Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am enclosing a few pictures of various mystery components on my 1981 240D (Manual Transmission/California Version). I would appreciate it if you guys could compare it to yours and tell me what is missing or if my components are configured incorrectly. Also, I would like to tighten up my throttle cable. There is a lot of slack in it. So much so that the engine will not shut off when I push the STOP lever. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
There is no hose missing from your injection pump. The opening is to sense atmospheric pressure and correct for it

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
The two empty screw holes on the top of your valve cover are there for the switchover valve (for the automatic transmission/EGR), so you're not missing anything there.

The cable for the fast idle can be tightened by the screw above your finger.

The empty ball can be equiped with a damper, so that releasing the accelerator pedal is not so sudden. It is only to be found on cars with manual transmission.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Nothings missing. Like all car manufacturers, Mercedes installs empty holes/brackets/objects for features used on other models. It reduces the investment required to offer options and reduces the number of parts needed to keep in stock for spares.

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AWESOME! I am learning a ton from you guys. Govert, do you know the part number for that damper? I have a manual transmission, so I am assuming I should have one.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
Part number should be A6170700567 (older numbers are 6170700267 and 6170700467).

Look first if you've got a ball joint head on the injection pump to connect the other part of the damper too.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
The empty ball can be equiped with a damper, so that releasing the accelerator pedal is not so sudden. It is only to be found on cars with manual transmission.

I'm missing that part as well. I think the spare engine from the parts car has one.:cool:

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All of my questions have been answered except one from my OP. What is this 'bracket'? Is something broken/missing? Perhaps something throttle related?

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be a slot for wire holder (zip tie) to prevent the wire from getting in contact with the linkages.
Good point. I wonder why mine appears to have been bent. I am pretty sure I didn't do it. It seems pretty heavy duty, so it would have taken some brute force to bend it.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Mine is also at an angle.

On looking at your photo again, maybe somebody placed some weight in there, or used it as a mounting point for something heavy.

Either way it should not affect functionality. If anything you might be able to bend it back. But the stress/stretch on the opposite side of the metal might cause it to crack and break.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
Im going to the dealer for that dampner right now... Maybe It'll get rid of my bucking in 2nd?

EDIT: $92 from the dealer... screw that :O

That is expensive, I payed about €20 at the dealer, but that was some time ago.

It wouldn't have stopped bucking in 2nd gear though. All it does is lessen the shock when you suddenly release the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
You're welcome, that part warehouse has served me well for many years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts