O'Rourke calls them) and a handful of bike crazies here and there.

Enrique, the star mechanic/owner of MR.MB. Motors, once told me in the 22 years he'd lived there in Los Angeles having his shop off Ventura Blvd, in Tarzana, he had NEVER taken the bus.

Not even ONE time!

With its teeming tens of millions (not counting the illegals) of people, (and horrifc traffic jams and 24 hour / 7 day carpool lanes some places) Los Angeles is dedicated to the car culture.

The weather is mild and sunny there almost all the time, which lends to the preservation of the automobiles, but as the world's center of car culture, it supports countless shops and businesses dedicated to the cleaning, detailing, accessorizing, repairing, maintenance and sales of them.

People take their cars VERY seriously down there.

In addition, their ubiquity means that for a would be w126 buyer, (even today), the sheer volume of them, not ONLY brings down the prices, but gives you a much better choice of w126 cars, in your choice of mileage, color, equipment, euro- or US- spec, condition and price.

I found this to be so EVEN when back around 1995 I began my search for one.

In over a year, of looking, in Northern California, when back then they were still offered on Mercedes Benz dealer lots now and then for sale, I could not find one in a suitable color (my wife had limited me to black, dark red or dark blue for a 560SEC, and low mile ones back then cost about $35,000 to $45,000),

And so one night in bed we discussed this and decided
to get up early at 5am and drive to LA and look. (this was long before the internet), so we drove down there together, from our home in San Francisco, bought the early Sunday edition of the LA Times and saw 2 or 3 ones at Mercedes Benz dealers in black advertised for sale.

I did not like the one for sale at Downtown LA Mercedes Benz so we hopped back in the Crown Vic and went to the House of Imports Mercedes Benz in Orange County (Buena Park near Disneyland) and saw a pearl black 1991 ( wanted a really late model year low mileage one) and so I bought it.

I still drive it today, 16 years on.

I think the sheer number of car enthusiasts, the So Cal car culture, and now the internet, accounts for a natural preponderance of more W126 fanatics.

Many are here and on peach parts. Or both places at once.

There have in the last 5-6 years, been many So-Cal internet forum-based gtg's and tours for w126 cars (and w123 ones too, both diesel and gasser) and many members are known to each other, and certainly junkyards in the Sun Valley area are frequented and alerts given and parts informally spotted and then grabbed too (I saw a HUGE temporary influx of junked w126ers in the cash for clunkers weeks),

And at heart I feel more at home personally down in So Cal amongst all the bw long time members down there. I would like to think I am an honorary Southern Californian w126 owner. I make lots of trips down there, as many of you guys know for reasons relating to this car and people there that own them..

If someone gives a quick shout out, for a meetup of LA w126 owners, more often than not, at least a half a dozen people will immediately signal that they will be there.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You're absolutely correct Cascade. Brilliant assessment.

Of course the year-round good weather means we can work on our cars outside most anytime. And, drag races and sport car races all started here, too. Who remembers Saugus and Santa Maria? And the races at the airport in Santa Barbara? That interest brought the development of Edelbrock and Iskendarian, Shelby, Reventlow and many others to the area. We became the 'home' by default.

I appreciate my own good fortune and wouldn't live any other place.

(I'm 73, and the only time I EVER rode a bus was one year during the war when I went to public school.)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Today is no exception. There are exactly two times as many 87-91 W126 cars for sale within 500 miles of NYC as LA on cars.com. The average price is higher on the east coast and, frankly, a lot better looking cars.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Today is no exception. There are exactly two times as many 87-91 W126 cars for sale within 500 miles of NYC as LA on cars.com. The average price is higher on the east coast and, frankly, a lot better looking cars.
your base of how many cars are for sale in certain radius is itself wrong as there may be more cars in certain radius of city but not for sale as they are still loved more and in such good shape that people don't want to sell it.
You are seeing more cars in east coast for sale because they are either rusted or in end of their life cycle where as west coast still has lot more cars in driving condition on road.

Count how many w126 and w124 series (or any 20 year old german car) you see in one day of your driving of lets say 100 or 200 miles and i can bet, you will see twice of those number in quarter of those miles driving in socal.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
your base of how many cars are for sale in certain radius is itself wrong as there may be more cars in certain radius of city but not for sale as they are still loved more and in such good shape that people don't want to sell it.
You are seeing more cars in east coast for sale because they are either rusted or in end of their life cycle where as west coast still has lot more cars in driving condition on road.

Count how many w126 and w124 series (or any 20 year old german car) you see in one day of your driving of lets say 100 or 200 miles and i can bet, you will see twice of those number in quarter of those miles driving in socal.

I know you California guys think that. I get that. You're just wrong. I see W126's all over NYC every time I go (it drives my wife nuts when I want to stop someone with a perfect one) and here in cincinnati I see them all the time. I drive a W126 every day and my wife drives a W124 every day. It is not at all uncommon for me to park next to either a 124 or a 126 in the downtown parking lots.

Look, I know there is a lot of testosterone pride about everything California out there. Just like everything is bigger in Texas. Only sometimes it just isn't so.

the whole rusted out car thing is a myth too. A car in NYC is about 20 times as likely to spend its entire life in a garage as it is in LA. And two of four of my MB drivers have spent two decades outside and driven in snow and salt and I would bet you would have to be here in person to find a spot of rust.

Of course I do have a museum perfect 560SEL with 50k on it. It came from NYC too. Not a stain on the original carpets.

We don't see as many of those AMG adorned rigs out east and we don't see any W126's converted to low riders, which seem to make up a bit of the LA population.

I think you would be surprised about the demographics here in the midwest. sure, if you are an auto parts worker and out of work, things are a little dismal. But our lawyers and doctors and engineers and accountants make pretty close to what they would make in California at a cost of living of about half. There is a whole lot more disposable income here in Cincinnati for those professionals than in LA. And, a lot of very nice cars. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know you California guys think that. I get that. you're just wrong. I see W126's all over NYC every time I go (it drives my wife nuts when I want to stop someone with a perfect one) and here in cincinnati I see them all the time.

Look, I know there is a lot of testosterone pride about everything California out there. Just like everything is bigger in Texas. Only sometimes it just isn't so.
Hey! Guys- Take it easy. Let me say again-

Original question was = Which coast have more W126 owners? East or West coast. Not where you see more W126. Not everybody drive W126 daily. Not everybody is member of BW. I think the best way we sattle this issue is to find out how many W126 are registered with DMV in west coast and east coast. And I think this information is next to impossible to get. Other altenative is to do some kind of Poll on some famous MB forums. I do not know how to do poll? If some one know it, Guide me , at least I can try.

Sahai

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

Sahai
We just have more energy. We can sleep in 3 hours longer than the east coast allowing us to stay up 3 hours longer to answer questions. Just kidding LOL!

Mike

·
9,038 Posts
I know you California guys think that. I get that. You're just wrong. I see W126's all over NYC every time I go (it drives my wife nuts when I want to stop someone with a perfect one) and here in cincinnati I see them all the time. I drive a W126 every day and my wife drives a W124 every day. It is not at all uncommon for me to park next to either a 124 or a 126 in the downtown parking lots.

the whole rusted out car thing is a myth too. A car in NYC is about 20 times as likely to spend its entire life in a garage as it is in LA. And two of four of my MB drivers have spent two decades outside and driven in snow and salt and I would bet you would have to be here in person to find a spot of rust.

Of course I do have a museum perfect 560SEL with 50k on it. It came from NYC too. Not a stain on the original carpets.

We don't see as many of those AMG adorned rigs out east and we don't see any W126's converted to low riders, which seem to make up a bit of the LA population.

I think you would be surprised about the demographics here in the midwest. sure, if you are an auto parts worker and out of work, things are a little dismal. But our lawyers and doctors and engineers and accountants make pretty close to what they would make in California at a cost of living of about half. There is a whole lot more disposable income here in Cincinnati for those professionals than in LA. And, a lot of very nice cars. Trust me on this.
I lived in both areas, visited many areas of the midwest for business/travels and I know what I saw. Your opinion that there are more W126's and better quality W126's in the midwest than on the west coast doesn't match up with what I've seen. Even beater W126's or other Mercedes cars of that era are in better body shape than what I've come across in Ohio and PA. Sure you run in to creme-puffs from time to time, but not as often as what you'll find on the west coast. I know you got something against the left-coast... clearly visible in your tone, but from what I've seen your opinion doesn't hold true. In fact, I would even say that the Southeast area... Carolina's down to Florida probably have more W126's and you'll find better examples.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I live in the second largest city in Illinois and I keep hearing that we in the midwest have so many w126's... I've seen maybe five(in the past 6 months), and i'm pretty sure 3 of the times it was the same lady in an almost identical 500, mediocre condition. The 560 I saw, which also, oddly matched mine, was in awful condition, and the one or two diesels I've seen, both in poor condition. I think you'll find around here that the majority of people selling 126's do not drive them at all,(especially this time of year,) hence the more for sale in these type of areas. Every one I had looked at had been sitting for at least 6 months.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I lived in both areas, visited many areas of the midwest for business/travels and I know what I saw. Your opinion that there are more W126's and better quality W126's in the midwest than on the west coast doesn't match up with what I've seen. Even beater W126's or other Mercedes cars of that era are in better body shape than what I've come across in Ohio and PA. Sure you run in to creme-puffs from time to time, but not as often as what you'll find on the west coast. I know you got something against the left-coast... clearly visible in your tone, but from what I've seen your opinion doesn't hold true. In fact, I would even say that the Southeast area... Carolina's down to Florida probably have more W126's and you'll find better examples.

Didn't say that. read my post and you will see that there are more and better W126 cars on the east coast than the west. Not the midwest as you said. What I did say is that there are plenty of nice cars in Cincinnati and that last time we did this there were more W126 cars in Chicago surrounds than LA. And there were. I've been to LA plenty of times and all the W126's I see out and about are tricked out rides with painted grills and wheels scraping the wheel wells. I see perfect pristine personal limo quality W126's every time I'm in NY and the numbers bear me out.

California has about the same number of people as NY, NJ and PA. I am sure someone can tell us how many W126 era MB were registered by state. If it isn't two times as many in NY, NJ and PA given the same population, I'll be surprised.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Didn't say that. read my post and you will see that there are more and better W126 cars on the east coast than the west. Not the midwest as you said. What I did say is that there are plenty of nice cars in Cincinnati and that last time we did this there were more W126 cars in Chicago surrounds than LA. And there were. I've been to LA plenty of times and all the W126's I see out and about are tricked out rides with painted grills and wheels scraping the wheel wells. I see perfect pristine personal limo quality W126's every time I'm in NY and the numbers bear me out.
How is it possible Dr. Grillz? That all the W126 in LA are modified? - I am sure all of us think that Original Condition Mercedes is good mercedes.

Sahai

·
9,038 Posts
There are a lot of W126's running about in the area, most are plain Jane with stock US headlights and wheels. I would say maybe a quarter, if that, are modified with aftermarket wheels or bodykits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts