Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
in Europe we can order the "Infrared reflecting and laminated glass for the two front side screens and the windshield" only in combination with the "tinted glass for the rear and the fond side screens".
The describtion does not say "laminated" for the fond or rear screens. As it is much more difficult to break into a car having laminated glass all over I would like to have this as well for the tinted screens.

So is tinted glass laminated like the windshield ?
Would appreciate your help.

Many thanks
steinmi

·
Registered
166 Posts
No; rears are normal glass tinted.

They do that to reduce costs; I would love a all laminated glass since it's a big difference (see it in cayenne and touareg).

I would also love a solar powered air recirculation option.

Best Regards.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
rubensans - 5/9/2005 1:07 PM

No; rears are normal glass tinted.

They do that to reduce costs; I would love a all laminated glass since it's a big difference (see it in cayenne and touareg).

I would also love a solar powered air recirculation option.

Best Regards.
Well, it's not "normal" annealed glass, it's tempered. Tempered glass is harder to break than laminated, but when it does it explodes into small pieces. Laminated has a plastic interlayer that holds it together when broken.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
And same supplier as W163. Their tradename for the laminated glass is "LAMISAFE" and it should say that in the lower corner somewhere. The tempered glass should say "TEMPERLITE". Wonder if the sunroof is laminated now? Haven't checked it yet.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Some pictures from my W163.

1. laminated windshield-- "This laminated glass consists of two layers of annealed glass bonded together by a tough, pliable and invisible layer of polyvinylbutyral (PVB)."

2. tempered driver door-- "This tempered glass is created by heating annealed float glass to near melting point, rapidly cooling its surface and allowing the inner core to cool naturally. Tempered glass is at least five times stronger than ordinary flat glass resisting impact, shock, thermal and mechanical stress. It also can flex more without breaking."

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts