Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Mine's real wood, it says zebrano if i look up the details for my particular VIN.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
It is real... always has been and it is burled walnut

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
yeah, my thoughts exactly, it's no lexus.

My friends dad got a BRAND NEW ES350 and he's like "ITS REAL WOOD, LEXUS WOULDN'T USE FAKE WOOD".... ohhh gosh you can TELL just from touching it that it's PLASTIC ... but he refuses to think it's fake LOL

·
Registered
161 Posts
I do not consider the veneer they use real wood. It is still a cheap thina** sheet of wood formed over plastic. It is not like the old mercedes where they pretty much whittled a piece of wood from a tree & glued it onto the dash.

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
'99 ML430 all plastic wood look alike.
'95 E320 REAL wood.
I guess it depends on the year...

·
Registered
1997 C230 117K miles
11 Posts
Real!

My '97 C230 has real walnut veneer.

If you look at the wood under a jeweler's loup, fake wood will have small dots.

I had to take apart my ashtray and console, and was able to get a good look at the wood door. Somebody used too much force, and actually split the wood. Y

You can see on the edge that there are many layers glued together (plywood). Just because they use veneers doesn't mean it's cheap. The finest furniture is made of walnut veneer rather than solid. Walnut burl is almost ALWAYS a veneer no matter where it's found. Another advantage to veneers/plywood is that you can bend the wood into more creative shapes.

If you look really closely, you will see small vertical lines where there is a seam between veneers. The wood does have a plastic look - but this is because there IS a layer of clear plastic (about the thickness of one sheet of veneer) over the top. This gives the wood a glossy, durable finish.

Is yours real? I dunno. Look for the dots.

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
Am not aware of MB ever using "fake wood". It is one of the truest things you can say about the car line. As you'll notice, the more expensive the model the more you'll find. As late as around '80 the cheapest diesel model brought to the US would be devoid of wood. Not many years ago, the less expensive cars got zebrano, a straight-line grain wood, the more expensive got burl walnut. I think they're all burl now. Also, the reason behind thin laminate layers over plastic or aluminum is to keep it from splintering and/or being dangerous in the event of a crash. Also, it's a whole lot easier to curve the wood such as the single piece running across the width of your 202 dash.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,839 Posts
Sergio said:
'99 ML430 all plastic wood look alike.
'95 E320 REAL wood.
I guess it depends on the year...
That's funny my 1998 ML 320 has real wood in the center consol. I know I had it apart one time. The only fake wood is the inserts on the door handles.

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
rudedude said:
That's funny my 1998 ML 320 has real wood in the center consol. I know I had it apart one time. The only fake wood is the inserts on the door handles.
You may be right. I didn't think much about the center console but the door handles are definitively plastic.

Sergio

·
Registered
'98 C220
57 Posts
To proof it's real wood i can show you this picture of my interior, the wood is broken on the right side so you can see it's real :)

·
Registered
'98 C220
57 Posts
n0alpha said:
What picture?
Hmm, it seems like I was a bit tired when I posted, so i forgot to add the picture :D

Here it is. You can see the wood in the top right corner.

·
Registered
1995 C220
11 Posts
I had a 280 SE 4.5. The dash was solid walnut. The cover for the glove box was one piece of walnut with recesses for the handgrip, lock and hinges. The trim around the windows was all walnut.

My C220 has zebrano veneer on the dash, console and doors. Not like the old SE, but better than almost everything else I see today.

What a great car.

·
Registered
94 E320, 02 E320 WAGON, 95 C220, 02 E320, 04 E55 AMG
18 Posts
real wood!!!

Benz has always used “real wood” it is a thin veneer on a sub straight (layers of other woods) and also sometimes attached to a sheet of aluminum. The “zebrano” is “Zebra Wood”, the other wood I’ve see is “Walnut” Burl figured. It is stained lightly and on some sport lines it stained ebony. The “plastic” look is many layers of high gloss lacquer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.