Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 C350. I recently took the car in the dealership because of a knocking, sputtering sound that I hear on the rear right hand side of the car. Its pretty loud. According to the dealer he said mine isn't that loud. He told me it was the Emissions control unit under the hood on the driver left hand side. The unit that has the two plastic tubes. I guess the unit pumps air to the carbon canister. Anyways, why is this so loud on a Mercedes, I have never heard this before on any other car I've owned?

its a loud sputtering noise, kind of "put" put", sput, sput

Thanks

mh

·
Registered
9 Posts
OMG i was just on here to see if i can see if anyone else has this problem!!! I have an 07 c230 and the noise is right where you said it ! when i am inside especially when i am idle, i can hear it ! Gosh i hate that noise ! No way that is normal ! hopefully we kind find a solution to our problem but i know we have the same problem ! Its irritating isn't it?

·
W203, W210 Moderator
6,905 Posts
I have a 2007 C350. I recently took the car in the dealership because of a knocking, sputtering sound that I hear on the rear right hand side of the car. Its pretty loud. According to the dealer he said mine isn't that loud. He told me it was the Emissions control unit under the hood on the driver left hand side. The unit that has the two plastic tubes. I guess the unit pumps air to the carbon canister. Anyways, why is this so loud on a Mercedes, I have never heard this before on any other car I've owned?

Thanks

mh
I don't think thats normal have it check again and it should be covered under warranty.

Btw This is AMG Section....... off you go to your Section.

JOE55

·
Registered
29 Posts
All M272 engines have this strange sound in idle, it resembles that of a diesel engine. It's more readily noticeable with windows up and no radio. However, I am surprised the sound in your car comes from the rear because it comes from the engine compartment in my 2 M272 cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, its very annoying. The dealer said it was normal, I just don't know if I can trust them, because he looked at his boss and almost suggested they try to put a new part in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply. Sorry I'm new to this board, which is my section? these w204 , w203 numbers are confusing. TIA

·
Registered
137 Posts
The third day I owned the car I was at the dealer and thought it might be the blower fan wobbling or something - then it turned out to be the motor itself. I thought it sounded odd - almost like a small outboard motor for a boat. It's not that loud on mine, but noticeably distinctive, unlike any I have heard so it's difficult to not think "evinrude" when I am stopped at a light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My C 300 has the same noise with the engine that it idles quite rough with the "sputtering" noise. Also, when the car is traveling between 70km/h (45mph) and 90km/h(55mph), the engine sputteres too and it sounds like the noise is coming from the quad exhaust?? My previous C 240 with the M112 engine sounds a lot smoother.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Thanks

mh
If the discription from te dealer is right (noise from carbon canister/shut of valve), there is a noise damper that can be installed on the line from the canister.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all, im from brazil and own a w204 c200 kompressor, 1.8....it has the same noise as you say in a post, something like a "tec-tec" when the engine is after 30 minutes in use...this noise still playing for 3-4 minutes and stops, and restarts...if i open the engine, there´s any sound...the tec-tec its only inside the car...have you solve your problem????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys

I never resolved the noise problem. It's the egr purge valve on the driver side of the car. I don't really care anymore.

Mh

·
Registered
2 Posts
GAME OVER!

Staff, to make this next one year I raised this question of noise nuisance.

Now, fortunately, I bring you the solution of the problem!

The factory has sent technicians from Germany, along with technicians from Brazil.

My question, along with colleagues from this forum (searching for the solution before the Brazilian manufactures), coupled with the indignation of other international forums, was one of the cornerstones of this result.

As I already said, the main problem was acoustic insulation, which is already very good on w204, but sinned in this aspect of the fuel hoses, perhaps for other reasons (risk of fire, heating, etc.).

As you can see, the noise source is the solenoid that is safe in the engine, behind the left headlight. This solenoid is connected to hoses that are stuck in the mud to-left on the inside, walk around vehicle down until you reach the tank, causing fuel vapor. She who makes the noise of helicopter, outboard, whatever. Because the hoses are rigid, absorb the vibration of the solenoid and transmit to the carrier, generating noise at various locations (fire wall, back seat, etc). With this good acoustic isolation, the problem is solved.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2134/dsc02501dr.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2632/dsc02506m.jpg

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4739/dsc02511d.jpg

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3825/dsc02519hp.jpg

Being very new, I suggest take the photos for the utility, require warranty service, and ask if there was already a recommendation of the factory, because we are dealing with the feeding system of the vehicle, high risk.

And do not try this at home!

PS: Congratulations to Mercedes-Benz, by being humble enough to always be improving their products, however good they are.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
10 Posts
ive got the exact same problem HATE IT SO MUCH!! im jus wondfeering if i can remove the canister completely..

if not wat sort of insulation do u suggest? ne help is apprecited :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts