Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything else seems to be lit up except the A\C dial, I was wondering if there's a bulb that may not be working on mine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
there is a light behind my a/c panel. i know this because the dash panel has been missing for ever now. i look at the light and socket every day!!!<br> <br> not sure if there is one in the knob its self or not. like with the heater and fan knobs.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I thought it was a bit strange that they would leave the dial in the dark. I'll head down to the dealers tomorrow and get a new bulb.<br> <br> F.Y.I My local dealer mentioned that Mercedes-Benz have reduced prices on parts for the older cars.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine is gone too, its not as easy a u think.<br> it isnt poss to pull the dial out like the other ones.<br> <br> the aircon dial and a few other things in the dash aparantly run off a fibre optic (one bulb).<br> <br> if u want to get light the whole panel has to be replaced ($$$). i just live with it, its not all that hot at night so i hardly use it. plus with all that orange and red i think blue seems a bit out of place.<br> <br> good luck louis

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just checked,,,there is a light inside the knob also,,,not sure how to take off the knob as mine was broken when i purchased the car,,,( probably because it doesn't just pull off like the others!!!),,,haven't got to working on it yet,,,hopefully someone will enlighten us on how to work on this area,,,<br> <br> i did remove the light plate under the dial,,,with the dial removed it just snapped out,,,kind of wish it would have been harder to remove as i promptly lost the plate after i took it out!!! oh well,,,more parts to look for,,,whenever i get to that project!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Instructions..

Remove all button switches carefully first. Then pull the wood grain cover out from the bottom end first. (The A/C dial will come out with it). I found a burnt out bulb on the actual Dial itself. Haven't got a new one yet though.<br> <br> Louis what do you mean by that they are all fibre optically connected with one bulb? Where would this bulb be?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Instructions..

i know, i thought it was weired, merc in sydney said that that was the case. to be honest i thought he was talking out of his arse.<br> <br> he said that it and a few other things (mostly add-on extras), ran off one bulb behind the dash somewhere.<br> <br> if its as easy to change as i hope, then im keen to fix it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool!

I bought the bulb from benz yesterday (aud2.75) and fitted it. It looks great, I didn't think the in inside of the dial would illuminate too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ac dial

I checked into mine and there is also a bulb in the knob that illuminates the blue pointer in addition to the one that illuminates around the dial. The knob did simply pull off with a big tug!<br> <br> There are also lights behind each of the heater and fan knobs that illuminate the pointer. All of mine are burned out!<br> <br> As for fiber optics...it does seem that the rear defroster and rear seat light switches use fiber.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sunroof / Antenna Switches

I have several questions regarding operation of switches. One: For some reason, my antenna switch has nothing at all to do with the actual operation of the antenna. It simply goes up when the car is on, and goes down when the car is off. I'd like to be able to put it down when I'm listening to a cassette or CD, but for some reason the switch doesn't control it. Just a minor annoyance.<br> <br> Also, are the switch for the sunroof control (on the console in my sedan) and the switch for the antenna (also on the console) supposed to be illuminated? They don't light up at night. It is interesting to note that my rear dome light button DOES light up, but only when the rear dome is switched on (which makes it a bit of a pain for the passenger to find in the dark) AND the rear defroster only lights when the defroster is on. I wonder if any of these are supposed to be dimly lit when the headlights are on, or not.<br> <br> A last question is whether or not my 4-way flasher switch (between the two front window switches on the center console) is supposed to light up at night. It seems to me that an important red switch like that SHOULD light when the headlights are on. I know it does light up in my mother's '86 300E.<br> <br> Thanks much,<br> Jerrold

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Sunroof / Antenna Switches

Yes, they should all light up when the headlights are on (actually, parking lights). There is a single bulb behind the pushbutton unit that sends light to each switch through little fiber-optic tubes, it looks like a small black wire to each switch. Replace the bulb and they will all light up (can't tell in daylight, though, they are dim). Be careful, you can break the new bulb when re-installing the p/b unit. BT, DT. The bulbs are about $3 each from the dealer or about $0.50 from online MB places.

·
Registered
79' 300D, 85' 300D, 99' CLK430
59 Posts
All my dash and instrament panel lights went out just a few days ago. Is there only one bu...

All my dash and instrament panel lights went out just a few days ago. Is there only one bulb for all the lights or multiple bulbs? My fuses are all in good condition, so I'm sure it's the bulb. How and were do I reach this bulb[?]

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
i think only the defroster lights up, and the hazzard 4way flasher whatever only lights ...

i think only the defroster lights up, and the hazzard 4way flasher whatever only lights up when its activated... nothing of mine glows dim when the lgihts are on either...

also, does anyone know what color wire in the area of the radio is connected to the headlights so the radio can illuminate, (or dim, with my new radio) when the headlights turn on? i gave up looking for one when i was originally installing the radio becasue i needed sleep and was quite sick of looking at those moldy wires ;p

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes 300D
1,249 Posts
I ended up running a wire from the headlight switch to the illumination wire of the radio....

I ended up running a wire from the headlight switch to the illumination wire of the radio. The radio just needed +12v to 'dim' the display (its not an adjustable dimmer on this radio...just bright or dim) so I took my multimeter and found a wire from the headlight switch that got power only when the lights were on. This should work for you as well :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.