Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my wife and I went out for dinner at a very nice little cafe that just opened in a new strip mall. I parked next to a very sharp looking BMW Z3. it was black and looked to have been freshly Zainoed...very nice detail job. We both were topless and I stopped to admire the Z3 for a minute or two before going into the restaurant. We were lucky enough to get a seat right in front, at the window with a straight-on view of both cars.

The table turned out to be a ring side seat to quite a show. Every party that left the restaurant and passed my SLK stopped to take a look. Three middle-aged women who were parked in a SUV next to my car walked out and I thought: "Uh oh, watch them hit my driver's side door carelessly" But instead all three walked around both the Z3 aqnd my SLK 55 for about five minutes admiring each one in turn. I could tell they were appreciative. My wife thought it was a gas. [:D]

The highlight was when the owner of the Z3 left the restaurant with a very nice looking woman, I was watching closely without being too obvious, my wife was with me afterall. [:D] The gentleman opened the passenger door for the lady and got in himself. He started to back out when he suddenly noticed my car. Believe it or not, he became animated and pulled back into his space. Then he got out of his car. He walked around my car and took several photos with a cellphone. I could see him talking excitedly to his woman about the SLK 55. Finally, after a minute or two, even his woman got out to check out the SLK. They must have spent at least five minutes checking it out. When the finally were leaving, he drove around the lot and stopped behind my car for one last photo opportunity of my my SLKs back end.

My wife and I are getting used to people stopping us to ask about the SLK.

[8D][:D]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice! I notice that too, and I don't even have the 55! I just got this car two days ago, but have already gotten stopped by 5 random people with questions about the car[8D]

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
1,950 Posts
reallife - 4/22/2006 12:49 PM

Last night my wife and I went out for dinner at a very nice little cafe that just opened in a new strip mall. I parked next to a very sharp looking BMW Z3. it was black and looked to have been freshly Zainoed...very nice detail job. We both were topless and I stopped to admire the Z3 for a minute or two before going into the restaurant. We were lucky enough to get a seat right in front, at the window with a straight-on view of both cars.

The table turned out to be a ring side seat to quite a show. Every party that left the restaurant and passed my SLK stopped to take a look. Three middle-aged women who were parked in a SUV next to my car walked out and I thought: "Uh oh, watch them hit my driver's side door carelessly" But instead all three walked around both the Z3 aqnd my SLK 55 for about five minutes admiring each one in turn. I could tell they were appreciative. My wife thought it was a gas. [:D]

The highlight was when the owner of the Z3 left the restaurant with a very nice looking woman, I was watching closely without being too obvious, my wife was with me afterall. [:D] The gentleman opened the passenger door for the lady and got in himself. He started to back out when he suddenly noticed my car. Believe it or not, he became animated and pulled back into his space. Then he got out of his car. He walked around my car and took several photos with a cellphone. I could see him talking excitedly to his woman about the SLK 55. Finally, after a minute or two, even his woman got out to check out the SLK. They must have spent at least five minutes checking it out. When the finally were leaving, he drove around the lot and stopped behind my car for one last photo opportunity of my my SLKs back end.

My wife and I are getting used to people stopping us to ask about the SLK.

[8D][:D]
My SLK200 gets lots of thumbs up here in Bangkok...especially when I have the top down [you have to know there are hardly any SLKs in Thailand and one never sees any car with the top down]. Today I put the top down while at a traffic light. I was surrounded my motorcycles. All the bikers just smiled and made thumbs up.

We also have a S here. But no one gives it a second glance because the city is awash with S class cars.

I have found that riding around in 34c - 35c (high 90s) degree weather is not uncomfortable if I turn the air conditioning to a 6 or 7 on the dial.

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
Nice stoty about the Z3 guy, I thought he bumped into your Car[:)]

·
Registered
858 Posts
[:D]Obviously we're all biased with our love for the SLK. It's nice that so many are in awe of it's looks. With the low numbers on the road, I'm sure many have never seen one in person. Stunning looks and it's a Mercedes. Ride the wave!

·
Registered
2009 C350
30 Posts
Is a relief to find out that others, too, like to admire their car, like sitting in a table with a view of the parking lot, see, I am not the only one. Great.

·
Registered
2006 Brabus B55
476 Posts
Here in the OC, fancy cars are too common. Nobody takes much notice at even super-exotics any more. It kind of sucks.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Yeah, it happens to me as well. I was coming out of a shopping center a couple of months ago. As I was walking toward my 350 I noticed a pick-up with a man and woman behind the car talking and pointing. They continued for a couple of minutes as I watched and then drove off.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350/ amg kit
250 Posts
This happened to me at all time, I have owned a vette and have an old porshe but everytime i get in my garage for a quik needed thinks i stop end spend lots time admire my car just a 350 slk.

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
They should provide poles and rope to errect round the car while parked . maybe a little stand and poster with a small description of the vehicle. ;) I completely take the car for granted.. When I park up and walk towards people and there looking over.. i'm thinking what have I parked in a disabled spot or something? doesn't occur that there looking at the car.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
113 Posts
I was heading back to my car parked at my daughter’s softball game and noticed an elderly couple heading to their car. They approached my car and the man stopped and acted as if he was about to open my door. The lady continued then turned around to see what he was doing. He then said something to her and she returned. Then they both admired the car then walked off. It looked as if he was acting as if the car was his and ask her if wanted a ride. I was too far away to hear the conversation, but it was fun to watch.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
502 Posts
bakerdbl26 said:
I was heading back to my car parked at my daughter’s softball game and noticed an elderly couple heading to their car. They approached my car and the man stopped and acted as if he was about to open my door. The lady continued then turned around to see what he was doing. He then said something to her and she returned. Then they both admired the car then walked off. It looked as if he was acting as if the car was his and ask her if wanted a ride. I was too far away to hear the conversation, but it was fun to watch.
Last Sunday I went to the driving range with my SLK, top down of course. I parked it distant from the tee but well within sight difference, again with the top down.

As I was warming up, a couple was finishing and walked around the clubhouse and saw my SLK350. They quick left ruen and made a beeline towards my car, and both circled the car discussing and pointing at my Firemist Red beauty. I got a kick out of it and just stopped hitting balls to watch them enjoy my car. They saw me and waved, so I went over and spent about 10 minutes talking about how "I love my car".

It keeps happening.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts