Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
see signature
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe I don't understand how the rear differentials in these work. My '78 280CE only has power to the right wheel. If there is any ice at all, the right wheel spins away and there is never any power on the left wheel. I thought both wheels had power in these coupes?

·
Registered
430 Posts
That is normal. I don't know if a posi-trac is available for these cars. If you are having traction problems, try putting more weight in the trunk.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Yup couple 20-40lb bags of your favorite items will work fine. This year I used logs. It is an open rear diff. You can get a LSD for this car but its going to cost ~ 2g. There is a guy that sells a spring clutch set for a couple hundred but those don't last very long.

·
Registered
see signature
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
huh..... I always thought it had a LSD. Well, at least I know there's nothing wrong with it! Thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had an 81 240d on the farm once. It snowed about a foot. I put 200 lbs of ceramics in the trunk and 3 passengers. I was amazed. It went thru unplowed snow up to the bumpers, drug the undercarriage the whole time, but I could not get it stuck. That was so much fun.

·
Registered
see signature
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's sort of amazing that for as advanced as these cars were in so many ways, the drivetrain is so far behind. Hell, my '65 Rambler station wagon had a "Twin Grip" rear differential.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts