Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of trading in my 08. Love my R class but dealership offering a huge discount on a new 2012 fully loaded R. Dealer has a 2012 R CDI with a sticker price of $68,795. They are offering me a price on the road of $56,300, with $25,000 for my trade and 1.99% interest rate. Thoughts on if its a good deal? My 08 R is paid for and its great not having a car. I love the R class and hate that they have stopped selling it in the U.S.A., so this is the last chance to have a new R class. Should I trade or is it better to keep my 08 with 34,000 miles thats paid for? What do you all think of the price?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thinking of trading in my 08. Love my R class but dealership offering a huge discount on a new 2012 fully loaded R. Dealer has a 2012 R CDI with a sticker price of $68,795. They are offering me a price on the road of $56,300, with $25,000 for my trade and 1.99% interest rate. Thoughts on if its a good deal? My 08 R is paid for and its great not having a car. I love the R class and hate that they have stopped selling it in the U.S.A., so this is the last chance to have a new R class. Should I trade or is it better to keep my 08 with 34,000 miles thats paid for? What do you all think of the price?
My first thoughts are that the Fed is killing us with the money printing. I paid just a wee bit more than $56k for our fully loaded 2007 R320, without a huge discount from sticker. And I'm earning a WHOLE LOT less money now than I was in 2007. Talk about a hidden tax, we're getting murdered out here!

Aside from the sticker price shock caused by the monetization of our national debt that seems like a pretty good deal. Yeah, you'll have to pony up an additional $31k, but they're giving you good trade-in value on the 2008. I really have a huge distaste for borrowing money to pay for cars, unless the interest rate is lower than you can get in a decent money market account, and 2% isn't (again thanks to the Fed's largess with our profligate government). So I would hesitate unless you can pony up the cash, but the other HUGE consideration is warranty.

The 2008 is not out of the woods for ridiculous maintenance and repair expenses once you're out of warranty and start putting on the miles. Based on experience, I would factor in a good $5-8k per year on repair/maintenance going forward (not including regular maintenance) if you didn't buy an extended. Taking that into consideration, starting fresh with a new warranty and the opportunity to extend that makes a lot of sense.

Finally, the 2008 had less than stellar side-impact crash test results, and that was addressed in 2009, so if you go with the new one it'll be safer in addition to having a better designed front end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts