Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have the annoying check engine light glowing. The dealer says it's the MAF and wants major $$ to replace it.

I've got a 99 ML320...and while looking around, I found a MAF replacement insert over on eBay Motors.

Since I'm a mechanically sound guy, I thought I'd check here first to see if this item is a legit way of fixing my problemo.

Link: (Item number: 8061928581)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AIR-...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Thanks in advance.
:)

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Pierburg makes a good replacement. I heard that a lot of these BOSCH inserts are actually not that good because they were a bad batch thrown out.

Several people tried them and they didnt work all that well.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
The inserts are mounted with tamper-resistant screws and are very touchy.
Thar's probably why mostly MAF sensors are sold with the "pipe" and have those tricky screws.
I think you might be safer buying the whole thing, like the used one here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merc...ryZ33557QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Even without big experience takes about 2 minutes, to unplug the wires, release 2 hose clamps and swap the whole thing.
Is that why dealer charge $200 for it?

·
Registered
1999 ML320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kajtek1 said:
Is that why dealer charge $200 for it?
Hey, they gotta pay for the Espresso machine in the waiting room :D

Thanks for the heads up guys.

·
Registered
99' ML320
14 Posts
DO it..

If you can find a cheap one on ebay, why not go for it.. i had a check engine light on for a while that was connected to the MAF and i replaced it with a used ebay one and the light has been gone for 2 months now. I first attempted to clean it with MAF cleaner but that was only a fix that lasted a week or 2 at most after i reset the CEL for a 50 dollar fix, why not try the one off ebay. Unless you are skeptical about used parts i would say go for it. When i received the one off of ebay, i cleaned it with MAF cleaner and then after drying i installed it in my car and have been driving with no CEL so far. Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts