Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230K
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this:

eBay Motors: Mercedes Benz Carsoft 7.4 Compatible Diagnostic Tool (item 320253290345 end time Jun-16-08 02:56:51 PDT)

And it claims to be a multiplexer.

But when I do a full test I only get data on ME and FFZ/FBS. This is on the 38 pin. I assume I should get more like 8 responses based on what I've read here.

What version of CS do you guys use? Anyone have a known good copy? I found a copy on the web (7.4 SP1, around 75MB) and that is what I've been using. The ad says it would come with a CD but it did not. I'm not sure if it;'s a software or hardware issue but I'll play around more tonight.

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
The mux is different to mine. I have a much larger D connector to which the 38pin and now OBD II cable connects. There are also a couple of LEDs that indicate activity.
The advert definitely says the CarSoft CD is included so you should have received the same. Follow up with the vendor.
We use CarSoft 7.4 . The distribution is a 16MB or so RAR file, about same for ZIP. About 32MB when uncompressed.
A few simple things to check.
1. Ignition on Pos 2
2. Use a real COM port - seems you are
3. Selected correct COM port
4. Selected 38pin / not diesel
5. Try individual digital tests
6. 38 pin plug in all the way?

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230K
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mux is different to mine. I have a much larger D connector to which the 38pin and now OBD II cable connects. There are also a couple of LEDs that indicate activity.
The advert definitely says the CarSoft CD is included so you should have received the same. Follow up with the vendor.
We use CarSoft 7.4 . The distribution is a 16MB or so RAR file, about same for ZIP. About 32MB when uncompressed.
A few simple things to check.
1. Ignition on Pos 2
2. Use a real COM port - seems you are
3. Selected correct COM port
4. Selected 38pin / not diesel
5. Try individual digital tests
6. 38 pin plug in all the way?

Out of curiosity, which MUX do you have? Blue aluminum?

Anyone willing to send me their known good Carsoft installation file? You can use Yousendit.com for free for files under 100MB. Of course I'm assuming you all have high speed internet.....

I have tried both POS2 (engine off) and while the engine is running. I've tried everything you listed, the last thing to try is the OBD2 port instead of the 38 pin. Perhaps I should have bought a different unit, I'll contact the vendor and see what they say.

Thanks,

Avery

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG 1997 SLK230 & 1978 280CE
377 Posts
After checking the eBay link, I am certain that you have bought the plain (non multiplexer) interface.......

Sounds like your version of Carsoft 7.4 is working correctly for the plain interface...

I posted details of how to access the other systems in the (large..now 27 pages) Carsoft thread using a paperclip and the 38pin connector......

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1270869-38-pin-carsoft-7-4-a-26.html

I use the same plain interface that you have bought....but use an electronic switch to select different pins......

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1270869-38-pin-carsoft-7-4-a-25.html

Good luck

David

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230K
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After checking the eBay link, I am certain that you have bought the plain (non multiplexer) interface.......

Sounds like your version of Carsoft 7.4 is working correctly for the plain interface...

I posted details of how to access the other systems in the (large..now 27 pages) Carsoft thread using a paperclip and the 38pin connector......

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1270869-38-pin-carsoft-7-4-a-26.html

I use the same plain interface that you have bought....but use an electronic switch to select different pins......

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1270869-38-pin-carsoft-7-4-a-25.html

Good luck

David
Thanks for the info! That's all I need to know.:mad: Looks like I need to build something to select the correct pin now. Whoohoo!

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230K
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bazzle, I haven't decided what route to go. The seller says multiplexer in their ad so I'm going to see what they say about returning it. Oh well, live and learn. I really want the multiplexer but I guess I could do it the hard way :)

Avery

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Out of curiosity, which MUX do you have? Blue aluminum?

Anyone willing to send me their known good Carsoft installation file? You can use Yousendit.com for free for files under 100MB. Of course I'm assuming you all have high speed internet.....

I have tried both POS2 (engine off) and while the engine is running. I've tried everything you listed, the last thing to try is the OBD2 port instead of the 38 pin. Perhaps I should have bought a different unit, I'll contact the vendor and see what they say.

Thanks,

Avery
Blue mux, that is, blue plastic on the ends of an aluminium extruded box.
David is probably right, you don't have the multiplexor.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230K
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is REAL EASY to swap the lead over a few times.

Bazzle
Yeah, but I really wanted to be able to just tell it to scan all systems, go have a drink and have it be done. Actually, I want to set up a computer in the garage that I can remotely control from inside so I can do it all from my desk....:D The seller has agreed to let me return it, I'm just out shipping charges.

Avery

·
Registered
2004 E320, 2004 C230 kompressor, 2003 350 ML
37 Posts
CARSOFT 7.4

I HAVE 2004 E320 WHICH ONE WOULD WORK BEST FOR ME THE PLAIN OR THE MULTIPLEXER OR EITHER ONE

Good luck

David

·
Registered
Australia, 99SLK230 R170, 2001SLK32
1,379 Posts
wow - this was dug up from the past.
Check out the sticky before engaging.
All 50+ pages of it....;>)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts