Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 MT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my SLK out after a long winter in the Northeast and apparently a field mouse used it as a winter home. The heater fan seems to be straining and the smell of a field mouse nest fills the cabin. There are a few small pieces of house insulation under the hood (some insulation that was stored in the garage has been nibbled). I suspect a nest was made inside the air hose leading to the heater. Does this sound plausible and if so can I clean it out?

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 MT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 16Falcon and Kirill!

Sure enough there was a field mouse nest in and around the cabin air filter. I got all the nest junk out and I cleaned the interior plastic with detergent and a cloth as best I could before installing a new filter. Also took off the neighboring bottom plate which had some crap. Fan works fine now. Smell is not as strong, but there is still an annoying musty odor that comes in with the air (lots of those molecules throughout the ventilation system I suspect). If that doesn't dissipate in time, I suppose I'll try spraying some air-freshener in the ventilation system (to the extent I can access it). Any suggestions on dealing with the lingering odor would be most welcome. :)

·
Registered
99 slk 230 sport
144 Posts
I don't know if the will work, but you could try spraying Lysol or Febreeze as deep in there as you can get it.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
okieslk - 3/31/2005 3:54 PM

I don't know if the will work, but you could try spraying Lysol or Febreeze as deep in there as you can get it.
Don't use Lysol. The smell will drive you crazy.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
There is a product from Interdynamics (sp) to get rid of smell in a car's heating system - you turn on recirculate and let that stuff to get sucked in.

I know because bought a can, but never used it ;)
if you interested it's for sale ;)

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 MT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kirill - 4/1/2005 10:03 AM

There is a product from Interdynamics (sp) to get rid of smell in a car's heating system - you turn on recirculate and let that stuff to get sucked in.
Thanks again! I found it ("pure air"). I'll let you know how it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts