Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Premium Member
1972 280CE
Discussion Starter #1
All, my car is continuously leaning to the left (05 S55), so much so that tight turns are causing the front fender to bow out. I tried to adjust the height going into both the SDS and using my AUTEL to where I thought that the car is level. The system then asks me to enter a range (4.8-5.5 degrees for the front and -1.9 - 1.4 for the rear). I tried to enter some dummy values here but neither system would take them.

The car is now throwing an ABC code (level calibration not completed) and when I cut the engine, it would go back to it's leaning position.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
All, my car is continuously leaning to the left (05 S55), so much so that tight turns are causing the front fender to bow out. I tried to adjust the height going into both the SDS and using my AUTEL to where I thought that the car is level. The system then asks me to enter a range (4.8-5.5 degrees for the front and -1.9 - 1.4 for the rear). I tried to enter some dummy values here but neither system would take them.

The car is now throwing an ABC code (level calibration not completed) and when I cut the engine, it would go back to it's leaning position.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.
Hi Al,

Been there tried that it doesn't work :wink

As you have found it then locks itself with that fault code.

You have to get an angle finder gauge and use a level 4 post lift or pit to get the Angles, and use the SDS to calibrate it.

If you search Airmatic Calibration look for my user name or @pinkster username we have both explained this in depth several times, where to get the measurements exactly and how to do it ;)

IIRC there is also a post from someone else who gave a whole list of angle figures that related to measurements at the wheel arch to ground or wheel centre ;)

Rear Measurement is taken from Driveshaft Angle, front measurement is taken from one of the lower arms, at a certain point, I can't remember exactly right now, it has been a long while !!

EDIT ............

Awwww, c'mon Al, after I posted this I just found it within 30 seconds using Forum Search .............

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2958074-adjusting-storing-airmatic-levels.html

HTH

Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Now that you have your SDS sorted :)thumbsup:) what "F", "f" and "i" messages are you getting when you run a quick test?

W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Hi @Triple cranks ,

He is getting the Code for an unsuccessful Calibration, the Module then locks itself from operating until a successful Calibration is carried out :wink

This also happens with ABC as well as Airmatic, and is due to guessing the figures lol, the ECU is not that dumb it knows they are not correct having regard to the various sensor readings ;)

HTH,

Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Oh ok, I get it. So you cannot run a quick test if the leveling calibrations are not correct? I did not know that. Learning every day :wink
Still trying to sort my windows activation.....

Premium Member
1972 280CE
Discussion Starter #6
Hi @Triple cranks ,

He is getting the Code for an unsuccessful Calibration, the Module then locks itself from operating until a successful Calibration is carried out :wink

This also happens with ABC as well as Airmatic, and is due to guessing the figures lol, the ECU is not that dumb it knows they are not correct having regard to the various sensor readings ;)

HTH,
Will this work? https://www.amazon.com/Calculated-Industries-7434-AccuMASTER-Inclinometer/dp/B0148M7P4O/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=angle+finder&qid=1553783177&s=gateway&sr=8-15

This is kind of BS, if there are level sensors, they should be able to give you a reading to work from.

Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
What I have heard ABC may be the tricky, normal airmatic calibrates pretty easily if put angle in mid of suggested range (voltage of the sensor must be inside limits too). Voltage can be fooled by lifting car up and making some gymnastic with suspension (if stupid extra low height is wanted). But like said ABC might be different animal here...

Premium Member
1972 280CE
Discussion Starter #8
So quick update on this. It looks like when I had the suspension rebuilt , the mechanic moved the level sensor out of position so it was pretty much cocked upside down. After undoing the bolt in the inner fender, we were able to move the sensor back into position and the car is now sitting right. I still can't get the level setup however so as it's not accepting my random values. I hope to get my four post lift back (there's a car tying it up) and may will it on there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts