Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Have a 06 R350 and the warranty expired this June. I had taken the vehicle to the dealer before the warranty expiration and asked him to take a look at the driver's tail light as it was flickering (no error was being displayed). The dealer said that the bulb was going out and he said he replaced it.....
Last week got a message that both tail lights were out and substitute lights were on. Checked the bulbs and they were ok, yet I replaced them with new ones. One week everything was fine and then yesterday got a message that both tail-lights and both brake-lights are out. 6 messages in the console !!!

I read in previous forums that there was a service recall for the wiring harness for the back lights. Now my question is that can I go to the dealer mentioning that there was a service recall and he needs to fix this issue under that or would I have to pay to get it fixed.

Has anyone had such an experience. Appreciate your responses.

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
Got my wiring replaced as per the TSB (technical service bulletin). My receipt said no charge (TSB) and not " covered by warranty" (my car is under warranty). So IMHO the TSB has nothing to do with warranty. Call and ask them but I would be very surprised if they say you have to pay for repairing a defect.

·
Registered
06 R360, 06 F350 6.0, 04 CayenneS, 96 911TT 500HP, 86 928S, 74 911S, 73 914-4, 70 914-6, 02 Durrango
301 Posts
one of mine is out, I will send it in to get fixed under waranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke to the local MB dealership and also gave a call to customer assistance at Mercedes.
They told me that their system does not show my vehicle being under recall for this issue.

Any suggestions if I can do a DIY? Check fuses/loose wiring?

If not; I guess I would be set back by a couple of hundred. Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 R350 1999 ML430 2003 Audi Allroad
41 Posts
I spoke to the local MB dealership and also gave a call to customer assistance at Mercedes.
They told me that their system does not show my vehicle being under recall for this issue.

Any suggestions if I can do a DIY? Check fuses/loose wiring?

If not; I guess I would be set back by a couple of hundred. Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
It's not a recall- its a TSB.

Here's a list of them, this might help you in discussing it with MB:

Maintenance, Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called-up and spoke to customer assist at Mercedes and they said they will not be able to support the repair as the TSB is for specific VIN numbers and my vehicle does not fall within that range. This would be a 'customer-pay' repair !!!!

Will take the vehicle to the s(t)ealership tomorrow to see what they says.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ours was just replaced at the dealer under warranty?

This is the TSB, but it doesn't go into detail:

Component Description:
37. EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TAIL LIGHTS Bulletin Number: TB-82-10-632
Bulletin Date: Aug 2008

Vehicle: 2,007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class
Summary:
MERCEDES: STOP/TAIL LIGHT NOT ILLUMINATING WITH DTCS 9102, 9103, 9106, 9107, 9126, 9127 OR 9136. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10028025 )

Ours just went out on our 2006 R350.

Does anybody know how to get the text for the TSB?

TB-82-10-632

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm 6 weeks out of warranty, at least on the Bto B warranty. I doubt they will cover this under powertrain which is the 5/60. maybe they will give me a break since we are way under on miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I doubt it.

We were over by 4k miles on our 8 year/80k emmisions on our 2006 R350 and they wouldn't fix a bracket that helps support the cat, even though we have a 100k extended warranty. It rattles/vibrates until the car warms up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Have a 06 R350 and the warranty expired this June. I had taken the vehicle to the dealer before the warranty expiration and asked him to take a look at the driver's tail light as it was flickering (no error was being displayed). The dealer said that the bulb was going out and he said he replaced it.....
Last week got a message that both tail lights were out and substitute lights were on. Checked the bulbs and they were ok, yet I replaced them with new ones. One week everything was fine and then yesterday got a message that both tail-lights and both brake-lights are out. 6 messages in the console !!!

I read in previous forums that there was a service recall for the wiring harness for the back lights. Now my question is that can I go to the dealer mentioning that there was a service recall and he needs to fix this issue under that or would I have to pay to get it fixed.

Has anyone had such an experience. Appreciate your responses.

Thanks !!!
For all with this problem:

I had a similar problem in my 06 R350. It is a bad connection between the bulb holder and the tail light assembly. The aft bulbs are in bayonet-mounted (push-and-twist) holders. Notice, there are no wires going to the bulbs. Electricity is delivered to the bulbs via metal traces on the back surface of the housing. The contact points from the bulb holder to the traces on the back of the housing become corroded and the contacts get burned.

Here is what you do:
1) See if any of the tail light bulbs look dimmer than normal (usually happens on one side) or bulbs who's brightnes fluctuates.
2) Remove that bulb.
3) Look at the contacts on the bulb holder and acrefully inspect the metal traces on the back of the tail light assembly that supply power to that bulb.
4) If the contacs and / or the traces look pitted, corroded, burned, discolored, carefully but thoroughly clean them to remove any residue (use fine sand paper or a dremel steel brush). Make sure you get to the base metal in order to re-establish good contact.
5) Replace said bulb and holder into the tail light assembly.
6) Re-start car, test function.
7) Repeat in other locations if necessary.

Good luck all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts