Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a 1996 c36, and was recently checking out a c36 in my town. When I was revving the engine (when the car was idling in P gear), the engine will not allow me to rev over 4000 rpm. Whenever I hit 4000 rpm, the engine hesitates. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the engine. Please help.

Regards,

Ben

·
Registered
98 mecedes c43
69 Posts
i dont think the car you planing to do will do that my c43 does the same thing and the c36...

i dont think the car you planing to do will do that my c43 does the same thing and the c36 you were looking at should have been a 1997. i could be wrong but when i had a 1995 c36 i neutral drop it a couple of times but with the c43 you cant do that because mercedes doesnt want you to get a new transmission because you were neutral droping it.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Whoa, did you hear a noise? Anyhow.

The cars have rev limiters at the red line so that...

Whoa, did you hear a noise? Anyhow.

The cars have rev limiters at the red line so that the engine does not over rev.

Also, when the engine is not under load (in Park or Neutral), the engine will not rev above 4000 rpm (because there is little reason to rev above that point while the car is standing still).

-s-

·
Registered
230G
206 Posts
You're right.

Hi guys, the C36 won t allow u to get more then 4000rpm on P or N, it s a special electronic limiter if i am not wrong, so bad u can t hear that lovely symphony!!

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG
4 Posts
rev limiter

Ben,
I just posted the same question...I here in Japan and I just experienced the same thing...if you get a response pls share let me know.
Etodd

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG
4 Posts
rev limiter

BNz4eva,
My 1995 C36 does the same thing at 4k RPM ...it will no go any higher on RPM in P or N..is this normal?
Etodd

·
Registered
C36 C43
98 Posts
Re: rev limiter

BNz4eva,
My 1995 C36 does the same thing at 4k RPM ...it will no go any higher on RPM in P or N..is this normal?
Etodd
Yes it is made this way. In those gears you dont need to rev over 4000 rpm[}:)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts