Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the transmission I have is not original to the car is supposedly a rebuilt unit with less than 1000 miles on it, but my bullsh*t alert went off when A) I noticed that 1st gear whines like it's straight cut, and 3rd makes a fluttering whistle sound when decelerating from 25 down (otherwise it's just a quiet whine). B) When accelerating WOT from a stop, 1st does not upshift at 4500, and will actually bounce off of the rev limiter several times before managing to upshift with a violent jerk that feels like you've been rear-ended (to 3rd, I noticed, after bringing my foot off of the throttle to stop the rev limiter bucking). C)The transmission does not kickdown. So unless you activate the switch at the bottom of the throttle or pull the shifter down manually, you could (unsuccessfully) attempt to climb a hill in 4th. And finally, D) when cold, the transmission won't upshift. You can feel a little bit of bucking or pulsing like it wants to shift up, but it seems like it has to rely on the governor to force shift it.
The fluid (which I checked on my 2nd day of ownership and it turned out to be 1.5 qts low) is a nice bright pink/cherry red, and doesn't smell burnt. It doesn't slip at all, just has several issues.
I think it's FUBAR. The entire cost of the car was less than a transmission, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I have to replace it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i have bought a mb 300 sd for dirt cheap because the hare brain didnt refill the tranny fluid at all,
it was slipping in all gear, i checked the dip stick it has very little atf if any at all.
Soon as I paid for it and drove 10 blocks away I start to put atf in it and it ran like a swiss clock, no issues ever after.
kind of funny this kid had owned the car for 5 yrs. He said I can have the car for 5 bills ( 100 ) thats when my eyes light up he was asking a grand for her. I thought in the worse scenario I can get 1k for the engine alone plus the rest of the body parts.
lo & behold I drove her home 400 miles without any issues, except the wheels were not balanced so kept her around 60 mph.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts