Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
ML320
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/232777.stm

This is not a news anymore, but still an interesting topic to bring up. If it is legal to buy guns in US, I'd assume it is legal to own this "blaster". After all, this device is purely defensive. Unlike guns, this device cannot be used as an assult weapon (I guess). So, why can't we have this great device here in US?

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Police say they cannot see any legal problems with the blaster - so long as the right people are blasted.

The "right people" in US brings racism to mind.
How much personal insurance do you carry?

·
Premium Member
Nice, Fast, Luxurious.
817 Posts
Great Device? I think not!

ML_captain said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/232777.stm

This is not a news anymore, but still an interesting topic to bring up. If it is legal to buy guns in US, I'd assume it is legal to own this "blaster". After all, this device is purely defensive. Unlike guns, this device cannot be used as an assult weapon (I guess). So, why can't we have this great device here in US?
Most of us over here would never approve of this barbaric device.

·
Registered
1997 E420
300 Posts
No manufacturer in his right mind would offer this product in the U.S. Shortly after its introduction, somebody's car would explode because of the fuel for this thing. That would be the end of the manufacturer.

I'm sure there are hillbilly versions of this thing rolling around the U.S. now.

The U.S. is not like South Africa (fortunately) where the chance of being the victim of a violent crime is much much higher. No offense intended to our South African friends, but we in the U.S. live in a civilized country where carjackings are relatively rare and are often the result of the driver being somewhere he shouldn't be.

I'm actually curious about how often these things are used and how effective they are. They make a good news story, but I've never seen any follow-up to find out if people actually use them and if they work.

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
amcnair said:
The U.S. is not like South Africa (fortunately) where the chance of being the victim of a violent crime is much much higher. .

Actually there is not too many countries, that beats US to violent crimes.
What's the difference between Africa and US?
In Africa a bushman can drive a car into the city, make a situation, or cost an accident and vanish in the bush with his car, before Police arrives.
That's why they need speed bumps there, so Police will have more time to catch up.
Now tell me we don't have speed bumps in US?

·
Registered
ML320
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same as most of you. When I read this news few years ago, I thought this invention was totally crazy. But, now, I think this is probably one of the best inventions ever.

To make a long story short, I almost got robbed few days ago. I was at the stop light. There was one car in front of me and one behind me. Yes, only 3 cars at the intersection. The guy behind me walked out the car and asked me to get out. At that time, I knew something was really wrong. I picked up the phone and dialed 911. Meanwhile the guy started to bang on the driver's side window. Thank god there was a police officer on patrol in the area. The police showed up almost as soon as I hung up the phone. The car in front of me drove off, but the police caught the guy who was banging on my window.

Anyhow, I'm still a bit freaked out after few days. This is the reason why the flame "blaster" came to my mind. If the police offer was not around, I don't know what would have happned to me.

·
Registered
1997 E420
300 Posts
Kajtek1 said:
Actually there is not too many countries, that beats US to violent crimes.
A common misconception, but not true. According to U.N. surveys, the U.S. is behind many industrialized countries in all types of crime and specifically in violent crime. There are many third world countries that have much higher levels of violent crime, but statistics aren't generally available.

Details available here:
http://www.unicri.it/wwd/analysis/icvs/pdf_files/key2000i/app4.pdf

·
Premium Member
Nice, Fast, Luxurious.
817 Posts
What if the criminal were to use it against a cop?

ML_captain said:
Same as most of you. When I read this news few years ago, I thought this invention was totally crazy. But, now, I think this is probably one of the best inventions ever.

Anyhow, I'm still a bit freaked out after few days. This is the reason why the flame "blaster" came to my mind. If the police offer was not around, I don't know what would have happned to me.
There are many reasons why I find the use of such device appalling.
First and foremost is the probability of its use against law enforcement officers by criminal elements.
Second is the possibility of accidental, unintentional triggering of the device which may cause severe injury to a loved one or costly property damage.
"Your cell phone was quite effective, wasn't it?"

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
amcnair said:
A common misconception, but not true. According to U.N. surveys, the U.S. is behind many industrialized countries in all types of crime and specifically in violent crime. There are many third world countries that have much higher levels of violent crime, but statistics aren't generally available.

Details available here:
http://www.unicri.it/wwd/analysis/icvs/pdf_files/key2000i/app4.pdf

We can discuss the interpretation of "many industrialized countries"
From the link in the year 2000 the average crime rate for all countries was 35.2, for USA -39.5

·
Registered
1997 E420
300 Posts
Kajtek1 said:
We can discuss the interpretation of "many industrialized countries"
From the link in the year 2000 the average crime rate for all countries was 35.2, for USA -39.5
Yes, like most statistics they are open to a lot of interpretation. I was actually looking at the table showing victimization rates for car owners since that's where we started the thread, but you are correct about the overall numbers.

I have a feeling this discussion is headed down a political path that probably isn't appropriate for this board, so I'll just leave it alone at this point.

It's good to see you checking the sources and not taking things at face value, though!

·
Registered
ML320
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to the 911 system and thumbs up for the police officer.

Mobile phone is certainly great, but it will be even better if I had the blaster to cook the criminals to "well done".

G

·
stupid idea

this flamethrower thing on the car is very stupid idea, car-jackers know to be aware of it...they can just aim a gun at u through the front windshield, not the side...presumable ur car isnt bulletproof, because if it war u wouldnt need the flames...it is much safer to carry bulletproof ur car and carry two berettas in your glove compartment, prefebaly in an s class,

·
Registered
2005 E320 cdi
180 Posts
ML Captain-you must have been in dallas instead of Houston if you had a patrolman show up that fast. I got rear ended by an illegal about 4 months ago-chased him when he ran while on the phone with 911 and my cell phone contacted Harris County instead of HPD. Needless to say it took three more calls and two hours to get HPD to meet me and take a report-which of course they never followed up. Was your attempted burgular one of our Katrina newcomers?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts