Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GL450
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let me start this off by saying I'm not a full fledged mechanic, but I know my way around a car pretty well. I have a quick question that may or may not be a dire situation, and need an answer on this before I possible ruin a perfectly good motor :)
Tonight I was making my monthly 250 mile trip for national guard drill. I checked my oil when I filled up- it was towards the bottom of the dipstick, so I stopped and picked up a quart of oil and topped it off (m1 o-40 syn.) It was a little better than 1/2 qt low. About an hour down the road my check oil at next fill p light came on- wth, I just topped it off.... So I pull in to the next service station and immediately smell oil and smoke is coming from the car... Awesome. It LOOKS like I didn't get the oil cap on straight- it was showing no oil on the stick... I cleaned up as much oil off the valve covers as I could and went in and got 4 quarts of penzoil dinosaur 5-20. Being that I was in the middle of Mississippi, 3 hours from any sort of mb service center- 10pm on a Friday night I knew it would get me to my hotel another 20 minutes down the road. My question is, the car is due a service c now, would it be a smart thing to drive it home with the mixed oils in it? Or should I just have MB roadside assistance tow it to Jackson and deal with it from there? It Shoukdnt cost anything to tow it to the dealer, but I'm here, and they don't open until Monday- and I'm not sure what the rental car situation is in this town lol.
I've been a ford guy my whole life. I've the the 450 for about a year, and this thing is still like a spaceship to me. If it were any of my other rigs I would drive it home and change the oil when I got home and not worry too much about it. But it's is a whole different thing. I can't just go find a cheap used gl450 motor on Craigslist. Ha..

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 GL450
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I should clarify a couple things. It's an 07 gl450. The smoke was coming from the oil dripping on the exhaust manifold, and blowing down the bottom of the car. The ol was concentrated on the passenger side valve cover, and pretty much everything was covered in oil on the right side of the engine. I wiped oil off at the service station, and added the penzoil. (obviously this gas station in bFe mississippi didnt carry anything synthetic, i was lucky they had anything better than the deep frier oil to put in there... Also I stopped at every decently lit gas station and rechecked the oil and re wiped off the valve cover. I can't see oil dripping or oozing or spraying etc from anywhere. Everything points to this dummy not getting both tabs in the fill neck when I put the cap back on.... Stupid, stupid thing to do I know.... I just need to know is the mixed oil going to f anything up if I drive it back home on Sunday and take it to mb for its service on Monday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
is it in limp mode? meaning it wont let u climb higher than 3 or 4000 rpms? if u have roadside assistance they will tow it to a mb dealership for free.

·
Registered
2016 AMG GLA45 Black, 2010 E500 Cabriolet - Tenorite gray/Black Interior, Distronic Plus
170 Posts
If you didn't run it dry, I doubt you'll have any issues with the oil you've put in it. As soon as you can get the oil and oil filter changed back to M1 0w40 and I doubt you'll ever see an issue.

·
Registered
2008 320cdi
49 Posts
Be very careful when putting the oil cap back on. It is easy to get it on crooked and you blow oil ALL over the engine bay. It happened to me and my dealer said he sees it all too often. My wife had the car on a golf trip and I had to go rescue her. It was dripping oil everywhere. The hotel even asked her to move it away from the lobby.

·
Registered
2007 GL450
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's exactly what happened. Like I said, I'm not a fool- it looked and felt like it was on, but aparently not haha. I talked to MB Saturday and at first they said take it and have it services with M1 0-40..... But Saturday afternoon in the middle of Mississippi??? C'mon that's not an option. So finally I talked to a tech vs a service advisor an he chuckled and said it'd be just fine driving it a couple hundred miles home as Long as there was oil in it. We're all good now though. It's scheduled to get service c and a good steam bath on Wednesday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts