Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1992 190e 2.6, 1995 e320 Wagon
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to seal a deal on a really great 2.6 1992 from California. The car has zero rust, nothing looks like it's leaking, the coolant is clear (ie, no oil floating on it), the engine oil is low however and the oil cap looks like this:

Is that what they mean by 'milky oil'? Is this really bad?

The cap has not been removed since the last oil change and it's overdue for one, the guy drove it here (toronto canada) from San Diego on one oil change. It's low on oil so I'm sure it's burning some but overall .. not bad. Drives awesome, shifts good .. 178k MILES. Really nice all around otherwise.
I'm getting it for 1500 (CND of course) safetied and e-tested which around here is a good deal. It's got new breaks all around and new tires (well, San Diego to Toronto new) with receipts etc. $1400 in tires and brake work.
He is going back to California .. his story checks out pretty good too.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
your fine. THIS is what people mean by a milky oil cap

VWVortex.com - what is this? milky substance around oil cap

does it overheat at all? try to take it on as long of a test drive as possible, keep an eye on the temp... check for smell of burning coolant, smoke out of tail pipe (which yes, i know thats hard to keep an eye out for when its cold)

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,234 Posts
All I see is "Made in Germany":1poke:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here you go boys

I bought it for the interior. Everything works, even the sunroof!
Oh, the AC doesn't work and the doors only unlock via the trunk :D

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,234 Posts
This is a good reason why your ac does work : "Too COLD in California":big laugh: Car's looking good , view of neighborhood reminds me in Edmonton-AB.Congrat

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Good deal! Just needs a good interior and exterior detailing and it will look new again.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it's pretty messy inside but everything's in good shape. There's a six CD changer in the trunk :)
I'm still impressed that the sunroof works. I hope it continues to work. Every benz of this vintage I've looked at had problematic sunroofs. This'll be my first car :D
(I've driven many and owned many motorcycles .. did a cross country by bike but just never owned a car, never needed one, still don't, just want one)

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,485 Posts
Congratulations.
That's definitely not in SoCal. Brrr

·
Registered
98 SLK230K AMG, 98 E55T, 89 2.5-16
213 Posts
aiyee! its looking really nice! one question though - what is that big "bulge" just under the steering wheel? my current and previous 190E does not have that..

cheers!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Is it bad?!!!
lol

I don't know what that is. I haven't really spent very much time with the car yet. Did the whole ownership transfer, plates and all this morning and drove around downtown a bit. Really does drive nicely.

I just love that hood ornament

Oh, and maybe I should start a new thread but I'll pose the question here first:

Where do I start with DIY wrenching?
I want to replace all filters, spark plugs, distributor etc.
I heard a clunk coming from the differential (I think) while driving today (during a couple of shifts). I want to change the trans fluid and the diff fluid (there's fluid in there, right?) as well. Probably the coolant too.
Where do I start and are there any good articles on these topics related to the 201?
I'm gonna get some fresh 10w-40 in there today too. I'm sure there are threads on this and I will search them but yeah, synthetic or no?
Aaaaaand .. where do you all order your parts form? (I will search! I will I promise). I will point out however that this stuff isn't covered in the FAQs :) I would be glad to compile the info into one thread if anyone cares.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
aiyee! its looking really nice! one question though - what is that big "bulge" just under the steering wheel? my current and previous 190E does not have that..

cheers!
Think it's just a knee bolster that came with late models.

There is a list of fluids in the faq that should help you decide what to get.

I usually order my parts on ebayfor bigger things, or other websites like rockauto, mercedessource, or autohausaz. They have good prices, alot better than the dealer.

The differential has fluid that you should change. 85w-90 gear oil I believe. There are instructions in the online manual on how to do this.
Make sure that you remove the fill plug before the drain, or you could havve problems! Need a 14mm hex driver insert for this.

Synthetic engine oil is good. Try and see if you can get a high milage synthetic oil like mobile 1 sells.

The hood ornament is one of my favorite parts too :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts