Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
CLS 320 CDI
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:mad:Hi guys. I already told something of this kind in some posts, but now I want to explain why I'm so angry against my nav.:mad:
A little preamble: many years ago I read on a brochure of a Chinese computer that it had a 16 bit technology motherboard. But the Italian translation of this into '16 pezzettini' could sound like "technology with 16 little pieces".
In the same way the 'power on' button showed 'Potere' (that's the one of a State President, of a King). Correct: they looked on a dictonary for 'bit' and found 'pezzetto= little piece', then for 'power' and found 'potere,potenza'; where is the problem?
:( This could help to undestand the following.
- In a lot of roundabouts it happens to hear by the nav voice the literal translation of 'abandon the roundabout after right turn'. Here it is: ''abbandonare la rotatoria dopo diritto giro'. On the dictionary they looked for 'right' and they found 'diritto' . But the phrase sounds like ' 'abandon the roundabout after straight on round' . It's not so helpful....
-On my 2006 Dvd is not present a road that is down there since 1994 :)mad:15 years ago!). It's not secondary, but it's between 2 towns of 70.000 inhabitants. The same situation in many other districts of Italy. Imagine all the latest roundabouts built in these years in all Europe... Even on latest dvd these situations have not been fixed. Never mind if 'the route' became 'la brota', a thing that doesn't exist but could sound like 'Broot'.
- :mad:The system probably is calibrated on a speed that's lower than my usual one, because it often happens that the correct corner has gone when the system tells to turn.:eek: More : it uses a lot of unusefull and irritating 'please...please' instead of speaking correctly and rapidly.
-Now, when I need to go straight on I'm able by myself to do this:D. I ask to be helped when I need to turn to right or left. So the huge cost of the system (TV+DVD+radio+Nav cost more than 4,000 Euros, 5,500 US$) ,for me, is not justified by the quality of speech and functionality. Many less expensive systems (from 300 to 1,200 Euros) are much better on many aspects. The environment is unchanged from 2006....Where is the attention to details and the capacity to fix problems?

·
Registered
CLS 320 CDI
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Same problems on all cars with this comand

:mad: I forgot. The same things happen to all the cars with the same comand: 211 W E series, SLK and so on.... :crybaby2:

·
Registered
CLS 320 CDI
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi guys. Here we are. During a trip in Sardinia I have been driven by my 'Navigator' into a private yard :surrender:. With precision and determination, on the main road, no obstacle for sats' signals, it said :'Turn to left, then close to right. ... Now close to right' . Done....Et voila' : a private yard. No mistake possible, no road on the right , nor near the car, neither far away....
More: it doesn't know large parts of 'Carlo Felice', the main road that crosses Sardinia, built years ago. Fortunately the environment in Villasimius was the one of the attached image or better...so my mind relaxed...:thumbsup:
Now MB has released DVD Upgrades, promising 'The perfection'. I will let you know...
Ciao

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOL..... I see what you're saying. I'm glad I bought the Garmin instead on going with the stock unit b/c I would've been pissed! Thanks for the information in the post though.

Let me know how the new DVD upgrades work out! Who knows? I may get one in the future. HAHAHAHAHAHAH

·
Registered
CLS 320 CDI
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
LOL..... I see what you're saying. I'm glad I bought the Garmin instead on going with the stock unit b/c I would've been pissed! Thanks for the information in the post though.
Let me know how the new DVD upgrades work out! Who knows? I may get one in the future. HAHAHAHAHAHAH
Hi guys. I've been thrown off road again! During a trip, looking for this middle eve site, when I got near a crossing , I was invited with 2 messages to go straight on (wrong way), in italian 'diritto'. I went straight on, but I was immediately invited to do a U turn. So turning back I was invited to go left (correctly). So now we have no dubts: it confuses right turns with straight on. Not bad for an expensive navigator....
The 'perfection' at this moment (3 months later from the release) cannot be found yet. The only user of this precious rarity that I know (a Slk owner) says that the old mistakes and equivocals are still there, on the new Dvd. No changhes. Well, well , very well ....

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 ML 350
140 Posts
Hi guys. I've been thrown off road again! During a trip, looking for this middle eve site, when I got near a crossing , I was invited with 2 messages to go straight on (wrong way), in italian 'diritto'. I went straight on, but I was immediately invited to do a U turn. So turning back I was invited to go left (correctly). So now we have no dubts: it confuses right turns with straight on. Not bad for an expensive navigator....
The 'perfection' at this moment (3 months later from the release) cannot be found yet. The only user of this precious rarity that I know (a Slk owner) says that the old mistakes and equivocals are still there, on the new Dvd. No changhes. Well, well , very well ....
How can you expect the MB navigation to find those new housing developments shown in your picture ? Give it a few hundred more years and MB will be right on top of it . :crybaby2:

·
Registered
CLS 320 CDI
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can you expect the MB navigation to find those new housing developments shown in your picture ? Give it a few hundred more years and MB will be right on top of it . :crybaby2:
You are right, Beerman. I thank you so much, because you gave to me a reason to laugh heartily , thank you again. :D
ciao

·
Registered
CLS 320 CDI
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys. Here I am again. Some days ago during the visit of a MB inspector for a 'hiss' of the differential of my car I took advantage to give to him a letter with a question (I could not be present personally). The meaning of my letter was about this:
I am sure that if my car had a defective software of the injection system that could cause a sink rate, MB would try to remedy as soon as possible installing new software without any charge.
Now, the Nav system software release 5.0 is clearly defective: I don't understand why I cannot receive a remedy, nor in warranty neither with my 5 years 'assistance agreement' (I don't know the therm in english) when I am sure that at this moment exists a 8.0 release. So the 'inspector' took away my letter and he told that the matter will be discussed in appropriate place. I will let you know the results of their discussion...

·
Registered
CLS 500
9 Posts
I agree...the MB nav is BEYOND crappy. My first real personal experience with auto NAV's was a Pioneer Z2 I had installed in my old G35...and then going from that to MB's "clunky, always takes you the longest route, get-ready-to-u-turn, oh-just-eff-it...i'll use the nav on my cell phone" system was a complete shock.

For the money we pay...its just crazy. I am doin a full audio/nav swap this winter and goin back to trusty pioneer. :mad:

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
It is not the sat nav that is the problem, but the people who do the mapping for the software. I live in China and therefore bought a good "off the shelf" sat nav for China, the type that attaches to the windscreen and plugs into the cigar lighter.

On my first 2000K trip covering four provinces and using the toll expressways there was no problem and I may add the road signs are in Chinese and I cannot read them, also I was alone on this journey.

Traveling through major cities no problem, but hit some of the B Class roads and the map is gone, only the directional arrow shows. Crazy thing is the B roads were there many years before the new expressways.

The chaps who develop the software and incorporate the mapping are at fault and not the sat nav itself.

·
Registered
06' CLS500 w/AMG Sport Package
85 Posts
It's no secret that MB NAV is not very good. The cheapest handheld unit you can buy is better than what we get, but it is what it is. Deal with it.

·
Registered
CLS 320 CDI
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
.......The chaps who develop the software and incorporate the mapping are at fault and not the sat nav itself.
I am in complete accordance with you Eric.
As a matter of fact I spoke about defecive software.
When I speak of this argument it's clear that the fault if of the software that includes
- the maps
- the links to the translations for each supported language
- the calculation of time left , distances in relation to speed
- the calculation of the current position on the map
and many other parameters
I think that at least the electronic device is error free. But as like as every electronic device it lives with its software, and if this is defective....
I'm sure : in 5.0 Europe release the maps and the links to the translation are absolutely incorrect.

·
Registered
CLS 320 CDI
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here it is the end of the matter: they at last replied. A summary of the concepts contained in their e-mail:

"Sorry for the inaccuracies detected, we wish to specify that the DVD containing the necessary data for satellite navigation are produced by outside companies specialized in this activity".......The mapping is a continuous and complex work in development and Mercedes-Benz is very sensitive to the news of the market to offer our customers a product up to date......Precisely for this purpose are available periodically updated DVD that Mercedes-Benz bought by such companies and sells through a network of official dealers. We regret not being able to meet your request but it is unfortunately not possible to provide this update for free.

Now, I'm not interested to know where they buy the dvd . I know that my system is working in a ridicolous way. Finally : they did not correct the bugs of their system installed on my car, even if I have a warranty with a full 5 years coverage. Bad thing....:mad:
Here in Italy they are promoting their products with a slogan written by Mr.Daimler himself 'The best or nothing'. I think that Mr.Diamler is turning over in his grave. :eek: .... I'm sorry for him...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts