Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Silver SLK Salsa/Black Interior
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GF was driving the car today and said the temperature gauge was acting oddly and a service light came on. (Glad she noticed!!) Ended up being the coolant light. I tried adding new coolant and it leaked right out onto the plastic engine guard. I took that off and checked all the hoses, which seem fine. It doesn't appear that there are any hose leaks at all. Also, there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust. I cranked the heat all the way up to try and pull heat off the engine to get it home, but no heat came through the vents, just cold air??

So I dried everything off and added more coolant and found the following. It appears that this plastic piece of the radiator(??) is cracked and the fluid is leaking from it. You can see what I believe to be a crack running perpendicular to the ribbing of the plastic piece.

Any assistance in troubleshooting this would be greatly assisted.
Also, the feasibility and cost-worthiness of a DIY repair or replacement?

Thanks for anyone's and everyone's help.

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor 1998
366 Posts
When my car hit the curb about 6 weeks ago, a plastic hose connector that comes from radiator side on the bottom snapped off, I had to replace the whole thing.

Those run relatively cheap... if you are lucky you can get a used one for about $100-200.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Not worth the money or time to repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts