Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a good deal on a local head.... What do yo guys think??? Rest of the head is in good shape. (sure looks like a glow plug no?)

Attachments

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,408 Posts
(sure looks like a glow plug no?)
Noo, that's the pre-chamber you see sticking out into the combustion chamber. The glow plug sits inside the pre-chamber.

The head looks acceptable, although my monitor show some scoring along the bottom side of the picture. I'd get it to a machineshop and checked for flatness and cracks.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
It's hard to see how deep those pits run. The combustion chamber to the left looks as if something was banging around in there, creating dents in the head. What # head is this? I'd want to clean it up and pop the valves out before committing to the sale. How much are they asking?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant the damage, not the prechamber tit.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's hard to see how deep those pits run. The combustion chamber to the left looks as if something was banging around in there, creating dents in the head. What # head is this? I'd want to clean it up and pop the valves out before committing to the sale. How much are they asking?
$300. He said he would look at the casting, it is supposedly from a 91 300SDL.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
It should at least be a #17, which is good. You may want to have those pits tig-welded up, and then have the head lightly skimmed. I'd still want to see what the valve seats look like, before committing.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've asked for the casting number and to see if they can look at the seats. Head is about 3 hours from me....

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
$300 is a great price for a head needing just light freshening up, but if it needs new or reground seats and valves, guides, plus welding, then it's probably a wash. If the seats have decent margins and the valves look good, you can do a cheapo job like this.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am guessing I will have little or no time to look at the valves / seats. Anything I am looking for other than pitting/scoring?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a rebuilt #20 for $1200.. Looks like its time to go talk to money bags (wife).

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
You should've bought my #22 when you had the chance

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rub it in... :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts