Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEL
109 Posts
No, it's not supposed to be bent, but I don't think that would do any harm at all. It's just meant to directly connect with the arm coming off the mount on the rear sway bar. You could bend it back to straight, but I don't think it would make much difference.

Is there a problem you're trying to solve?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEL
109 Posts
Yeah, that does look a bit warped. But again, as long as it moves smoothly up and down with the arm, it should work fine. Here's a pic of the one I just refreshed and put on my car - the valve at right, without the collapsed mount.
IMG_20200623_145140698.jpg

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a pic from the side view i have not bolted it to the car as yet so could straighten in the vice

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEL
109 Posts
I just took this of my car, looking straight up at the valve as installed. Is that helpful? And yes, I think you could simply straighten / flatten the arm in a vice.
IMG_20200629_101502134.jpg

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks will have to take it off as i mounted it today hard to straighten in a vice as cant get the full arm in but will give it a go again

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,653 Posts
Gents.

I get that some have bent arms on/from their cars here when examined..

Weren't these valves working on theses cars [with 'bent' arms] for years... before being taken apart, for presumably differing reasons?

Normal operation, I should not think, would cause a lateral deflection of that arm enough to BEND it. Seriously??

I wish I had an image of my 560 valve/arm here. I dunno if mine is in the distorted/bent camp or not.

So... What else might be the story here?

Enquiring mind standing by....

Why are we removing these arms to bend/straighten from 'until now' great working SLS suspension systems?
I'm not changing my terrific SLS arm 'cause someone else's looks different.
I have a little mind I guess, but I want a better reason to affect a change.

Good Luck & cheers all!

MBL

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEL
109 Posts
I too am a little perplexed.

@benz1 can you clarify what the problem is that you're trying to solve? Is it that the bolt on the end of the connector will not go through the hole in the valve arm because it is so distorted?

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was doing work on the car and had to remove the valave and noticed it was bent not sure if this was normal.
Im assuming once the arm is set it does not move from its position
Thinking about it that lever would take a fair bit of force to bend it

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEL
109 Posts
Got it. So it is not supposed to be bent, but a small bend shouldn't affect functionality.

Actually the arm moves up and down constantly as the car is driving. It's attached to the rear sway bar. The idea is that if the rear end is riding too low, the arm is raised and more hydraulic fluid flows to the rams/accumulators, raising the rear. Once level, the arm returns to it's neutral position parallel with the ground and fluid stops flowing into the rams/accumulators. If the rear is too high, the arm is pushed down, causing fluid to flow out of the rams/accumulators, lowering the rear of the car.

·
Registered
1981 300SD, 1976 300D
931 Posts
I think you’re all overthinking it, it doesn’t matter how bent it is laterally. The range of motion is vertical and the bend you’re showing me is horizontal. What I’m saying is, it will move in the sAme range whether or not there is some curve, which may have occurred during install (I.e. The link will bolt to the arm if the arm is bent a few degrees, but not if it’s dead straight)... go ahead and straighten it if you want, it won’t change the action of the SLS one bit :)

Reactions: RobertD

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,304 Posts
I think he's asking if it's supposed to be that way or not. The answer is "no". It did not come from the factory that way. Should you try to straighten it? I think I probably would, just because it isn't right, and I'm a little ADHD. Just be careful not to put too much side force on the shaft while you're working on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts