Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NWS

Well fellow Floridians, anyone taking any measures to protect the family jewel? I face north and that is where the wind will come from, at my location. So I parked the Dreadnaught to form a lee and intercept any missiles. The cover is lashed down for'ard midships and aft.

Surge and flooding is not an issue here with such a weak storm which will pass well to my east. That will change as it evolves and grows to encompass the rest of the state. Fresh water floding is never more than an annoyance on Key West since it runs off quickly. Things are different on the mainland, eh.

Track the storm with the above URL. Good luck!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,496 Posts
Good luck.........I'm expecting snow in about 90 days.

:)

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 2000 BMW Z3
392 Posts
Projections indicate Isaac May come ashore as a Cat 2 here in the Destin/Fort Walton Beach area, where I live. I've sent my wife out of town because of her health problems & cannot do with out air conditioning. A week or more without electricity is about the norm for post hurricane conditions here in the panhandle.

The 380 will stay in the garage and the Stingray will be chained to a telephone pole in the front yard.

Let 'er rip! God's urban renewal plan for the beach front owners

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chained to a phone pole, a wise precaution, I like it. My Ford put out to sea in Wilma '05, was salvage after that. It looks like I will be within 5 miles of the eye wall of whatever comes at 8 pm Sunday. Right now I'm going around like Carlton Fisk at Fenway Park waving that ball to the right! To the right!

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Well if it's any help all you fla. boys load up and ride out the storm up here in Jax. We can have a Hurricane party.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,324 Posts
Keep safe Weather Man. Looks like you are #1 on the hit list.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lost Power once already. Yes, the Keys are the point man the canary in the coal mine. It is highly asymmetric and anywhere west of the eye is the place to be. Latest progs keep me in the western quadrants by maybe 20 miles a razor-thin margin. That means 40 miles east of me, like Bahia Honda state park and Marathon, will get the maximum.

Sitting in my boarded up house...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 S350 SWB; 1991 300CE; MB diesel sprinter van; 1999 AMG-C43 (sold); 1978 450SLC (sold)
102 Posts
Up in West Palm it was just a long wind/rain even, still fizzling out for today. We did loose power a few times, a palm tree is down and my dock is underwater at the moment. The SLC sat right out in the front row and took it like a trooper, a few drops of water inside but not bad.
Todd

·
Registered
1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
7,563 Posts
So how did you "weather" it, "man"?
Sorry, bad pun. Hopefully you came through relatively unscathed?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Fortunately for Tampa (and possibly unfortunately for New Orleans), the storm swung to the west - we're getting periodic bands of heavy rain typical of a tropical storm, and winds have been light (no more than 30 knots). Late today and tomorrow we'll probably see some mild coastal flooding. Biggest threat now is isolated tornadoes in the rain bands.

I have 3 cars and a 2-car garage. Fortunately my neighbor has 2 cars and a 3-car garage. Christine is safely tucked away in the neighbor's spare bay. Our biggest problem is getting the wife's Town Car in our garage - it literally fits with 1/2 inch clearance when the front license plate kisses the back wall. The other big problem will be getting the SL back from my neighbor (he loves it).

We were expecting, and prepared for, worse - but I won't complain. I'd rather have the stuff and not need it than not have it, and need it.

Weather Man, I note your hurricane panels (are the polycarbonate, or aluminum?) The price we pay in Florida - my front panels go up at the beginning of the season, come down at the end; the rest stay up year round. They're polycarbonate and admit light, but they aren't transparent. The large sliding glass doors and the lanai overhang were a problem (we didn't want wind lifting the roof off) - so we went to aluminum accordion panels (tucked away in the pic). They cover all the sliding glass doors and enclose the space where wind could get under the roof and lift it. When not in use, they resemble columns. The front door has a motorized roll-down. And of course, the natural gas powered generator.

Of course, all the patio stuff is piled into the lanai at the moment. No biggie. It gives me an excuse to power wash the pool deck and screen room before putting it all back. :D:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
7,563 Posts
Nice looking pad, Skylaw!

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We never got over 60mph but there were gusts above that surely. As you can see only twigs and small branches came down, no big limbs.

The meteorology of this thing was complex but it is simplifying now that it is over open water. Most of the rest of Florida is getting rain bands today. That will end shortly and New Orleans' troubles will begin. I think I saw 9-11 feet surge possible. Extreme western Florida is going to get a lot of onshore flow as well.

So if you are in the Pensacola area button up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The panels are standard aluminum. Each time I put them up I wish I had gotten a couple of plexiglass ones. I had one set of bi-folds installed on my balcony which otherwise I would be paneled out. Their cost equalled the cost of all the others combined. They sure are nice though, 5 minutes and you are sealed AND you can open them a little if you need to.

Last October I got a set of panels for my front door. I could never evacuate while employed but now I can, if it gets serious. That little $250 installation completed my protective mitigation and netted me a 30% discount on my Citizen's insurance, over $800 savings. :)

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Nice looking pad, Skylaw!
Thanks, bandit - Not really trying to show off the house, just pics of the hurricane prep one goes through here (if one is smart). Figured we could do without a photo of the 150mph wind resistant garage door.

It's a good thing you have Citizen's, Weather Man. Tough to get insurance at all in some places. I haven't applied for any discount because our garage door had to be mounted in a nonstandard way in order to get the wife's car in the garage at all. It is actually a stronger mounting than code - it isn't screwed into wood bucks, but is bolted directly to the concrete with "L" bolts - an inspector would reject it as being "not as tested."

It's a shame - and in addition to the other improvements, we had our attic braced further. We met post-Andrew code when we bought the house, but we have brought it up to post-Charley standards.

I have a friend in Jacksonville who once lived in Tampa; she cautions that during heavy storms (like Debbie - 3 days of very heavy rains), water can be forced up through the floors, so roll up your carpets, she advised. Fortunately we bought on highest ground in the county (the county's shelters are all nearby) - but she lived much closer to Tampa Bay, at a lower elevation, and I understand that kind of thing can be a real problem.

I had also been advised that hydrostatic pressure could pop an empty swimming pool right out of the ground - so you don't drain them ahead of a major storm. Maybe she is right about water percolating up through floors. We haven't had that, and hope we never do.

·
Registered
'99 SL500, '65 Corvette rdstr, '10 Volvo S80, '11 Chev Silverado
763 Posts
We're kind of fortunate that we left Florida three weeks ago for an extended drive & vacation in Canada. My golf community in Bonita Springs had 2.25" of rain and some high winds, but no damage. We got off lucky this time and hope the eventual landfall areas are spared any heartbreak as well. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts