Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
2,355 Posts
Ditch the wheels, the sleepy-eye headlight brows, and then it would look pretty nice. I doubt it's got that much in the way of mods. Generally, that style of car doesn't have the power to match the looks--but who knows it might be a rocket.

Nice to see an E55 in a color for a change.

·
Registered
94 S500, 99 G320, 99 C280 Sport
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree on the sleepy headlight brows, and a nice set of true amg wheels would be cool.
I like the front bumper. It's listed as an E50, might have a little "get up an go"

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
E60 seller is dreaming. You can get a nice renntech tuned bi-turbo CL for less than that with lower mileage and it will destroy the E60 in every way. The seller states there is 500 hp to the rear wheels. No way is that engine producing 500 RWHP.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
E60 seller is dreaming. You can get a nice renntech tuned bi-turbo CL for less than that with lower mileage and it will destroy the E60 in every way. The seller states there is 500 hp to the rear wheels. No way is that engine producing 500 RWHP.
A CL600 with a tune is nothing special--everybody and their mother has one of those these days it seems. The E60 is special. Made during the time that RENNtech didn't merely churn out cars for the masses as they do today. Look up how many E60's they made--it's probably safe to say they're few and far between.

I think you're missing the point: just because the CL is faster, that doesn't mean it's more enjoyable to some of us. The CL and the E60 are of no comparison. You might as well compare a Civic to a Zonda. That's about as close.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
A CL600 with a tune is nothing special--everybody and their mother has one of those these days it seems. The E60 is special. Made during the time that RENNtech didn't merely churn out cars for the masses as they do today. Look up how many E60's they made--it's probably safe to say they're few and far between.

I think you're missing the point: just because the CL is faster, that doesn't mean it's more enjoyable to some of us. The CL and the E60 are of no comparison. You might as well compare a Civic to a Zonda. That's about as close.
The E60 looks like a modified E420 sport. How many E420's were made? Just because someone bores and strokes an engine does not make it special - just makes it modified. Typically, modified cars are not worth a whole lot more than their stock equivalent. The exceptions would be cars from Shelby, Lingenfelter, Callaway, ETC. I don't think Renntech is in the same league and the name doesn't carry the same weight.

Sure, the car is cool; in fact, very cool. However, it doesn't carry the worth of two or three E55's though. I like the Civic to Zonda comparison because they are trying to get Zonda money for a modified Civic.

·
Registered
1978 mercedes 300D "silver streak" 2000 Mercedes ML320 1994 W124 Mercedes e500
41 Posts
In stage one by Renntech it makes 418 HP and 440 torque and a 0-60 of only 5 seconds... Which is pretty damn quick, even by today's standards

It's slower than the CL, but it's a whole lot cooler and more rare

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Here is an article on an E60RS from Renntech. Based on the E420, bored engine, larger brakes, different springs, sport shocks, and thicker anti roll bars.

I am a Renntech fan so don't get me wrong but there is a limit on what makes sense for a given car. At the time, I spent $6K on the ECU/TCU tuning for my CL600 but I received 125+ HP in return. It was a $130k car when new. The E60, even with mods, didn't break $100k. Sorry, just don't see the performance to value ratio in the E60 when it concerns resale.

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/sites/default/files/articles/content/mbenth0309.pdf

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The E60 looks like a modified E420 sport. How many E420's were made? Just because someone bores and strokes an engine does not make it special - just makes it modified. Typically, modified cars are not worth a whole lot more than their stock equivalent. The exceptions would be cars from Shelby, Lingenfelter, Callaway, ETC. I don't think Renntech is in the same league and the name doesn't carry the same weight.

Sure, the car is cool; in fact, very cool. However, it doesn't carry the worth of two or three E55's though. I like the Civic to Zonda comparison because they are trying to get Zonda money for a modified Civic.
Written like a true Porsche owner.

The value of that car varies from you to me. I would pay his asking price, but clearly, you wouldn't. I am very fond of the old RENNtech (and AMG cars) during the 80s and 90s while they still retained some exclusivity.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Written like a true Porsche owner.

The value of that car varies from you to me. I would pay his asking price, but clearly, you wouldn't. I am very fond of the old RENNtech (and AMG cars) during the 80s and 90s while they still retained some exclusivity.
LOL at the Porsche comment. There is probably some truth in your statement.

Saying you would buy it means absolutely nothing unless you did buy the car for that amount. If you did, you would be the one in a five million buyer the seller is going after. There are just much better options in the price range. Just looking at Mercedes, I would take a used 2003+ E55K, CL600, or S600 with lower mileage, more power, and better safety features for less money than the tuner E420.

I agree that the old AMG's have value but I just don't see the kind of value the seller is asking for in a 15 year old mass produced E420 with a modifed engine, brakes, and suspension. I like Renntech products but their products are for consumption and not collection. Do I think their products are worth more than the run of the mill Mercedes? Yes, I do but I don't think they command a 300%+ premium over a standard E420 on the used car market.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
LOL at the Porsche comment. There is probably some truth in your statement.

Saying you would buy it means absolutely nothing unless you did buy the car for that amount. If you did, you would be the one in a five million buyer the seller is going after. There are just much better options in the price range. Just looking at Mercedes, I would take a used 2003+ E55K, CL600, or S600 with lower mileage, more power, and better safety features for less money than the tuner E420.

I agree that the old AMG's have value but I just don't see the kind of value the seller is asking for in a 15 year old mass produced E420 with a modifed engine, brakes, and suspension. I like Renntech products but their products are for consumption and not collection. Do I think their products are worth more than the run of the mill Mercedes? Yes, I do but I don't think they command a 300%+ premium over a standard E420 on the used car market.
:D A shot in a million that you'd get understand the humor behind what I said, and bingo! :thumbsup:

They are far more fun to use. I am not one of those people that buys cars to look at them. I buy them and use them hard, but I do care for them to the extreme (mechanically and cosmetically).

All this RENNtech talk is giving me the bug to go buy another... About the last thing I need right now.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
They're just a fender flare kit. Doesn't look like anybody sells them--you have to build them yourself. I haven't done a whole lot of research on it, but if you google around you may find some info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts