Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:
Like many of you, I am quite the Mercedes fanatic. I have owned many 70s and 80s models and I just bought a new (to me) G500. There are a couple issues (for now) with it, and I would be greatful for any help:

1. Illuminated door sills don't light up. I have read that these run on AC power and there is a DC/AC inverter along the line. The fuse is OK. Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?

2. Passenger side window functions properly when operated from driver's control but does not work when operated with passenger door switch. I have replaced the switch but the window still does not come down. Any ideas?

3. Is there a service manual DVD for this series. If so, anyone know where I can get one?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1993 600 SEC, 2001 G500
119 Posts
The 2002 G500 is notorious for window problems.
From now on, I keep my windows rolled up most of the time,
since replacing the window regulator is about $300.00.
And I broke the driver's side illumiunated door sill simply
by stepping on it while getting in the truck. Sheesh!
Even though they are hand built, lots of things break because
the parts used are cheaply made. That is the legacy of
DaimlerChrysler......price it before you build it!

·
Banned
299 Posts
Probably the most frustrating thing to go wrong with any vehicle is an electrical problem(s).

Unfortunately.... due to the desires from just about everyone on the planet to have everything electrically powered it's about impossible to ever have a vehicle that won't experience some sort of electrical malady in it's life and they seem to get worse, more complex and frequent as time goes on.

With time all copper is going to tarnish, but when it corrodes or turns green is when things are going bad and electrical failures will crop up. Water .... especially salt water .... will make short work of your electrical continuity.

Ok! So what's the solution?

Tin coated copper wire with soldered on connectors would take care of the majority of these problems. Heavy duty, ugly military type switches that most two year olds couldn't actuate would solve others.

Some boat manufacturers like Don Smith have went the extra mile and use all tined wire an solder all the connections. That along with true waterproof plugs and heavy duty waterproof military switches, it is a rarity that there are ever any pain in the ass electrical problems.

If you are doing the work yourself then go the extra mile and fis what made it a problem in the fist place!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
My '04 has had 3 out of 4 window regulators go out...that last window is still working at 60k miles, but i am afraid to roll it down! :D European makes just don't know how to make a reliable window mechanism!

·
Banned
299 Posts
Smuggler...

Was it your regulators or motors that took a dump?

If it was the regulators what do you attribute it to?

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Smuggler...

Was it your regulators or motors that took a dump?

If it was the regulators what do you attribute it to?
I believe that it was the regulators...that was what was mentioned on the workorder...this was done under warranty.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
The DID make a reliable window mechanism until 2001... then they changed it for the worse... i think they finally REALLY fixed the problem in 08 didn't they?

To the original poster... did you check to see if the switch is getting proper power? Maybe a wiring diagram would help you figure out if there are any common wires or places to check for connection issues? Are there any other connections in the door that might need refreshing?

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
yeah, the 3 window regulators that got replaced are doing the job so far...no further issues with them. I had all 3 go out within 25k miles...and i am over 60k now. Knock on wood. Some stated that the updated regulators came in 2005 or so...not sure though.

·
Registered
1999 G500, 1997 G300, 1986 300GD, 1983 280GE
316 Posts
There is an updated regulator for both of the front doors of which I have replaced the driver's side so far. The rear door regulators are easy to replace, but also not cheap at $260. I've put in 1 of those with 10K miles (mine) on my '02, 68K total. Love the truck otherwise. I wouldn't go back to a 460 although I do have a preference for the hydrolic and mechanical lockers and transfer case lever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts