Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 SL 500
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please watch my video.
I think this is not the usual "Instrument Cluster Flashing" error.
These are the things I have done already.
1. I checked and changed the fuses.
2. Checked the OVP (My 93 SL doesnt have one) -> OVP is integrated inside the Base Module. Bas module has 4x 10Amp Blade Fuses - all of them are good.
3. Bought a different Instrument Cluster.
Error is the same with the newly bought cluster. (There is the possiblity that someone has sold me a bad instruments cluster but strange to be honest that it produces the same symptoms with it.)

4. Where should I look for next ?

Here is a short vid about the cluster
As you see firstly I go for ignition position 2. and not all the lamps are lid and also the fuel guage needle does not go to its place. Second, after hitting the indicator switch it does not shows on the cluster although it makes sound.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
1,009 Posts
Did the fuel gauge have the same systems as in the old cluster as the gauge should move to the right with key on in position 2?. First, make sure the rear 2 large round plugs have a good connection, perhaps trying to push them in further with a wiggle and do the same with the 2 rectangular plugs. In key position 2 all the lights should go on (minus high beam indicator) however the SRS light icon should go on then immediately go off. I just when thought this after replacing my analog cluster with a used analog cluster, as one of the signal lights were on (making noise) but no light. Either bulbs are missing or blown all along the horizontal board and bulbs in the middle of the cluster, you need to check those as those should be lite in position 2. There are 4 other different wattage bulbs in the cluster that light the large gauges but there are screws to open the back of the cluster to access them. Also, hard to see in video, but you should have an ASR indicator. Check all and post your results.

·
Registered
1993 SL 500
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear @carltwo
thanks for the response.
I can see all my gauges working sometimse for about a 5minutes and then everything starts flashing for 5-8 flash and then everything goes off. So I dont think this is something to do with the bulbs in the cluster because when everything is flashing I see them working.
Anyway it is just hard to believe that both instuments clusters hava the same symptoms. So I am thinking its maybe related to something else..... I will send off one of the clusters for repair next week. That is why I started this thread, if any other thing can be, I would be open to hear from it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Did you always have this problem as to when you purchased the car or has this just developed...

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
1,533 Posts
It is possible that both existing and used clusters have a similar problem as it could be a common fault such as leaking capacitors that affect older clusters.

I would start by seeing if the self diagnosis function works on each cluster works. Then you will get an idea of the state of their health. Let me know if you need help with this feature. I will dig out the process.

Secondly, the capacitors. Attached is a document that I squirrelled away some time ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just to be clear, You say exact symptoms, meaning:
1.Both instrument clusters show that the fuel gauge does not move when key is in position 2 ?.
2. All the horizontal line of light are on and off on the same indicators in your old cluster and on and off on the same indicators as well in your new used cluster?
If so just take a look at the female insertion pins in those 2 larger connector plugs to cluster coming from the harness. It may be worth the try. When I replaced the new used analog cluster in my car as I mention, I had to push one of the large plugs in harder and wriggle and while doing so, it made one of my signal lights that were out, to work. And like robm.UK mention, the faulty capacitors as they all evenly end up with the dash flash problems and most wrecking yard remove without completely testing. I know, I had to send one back.

·
Registered
1993 SL 500
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The most annoying thing in my case is that my indicators doesnt work. I dont care if my cluster does not show anything while im driving but if the indicators dont signalling thats more dangerous. I have to be more cautious what i do on the roads. Anyway thanks for the answers again, one of my clusters will leave on monday to the cluster repair shop, and I will have a result in 3weeks.

·
Registered
1993 SL 500
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In most of the flashing errors that I saw and the discription what you've just shared with me @robm.UK says the indicators should work even if the cluster is wrong so I have done a video about my relays and one is quite warm.

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
1,533 Posts
IIRC it’s probably normal for the relay to be slightly loose. You will see when you remove it that the socket sits loosely in the plastic chassis.

But if it’s getting warm? Well no harm in changing it.

·
Registered
1993 SL 500
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems its a window regulator(A0015427819) relay. So nothing to do with my cluster and indicator) issue. So Cluster goes to the repair shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts