Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had General Exclaim UHP's installed yesterday and, although they both appear to be beaded properly, there is considerably more rubber on the outside lip on one rear vs the other rear. Front tires are identical. The backsides on both rears are identical.

I took them back to the installer and he stated there is nothing wrong and not to worry about it. He said he set 35psi in all 4 tires but when I checked the one with less rubber on the outside lip it was at 28. He took all the air out, refilled it to 35 psi and dunked it in water to test for leaks. He found nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is it just the tire or do I need another installer?

Attachments

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, reyna. Are they the same size tires and the same-width wheels (if you bought used it's possible someone bought a replacement wheel of different width)? If you're sure they are all the same then yes, I would be finding a different tire shop. When you took them back did he dismount and remount the one oddity or just check pressure and for leaks? If he didn't dismount and remount that suggests he is not terribly concerned with customer service or safety. (And his attention detail suggests he could have put one tire on that is a different size, too, so read the sidewalls to be sure. And for those of you that think that couldn't happen -- including the wheel possibility -- the short time I worked in a tire/suspension/brake/alignment shop exposed me to more disgusting things than I care to recall, and yeah, I saw the odd-size tire thing, too.

Good luck with it, reyna, but definitely be the squeaky wheel on this until you're satisfied it is correct. (They cynical side of me wants to suggest that you draft up an assumption of risk and indemnification agreement and ask your installer to sign it, indicating that he explicitly agrees to be liable for any and all damages that may result from that tire and wheel setup....)

Take care and enjoy the ride -- once it is squared away,
Greg

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,488 Posts
I don't know if you read the DOT numbers. In one spot on the tire you have molded DOT mark and than in the spot behind it are numbers. They indicate week and last 2 digits of year of manufacture. Make sure all tires are manufactured at the same time.
I would suspect that you've got tires from different molds and that is what makes the difference.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for responding Greg! I posted over on the tire forum (20 views / 0reponses). I checked the sidewall and they were exactly the same. I didnt measure rim width before they were installed but measuring from the outside they are exactly the same. I'll bring the wheel back to see if he will remount the one with the shorter / less tire on the outside lip beyound that I guess I'll have to find another installer and see if I can get my money back.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if you read the DOT numbers. In one spot on the tire you have molded DOT mark and than in the spot behind it are numbers. They indicate week and last 2 digits of year of manufacture. Make sure all tires are manufactured at the same time.
I would suspect that you've got tires from different molds and that is what makes the difference.
Thanks Kajtek1 ~

I just checked the DOT numbers.

More Lip:

DOT HW4U 3PJ 1607

Less Lip:

DOT HW4U 3PJ 1607

Exactly the same unless I'm looking in the wrong area?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Thanks Kajtek1 ~

I just checked the DOT numbers.

More Lip:

DOT HW4U 3PJ 1607

Less Lip:

DOT HW4U 3PJ 1607

Exactly the same unless I'm looking in the wrong area?
Hi, reyna. No, you have the same numbers. That's the equal of a VIN in the tire world.

I wouldn't necessarily demand my money back; unfortunately mistakes happen and the issue is getting them corrected (and then avoiding this place in the future).

It sounds as though the wheels are the same (just measure bead to bead on the two rear wheels while they are on the car, you don't need to pull it off), so from all appearances the bead simply didn't seat fully, this can happen if the installer isn't paying attention. Thus, he should:

1. Remove the wheel/tire from the car.
2. Remove all weights from the wheel.
3. Dismount the tire and remove it from the rim.
4. Inspect and clean the bead area on the wheel (sometimes they can get dirty/sticky, especially if anyone ever used that flat-fix in a can crap or worse, the balance-and-prevent-flats goo).
5. Inspect the tire bead itself for irregularities that can cause this issue. Sometimes there is mold "flashing" around the inner edge of the bead which simply wasn't properly cut off at the factory (more common with "blems" and "seconds", it doesn't hurt anything if properly dealt with) and if the installer doesn't cut it off or at least pay close attention when mounting (depending on the amount of the excess, it will hang and cause the bead not to seat. Even if the excess is only in one location on the bead, it can hang and if it doesn't go in, the rest of the bead will not.
6. If everything looks good and he remounts the tire with the proper solution it will probably pop right back in -- properly.
7. Balance the assembly.
8. Reinstall wheel/tire and torque to spec.

If he wants to argue with you, ask to speak to the owner. If this installer is the owner and he's balking about this, then ask him if he wants to speak with a judge and jury. Be diplomatic, not argumentative but secure your rights and don't back down: you're the one in the right here. Tell him you have gently discussed this with an attorney (hey, I don't represent you and am not licensed in your state, but I am an attorney, so you're not lying...) and he should make this right.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey Greg, do you do divorces?? ME->:argue:<-My Wife

Jeff
Sure, send the jet over and we'll talk over dinner when I get there...I need a vacation anyway. :big laugh:

Jeff, that was a clever use of the smilie, it got a grin from me.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,088 Posts
perhaps i missed it but i didn't see confirmation that all rims were the same.
the back of the spokes should have stampings on them identifying rim specs
e.g. offset, lip design, width....yes? are they the same for all four?

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
perhaps i missed it but i didn't see confirmation that all rims were the same.
the back of the spokes should have stampings on them identifying rim specs
e.g. offset, lip design, width....yes? are they the same for all four?
Yes indeed ~ The two rears (which are in question) are exactly the same / indentical in all regards. This is a staggered fitment so the two fronts match and the two rears match but the rears are wider than the fronts.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
In his post 4 if said if measured them from the outside, I think he means wheels and not tires, which is why I referenced measuring the rims from bead to bead...but you are right and that should be clarified.
If they are the same width then off to the shop he goes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts