Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a depressing post today on how our MLs are out of the leagues to compete with any modern car today. Are they really that down on power that we can barely, if at all, keep up with a Nissan Versa for example? The truth is these trucks are very, very heavy and could use more hp. Even though if I wanted to go fast I would have better luck getting a more performance-catered car but I make do with what I have and I only have my ML. The truck is very useful and there is always the urge to run another car (in a safe and non hazard manner) but without embarrassment of losing, putting the triple pointed star to shame. So is there anything modern we can beat these days?

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
I always run my ML in a NON safe and very hazardous way when im driving alone. I love taking cars, trucks and other SUV's off the line with a V8 ML. The truck looks fierce and sounds like a beast with the V8. Im currently looking at a 55 because i want the HP gain.
I have noticed that you have been looking for SEVERAL different ways to customize your ML 4WD430 and gain HP and i hear you. But you are running a heavy, SUV, with only about 260 h.p. in a 10 year old + engine. Dont expect to be able to overtake anything or everything else on the road. Just know when that bloody 02 BMW X5 pulls up beside you at a red light trying to take you and get your lane, he wont expect what the ML gives him :)

I love this truck, i love the suspension set-up, the V8 sound and power, and the go anywhere-ness ability. It might not be the fastest girl in town, but ill take her looks and functionality over any other on the road for being 12 years older then the newest
moldels.

You are also running Motor Trends 98' Truck of the Year.
It was worth $47,000.00 when new in 2000.
ITS 4678 LBS
And its 0-60 MPH is about 8 seconds.

Like i said bud, dont expect it to be more than it is.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
It ain't a race car; why bother?

The performance of my ML is, as the old Rolls-Royce ads used to say, adequate.

I think the last actual "contest of speed" in which I engaged was at the intersection in front of the Valley McDonalds in Juneau, AK perhaps a decade ago. I had a somewhat tricky yet still civilized Chrysler 300M and some little punk in a black Neon pulled up beside me revving his engine. I looked at the thing and thought, "punk with a fart-box" and when the light turned green nailed it. The little punk blew my doors off; must have spent the GNP of the whole third world on the engine in that thing. So, OK, he was faster off a redlight, but the price was he was driving a Neon. Which would you rather troll with, a Neon or a 300M? I never met a woman that didn't just snuggle into those American-soft leather seats in the 300M; the German seats in the 300C are torture racks by comparison; you need to think about such things. Hell, if you're not married, the seats in an ML are no prize either.

Really fast cars always come at a price. You can pay it either in lack of comfort and high maintenance or you can pay it in stratospheric prices for the cars. I think the ML does a pretty good job of splitting the difference. It isn't the fastest or the most expensive, but it is nicer than anything that is cheaper and faster and cheaper than anything that is nicer and faster.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All these comments are very true, but are there modern cars that we can keep with anymore? What about the guys in the honda civics with their fartcan exhausts?

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Other than the new SI, the 2012 civic line up is at 140 hp at about 2750LBS
The SI is at 201 h.p at 7000 RPM. , 2910LBS

That fart-can will leave you in its stench.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
Why would you want to keep up with

a shitbox with a fartcan exhauset? The punk in the shitbox lives in a very different world from the world in which I live; there's really nothing he does that I'm interested in doing.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
a shitbox with a fartcan exhauset? The punk in the shitbox lives in a very different world from the world in which I live; there's really nothing he does that I'm interested in doing.
And thats the bottom line of this discussion :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
I found a depressing post today on how our MLs are out of the leagues to compete with any modern car today. Are they really that down on power that we can barely, if at all, keep up with a Nissan Versa for example? The truth is these trucks are very, very heavy and could use more hp. Even though if I wanted to go fast I would have better luck getting a more performance-catered car but I make do with what I have and I only have my ML. The truck is very useful and there is always the urge to run another car (in a safe and non hazard manner) but without embarrassment of losing, putting the triple pointed star to shame. So is there anything modern we can beat these days?
Power is everything. Until you have rotating parts. Then, it's all drivability in the range of performance that the car is designed to operate. The wife's old 320 motored up a steep hill to our neighborhood at a low engine rpm -- at the highest speed that it was prudently possible to operate under the circumstances -- and the feel to the driver -- especially compared to similar cars -- is that the 320 was simply loafing. And, it was--in that particular driving situation... which is not uncommon. And, the "300" is an even better engine as measured on every meaningful criteria.

P.S., I just read the rest of the thread. I was talking about the wife's C320 and C300. The ML500 has a lot of nut. I take porches off the line without even realizing they're a bit ticked until they go by sounding like they're dragging tin cans behind them. The "500" in the ML is like having your own German-made mustang with 16 plugs. That's why it was among Ward's top 10 engine picks for as showcased in an '03 ML.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This makes me somewhat happy, the ML being able to somewhat keep up

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This ML did pretty good on a track against a more suitable track car. I wouldn't do autocross with an ML lol

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz ML55 AMG
22 Posts
There is always something bigger, faster, lower or cooler. But when you pull up to a curb or stop anywhere or just go to the grocery store Its always the Mercedes that gets the looks, the nod, the smile and the "thats a nice car (ml)" doesn't matter if its sitting next to a brand new toyota, dodge or ford. Never really saw anyone drive through the grocery store and roll down their window and tell the guy in the camry "hey, nice ride" So if you want power in your ML, then just buy an ML55 AMG. You'll be happy. I know I am.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
I am still happy with the performance of the ML we have here. It does dust off more
cars than people would think. It is the lightest of all the V8 MLs.

If I am in the mood and a ricer wants run at the lights I will do it the 4matic E500. It is
a missile compared to the ML.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Like noodles, I'm not disappointed with the performance of the ML... nor do I intend to race anybody with it. It has quite enough grunt to pass, merge onto highways, and make it through orange lights.

Reality is, as we are all well aware, this truck isn't a car. Doesn't handle like one and certainly doesn't accelerate like one. For that reason I just don't see the need to invest more money into performance upgrades. Besides, I don't think that the gains will be that appreciable. Adding ten horsepower to a cathedral won't make that big a difference.

IMHO the money is much better spent on an alcantara headliner or a second, fun car. Find an old 3-series. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I agree with a lot of the comments on here but honestly, in my ML55, I feel supremely confident that I can take, or even give a good run for its money, any truck and even some modern cars.

0-60mph = 6.5 secs.

My ML55 puts a smile on my face every day I drive it.

I love it and wont trade it in till I can afford a 2009+ ML63.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Let me put it this way, I drove a base model manual Subaru Imprezza and that was, well, fun actually. All for $18,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 20 of 27 Posts