Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6; 2010 Porsche Boxster; 2009 Mini Clubman
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is quite painful to post since this P.o.S. left me stranded at work today. It has had an issue with cold starts - up to 3 tries to get it started. It would gurgle a bit then fire right up and run smooth.

Well this time, I started it, drove it to another building on my work campus. Let it for about 5 minutes, it started right up, I then drove it to another building and parked. I left it for about 10 minutes, came out and started again. This time, it started for about 10 seconds then died. That's where I left it because now it just cranks and does not turn over.

I am hoping this is not a bad fuel pump or cold start valve issues since those are $$$$$$$$. Anyway, what ticks me off more is that I was planning on replacing all the shocks on this long weekend, but unfortunately, I have to have it towed and will sit in the shop until at least Monday.

There you have it! - Happy Thanksgiving!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG I think it could be the OVP!!! I read some other threads now about it having no performance and drives like towing a boat. That's exactly what I thought this morning trying to accelerate. It's been very lethargic!!

Now the million dollar question - is there anything simple I can do to get it started so I don't have to have it towed? It's still sitting at work and is in a wierd place for a tow truck to find (like the center of campus).

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
if its been stalling,getting bad MPG, or idling high it's definitely the ovp. could also be the fuel pump relay, i would let the car sit there and order both. replace the ovp, if it doesn't fix the problem try the fuel pump relay. PROBABLY is the ovp but you can always return the fuel pump relay if it isn't that. in Cincinnati it's more to call and have your car towed than to have it impounded, either way if you let it sit you might get likely and not get towed =p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sranjesuper and benznoob! I went back to the car tonight and tried to start it, did not work. I then popped the hood and dug in the back for the OVP. I pressed on it and it seemed to be a tad loose and actually pressed down a tad bit. That worked! I tried it a couple more times and it started on the 2nd try.

Luckily, I was able to drive it home and I can avoid the tow and being hung up all weekend at the repair shop. I also noticed it had a bit more pick-up than before but not a lot. I am going to get a new OVP and replace it to be sure. The gas mileage has been a bit sub par.

Big relief!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1987 190E 2.3 apx 255k owned since new
91 Posts
How many pins & fuses does your OVP have?
I had replaced mine and the car did not run correctly.
My old OVP had only 1 fuse and less pins on the bottom.
They don't make them that way anymore.

·
Registered
82 300SD Euro
11 Posts
Yep....Drove my 82 300 SD home last night this morning it won't start
Getting Diesel to the injectors
I got so frustrated I ethered it...no start
I'm sooo pisst

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
The cheapest thing you can do is clean the butterfly plate. Sometimes when its near freezing temps in CA that flap gets sticky because of the gum and vanish stuck to it. It may look clean but will come out black. Use carb/choke cleaner only. Other stuff will damage things. I had some hard starting before when the temps when from super hot to super cold over night....and it caused this. Sprayed and wiped....zero issues since.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't wait for my new OVP to come in on Monday. Today it wouldn't start again, and after tinking with the OVP it started again. Now the car is bucking and losing power going down the freeway intermittently. Seems to happen most when slowing down, which seems to be another characteristic. The car didn't die or anything, just would not accelerate and then would accelerate. Very strange!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OVP was the culprit! I got the new one today and replaced it, and she started right up, no hesitation. Runs like a champ now!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I celebrated too soon. Now the ABS light is on and driving like crap. I don't know if I didn't get it stalled all the way down or not, can't really see. I tried the old one and the same thing. My luck I screwed something else up.

·
Registered
190E 2.6
3 Posts
I'm no expert, but have you checked the distributor cap? I had some of the symptoms you mentioned here in the thread(on my own 190E)

One day I decided to check it and sure enough the cap was cracked(idk how... from heat?) also one of the connections from a wire was, what appeared to be corroded to one of the pins of the cap. So I assumed it was making poor contact.

I replaced the wire and cap and all was good..

hope you fix yours soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts