Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when putting air in the tires today, the back drivers side wheel was pretty hot. that means the caliper is sticking doesnt it?

about 2 weeks after i bought the car i had to change the brakes because that wheel had a pad completly worn away. so 2+2= new caliper added to the shopping list.

boy, this car is getting expensive! fuel sender, caliper, all new pads, all fluids changed, fuel tank cleaned, new speakers, alternator.

those dont even address the cosmetic issues!

i guess its only like 200 bux worth of parts, but damn i feel like im always gonna be under the thing!

G

·
0 Posts
iNeon - 4/8/2005 3:25 PM

when putting air in the tires today, the back drivers side wheel was pretty hot. that means the caliper is sticking doesnt it?
Yes, rebuilt time.

iNeon - 4/8/2005 3:25 PMboy, this car is getting expensive! fuel sender, caliper, all new pads, all fluids changed, fuel tank cleaned, new speakers, alternator.i guess its only like 200 bux worth of parts,
I guess it's better than a $300 monthly
car payment.

but damn i feel like im always gonna be under the thing!
Some consider this time therapy and
some consider it a pain in the you know what.

I, myself like the time I spend cursing at
those German engineers for over complicating
things and making my life difficult.
It feels good to vent your anger.
But it also calms my nerves when I finally
fix that pesky problem and my baby drives
like a $300 a month new car again.
But for a lot less.

Louis.

A

·
0 Posts
dont need to replace them...just clean the hell out of the assembly, TURN the cylinders of the caliper to get them inwards all the way(tool costs 5 bucks at autozone), hit the pedal gently a few times to pop them out again a ways (not all the way), and turn them in again. this "scrapes" the rust and crap out of the cylinders path. put the pads in, pressure bleed it like mad a while, till clear fluid comes out, and u see no more chunks of crap. u just saved urself a TON of money, at the cost of a 5 dollar tool, and 8 millimeter ringwrench, a small hammer, a spare nail, some clear tube from the hardware store, and a BIG bottle of Prestone Synthetic Brake Fluid.

easy huh?

A

·
0 Posts
Lou's W123 - 4/6/2005 9:11 PM

Yes, rebuilt time.

iNeon - 4/8/2005 3:25 PMboy, this car is getting expensive! fuel sender, caliper, all new pads, all fluids changed, fuel tank cleaned, new speakers, alternator.i guess its only like 200 bux worth of parts,
I guess it's better than a $300 monthly
car payment.

but damn i feel like im always gonna be under the thing!
Some consider this time therapy and
some consider it a pain in the you know what.

I, myself like the time I spend cursing at
those German engineers for over complicating
things and making my life difficult.
It feels good to vent your anger.
But it also calms my nerves when I finally
fix that pesky problem and my baby drives
like a $300 a month new car again.
But for a lot less.

Louis.
sorry i have to be an ass and disagree, but this is one of the simplest cars to work on ever!!! designed by mechanics, for mechanics. i love her, she so easy!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im going to service them first to see if i can save any money

but damn, finals are coming up and then summer(ie: speedreading and cramming from the beginning) classes too, i dont know when i'll be able to get at it!

it, again(what else is going to go wrong with the car from sitting?) is from lack of maintenence and/or sitting a while. the brake fluid is brown and im going to flush that out good while im at it, maybe add a new rotor on that side, as the caliper sticking caused the pad to completly wear away and in turn, carved up the rotor pretty badly[:(]

poor lil guy! but i bet this repair will do more to make him go faster and get better fuel mileage than the fuel screen did!

good thing: dad stole 3 cans of ether from work, so i dont have to buy parts cleaner=) i *heart* when he "borrows" things from work.

then again... maybe thats why the american steel industry is the way it is? hmm.. do you think any of his steel makes the cas in tuscaloosa? shall we convince him to buy one because of that? [;)]

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another issue added today--

the car seemed to be fighting with my foot. i dont think it was THAT windy out.

it was almost like the front brakes started dragging and it was accompanied by this all around sort of boomy sound and a vibration in the whole car.

the car has never acted like this before.

i guess its back to chryslerdom for a while while i bend over for the Mercedes-Benz gods satisfaction.[:(]

G

·
0 Posts
sorry i have to be an ass
Hey, a nice ass on the right person[:X]
can be very exciting.[:D][:eek:)]

Louis.

Ps: She might be easy[^] but her
motor mounts aren't.[}:)]

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
Lou's W123 - 4/7/2005 8:02 PM

sorry i have to be an ass
Hey, a nice ass on the right person[:X]
can be very exciting.[:D][:eek:)]

Louis.

Ps: She might be easy[^] but her
motor mounts aren't.[}:)]
Are we sure we're talkin' about a car here?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts