Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2000 500SL/1984 300SD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the confirmation since I just ordered the chestnut shifter from eckler's. :)

-Jeff

·
Registered
Red 1993 600SL & 1965 Mustang Convertible (Bench Seat)
115 Posts
Correct..... but it's Chestnut not a 731 Walnut Burlwood (see picture below).
Lynns---The Walnut Burlwood on some of our consoles is a darker shade than others. On our SL600 (which also has Burl on the Storage Compartment Bezel) we had a heck of a time finding something to match as the forward console had been replaced with a much darker piece. We finally found something that matched perfectly.

Now "The Carpet Matches the Drapes" to borrow a phrase normally used to describe something much different! (BTW we could still use a LH seat control switch surround in what you call #731 walnut burlwood) Regards---BAMeyer

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Got the new shifter today. Chestnut it is. Thanks everyone.
JeffreyD in my opinion it looks very nice but may I ask you a stupid question? How hot is the shift knob after you leave the car for a day in a parking lot under sunshine?
I'm asking because I've been thinking to do the same thing and I've been wondering this for some time.

Thanks in advance for your reply :).

Cheers.

·
Registered
2000 500SL/1984 300SD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good question because I noticed it right away. It's hot in Texas during the summer and the metal trim that comes up the sides of the knob gets hot. Not hot enough to burn you but enough to be a little uncomfortable if you like to rest your hand there when you're driving. Once the A/C cools the cabin I didn't really notice it anymore.

I hope this helps.
Jeff

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
is this burl wood?

i want to be 100% sure before i order a new centre console wood trim. i want it to match my door switches which i will not be replacing.

thanks all!

Attachments

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
is this burl wood?

i want to be 100% sure before i order a new centre console wood trim. i want it to match my door switches which i will not be replacing.

thanks all!
Yes it is Burl Wood. Look at post #6 above for a better understanding.

It's also important that you order the Console with the correct upper and lower switch pattern. And I think your going to want a separate p/n for a Burl Wood Slotted Gate to match the Console and an (anodized black?) Trim Piece between the Slotted Gate and the forward Console.

Not cheap $$$$

Note: this is a picture of Walnut Burl Wood.

Attachments

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
Yes it is Burl Wood. Look at post #6 above for a better understanding.

It's also important that you order the Console with the correct upper and lower switch pattern. And I think your going to want a separate p/n for a Burl Wood Slotted Gate to match the Console and an (anodized black?) Trim Piece between the Slotted Gate and the forward Console.

Not cheap $$$$

Note: this is a picture of Walnut Burl Wood.
what is this piece of anodized trim you are talking about?

and why do you have like a roller shade for your shifter? when did they start doing that? or did you add it?

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
what is this piece of anodized trim you are talking about?
It's the anodized black Trim Piece between the Slotted Gate and the Console. See the above picture. Your picture shows a flat black trim piece.

and why do you have like a roller shade for your shifter? when did they start doing that? or did you add it?
Your picture shows a 4 speed slotted gate and I show a 5 speed. I did not add the roller shade my car came with it.

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
It's the anodized black Trim Piece between the Slotted Gate and the Console. See the above picture. Your picture shows a flat black trim piece.
isn't that just a regular plastic piece? mine is just a plastic rectangular shape. not metal at all.

Your picture shows a 4 speed slotted gate and I show a 5 speed. I did not add the roller shade my car came with it.
ahh okay, must have been done on the 5 speed then. it is a great idea; i always thought it looked odd with no cover of some sort. i want it on my 4 speed:crybaby2:.

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
No, it is an anodized black.
do you happen to have the part number for that? i have the plastic # for it.

as well as the slotted gate, does it come in a wood finish for the 4 speed? i have never seen a wood finished one with the 4 speed.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts

as well as the slotted gate, does it come in a wood finish for the 4 speed? i have never seen a wood finished one with the 4 speed.
I think I kinda knew that we would end up going down this road. To be quite honest it takes a whole lot of Searching the EPC with the correct VIN to get the p/n's that your asking for and even if I gave them to you I wouldn't be quite sure that they would be right for your year car. I think the price of the anodized trim is going to shock you. Unlike the plastic at about $18.00 USD the anodized is about $188.00. Do you want to spend that kind of money? The slotted gates are particular for each car and the wood type (walnut/chestnut/stainless, etc). One has to really know what they want and that money is no issue. Once you get into these wood laminates it becomes very expensive and particular to the VIN.

I'm out of here.....enough said.

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts

Here is a RHD 4 speed wood one,I got it on ebay many years ago, quite lucky as I did'nt know at the time the 5 speed was not the same:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts