Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
1996 sl500
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a a new passenger side front hub my wheel still has play when when pulling on it from the top and bottom (no play side to side). It also makes a bit of noise when spinning, similar to the old hub before I replaced it, and will come to a stop faster than the drivers side wheel. I greased the spindle and bought an entire hub assembly that came pre greased rather than installing a new outer bearing in the old hub so doubt my issue is due to lack of grease. Perhaps I over tightened the U shaped bolt that screws onto the spindle (pic attached)? I tightened it by hand until it stopped then backed it off about 1/3 of a turn instead of using a dial indicator. I thought that would be fine but its the only cause I can think of. Any advise as to where I may have gone wrong is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,106 Posts
What brand wheel bearing did you use? Also you said the wheel comes to a stop before the driver side, are you sure it's not a warped brake rotor that's partially touching the brake pad as it is spinning, or maybe a frozen brake pad that's not completely going to the rest position?

1996 sl500
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What brand wheel bearing did you use? Also you said the wheel comes to a stop before the driver side, are you sure it's not a warped brake rotor that's partially touching the brake pad as it is spinning, or maybe a frozen brake pad that's not completely going to the rest position?
Its a Febi Bilstein hub assembly. The pads are not rubbing, it will spin for about 35 seconds if I give it a good spin while the other side will go for over a minute. I definitely hear a faint grinding noise while its spinning which im sure is the reason its stopping faster.

·
Registered
96 E320
151 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts