Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML55 AMG - 2005 E55 AMG
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I ordered an idler pulley for my 2003 ML55 AMG, and I wanted a MB OEM part. I bought this off Ebay, and it stated OEM part.

I received the following (see pictures). Is this Mercedes OEM? I believe INA made idler pulleys for MB for earlier years, but they at least had the MB star on the actual part. This does not have any Mercedes logos on anything.

2nd part of my question. Does anyone know if this part will be just as good or better, if I decide to install it?

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I am trying to keep as much OEM as possible on this girl.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it looks and feels good, and price was decent. Does anyone know who makes the OEM, and if it should have been in MB box or with logo on it? I want to get back to the seller and ask for clarification, but would like to be informed before contacting him.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
If you want it in an MB box, you have to order it from a German MB dealer. And pay the MB dealer price.

If you want the genuine part but don't care about the box, any US dealer can get them. Visit them to save on shipping.

That one looks as good as a genuine one, which is just another wheel made of metal & plastic, in the same shape, that may or may not have a logo on it. It will do the same job just as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, sorta true. Just as irritated that I was sold an OEM part, which it is not. I was looking around, but unable to find torque number for the bolt on this pulley. Anyone?

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
35 NM. Its gonna be a pain in the as though, as they are usually LOC-Tited down, which i would advise to put on the bolt when you put on the new one. You dont want that baby to shake loose.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
35 NM. Its gonna be a pain in the as though, as they are usually LOC-Tited down, which i would advise to put on the bolt when you put on the new one. You dont want that baby to shake loose.
Thanks. Crap, I didn't think it was. Well, let the fun begin. :(

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Shouldnt be terrible. After 9 years im betting it wont be too tough. Just use a snipe over the ratchet.

The bolts for the hitch were supposedly "loc-tited" down from factory and the ones i took off a 01 last month wernt to bad. Use the blue Loc-Tite when you replace the bolt.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
Maybe it is OEM, which is not the same as genuine MB parts.

The bottom of this page explains it: Mercedes Benz Parts - Discount Mercedes Parts - Mercedes Auto Parts - Online Catalog - Free Shipping - RM European Auto Parts

For example, MB buys headlights from Hella. Back at the Hella factory, they have all the molds and equipment to make exactly the same headlights that they can sell through other retailers. They don't stamp it with an MB part number or logo, but it's virtually identical to the original part. MB can't stop them from doing this, because it's a free market. In this case, it can be advertised as "OEM" equipment, because it is.

Meanwhile at factories in China, someone has deconstructed the original part and reverse-engineered the molds to make headlights out of cheaper plastic. You can buy these on eBay and they might do the job, but they're not OEM. They might be advertised as "OEM fitment".

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
I recently posted this. It's 20 Nm.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe it is OEM, which is not the same as genuine MB parts.

The bottom of this page explains it: Mercedes Benz Parts - Discount Mercedes Parts - Mercedes Auto Parts - Online Catalog - Free Shipping - RM European Auto Parts

For example, MB buys headlights from Hella. Back at the Hella factory, they have all the molds and equipment to make exactly the same headlights that they can sell through other retailers. They don't stamp it with an MB part number or logo, but it's virtually identical to the original part. MB can't stop them from doing this, because it's a free market. In this case, it can be advertised as "OEM" equipment, because it is.

Meanwhile at factories in China, someone has deconstructed the original part and reverse-engineered the molds to make headlights out of cheaper plastic. You can buy these on eBay and they might do the job, but they're not OEM. They might be advertised as "OEM fitment".
I understand that, which is why I was wondering if anyone knows who the manufacturer actually is for the OEM pulley.

Well, this is what I bought.
MERCEDES-BENZ-MB Genuine OE Factory Original 0002020019 Idler Pulley | eBay

I still think it is mis-leading then.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
There are similar bolts in this area torqued to 35 Nm, but they're not the same.
Confirming for 113 engines:
Torque value idler pulley 113 engine.GIF

Oeshj, that WIS printout has all the correct torque values, but (obviously) none of them are for the idler pulley bolt. It was a tough WIS search to find it.

I can be solemn at funerals, but I'm seldom wrong. When I am, I'll admit it. ;)

·
Registered
2004 ML500,Sport; 2014 ML550; 2009 ACURA TSX
878 Posts
why take the risk. OEM part is only about $20. Parts failure while driving highway speed will cost into thousands. Do it once, do it right.
IMHO.
JM

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
If you wanted to you can take the original pulley and replace the bearing. That is where the money is or isn't is on these replacement parts. Too cheap and the bearing is going to have cheap seals or lower quality ball bearings etc. Thing is if you have a wrench and some threaded rod', sockets, and nuts ( or a vice and a socket) you can replace the bearing with something good ie OEM which should be Fafnir for the princely sum of about $4. If you can find a place the specializes in bearings that's best as they will have stock and will be able to tell you exactly the correct size and brand by the marks stamped on the race. I'm spoiled here as I can stop by a bearing place and do this. Has saved me tons of cash especially with things like a noisy alternator ($20 verses $300 for rebuilt). If not the same near you then $20 is not too bad.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
Did you read the part where they stated that "All MB listed products are OE or OE-like. Most times, the part is sourced from the original factory"?

By purchasing from eBay, you've saved yourself $6.14 and a trip to the dealer who would've happily sold you the real one.

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I read that after the fact, however it was embedded in a thumbnail pic, and the actual description they gave were the following:

"The part or sub-assembly you are purchasing is a Genuine OEM Factory Original part sold by an authorized Genuine OEM parts reseller. The part is not “like OEM”, it is the Genuine OEM part sold by the vehicle manufacturer."

Not sure how this can be mis-interpreted. Either way, it looks and feels good enough.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
You simply have to decide what you want more - to have Mercedes-Benz original parts fitted to your ML, or to save a dollar here and there.

The mere fact that you are discussing this dilemma means that you really want the former. Spend your hard-earned $$ on quality branded parts, enjoy the peace of mind, and enjoy driving your MB. :thumbsup:

Anyway, you are saving money by fitting it yourself, right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts