Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1989 W126.024 (300SE)
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 W126 300SE with a 134a system that needs freon. For the last couple of years I just had the shop that changed my oil put in a can for me (it has leaked a can a year for the last five years and isn't really worth replacing the leaking part for that cost). But I've since moved and have started changing my own oil. Problem is, I have no idea where I'm suppose to add this can of freon that I just picked up at the local auto parts store. I’ve included a picture as to where I think that it is (and have removed the black cap in hopes that it shows up better in the picture). The location seems to be very inconvenient and I’m not sure that the hose end will even attach in that confined of a space. So could someone please give me a ya or nay as to whether or not this actually is the place that I need to fill the cooling system or let me know where it is?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,631 Posts
Check the 'Welcome...' announcement / tutorial sticky on top on how to run a forum search.
The archive has multiple threads on the topic.

·
Registered
1989 W126.024 (300SE)
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the 'Welcome...' announcement / tutorial sticky on top on how to run a forum search.
The archive has multiple threads on the topic.
I can't really tell from the descriptions in the threads that I found - that's why I posted the picture and asked for clarification.

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,020 Posts
Charlie (chadahar) just did this job a few days ago on Sylvia, his 560SEL with success. He can point you in the right direction.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,631 Posts
I can't really tell from the descriptions in the threads that I found - that's why I posted the picture and asked for clarification.
The service manual pdf are there as well. The search function is cumbersome, you need 2 - 3 words of more than 3 letters. It's explained in detail in the tutorial sticky.

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
That connection near the sight gauge is NOT to side you load.
The one you want is closer to the false firewall. Mine had a blue cap on it. It is on the line going into the firewall. Your fitting will not fit the fitting near the sight glass. My caps are Red for the fitting near the sight glass and Blue for the fitting on the line going into the firewall.

If you post a picture of the drivers side engine compartment I can show you where it is.

I hope you got the stuff with the re-usable gauge and line. Read the instructions on the can and follow them.
It was easier than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
1989 W126.024 (300SE)
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That connection near the sight gauge is NOT to side you load.
The one you want is closer to the false firewall. Mine had a blue cap on it. It is on the line going into the firewall. Your fitting will not fit the fitting near the sight glass. My caps are Red for the fitting near the sight glass and Blue for the fitting on the line going into the firewall.

If you post a picture of the drivers side engine compartment I can show you where it is.

I hope you got the stuff with the re-usable gauge and line. Read the instructions on the can and follow them.
It was easier than I thought it would be.
There is the one heading into the false firewall, right above the strut housing, but it doesn't seem to fit the end on the recharge kit that I bought. Plus, I always thought that these things were much lower (physically) on the car than this. Good grief, how did I manage to turn something this simple into this level of cluster [email protected]#$?

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 W126.024 (300SE)
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success!!!

I was driving buy a foreign auto repair place and decided to stop and see if they could give me some quick (read: free) advice.

It turns out that when I had by R12 to 134a conversion done, they did not replace the nipple connectors to the new standard. One small adapter for $2.54 at the local auto parts store, and I was able to hook it up to the hose heading into the false firewall that is in my last picture.

I now have cool AC, the tools and knowledge to do it again.

Thank you everyone for your help.

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
Your Avatar looks cool enough!
Anyway, thanks for reporting back. This might help someone who uses the searchfunction in the future.

gr J

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
When you said Black cap I wondered if the valves were changed out.
Glad you got it done.
See easy as pie when you finally figured it out. Mine is blowing so cool that I have to turn it way way down almost off on the mildly hot days(only been two since I did mine), but summer is coming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts